Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary in Israel for very modern daughter
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 4:49 am
Perhaps look into Beerot Bat Ayin? I went there and there were many levels of yiddishkeit, and Torah was infused with many other creative outlets such as gardening, artwork, music etc.

Re Bar Ilan, without going into lashon hara etc... after speaking with a woman involved in managing the program and interacting with the girls themselves, it's not the kind of place you would want to send you daughter

etky

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:01 am
Migdal Oz and Lindenbaum come to mind.
I think they are good fits from what OP describes. They are both gemara oriented.
There is also Ein Hanatziv where pants shouldn't be a problem. As long as she doesn't mind the heat. It's near Beit Shean.
My two niece studied there, on the Israeli program before the army.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:16 am
Didn’t read this whole thread & I have no schools to suggest BUT
Just want to say OP that you sound like a great parent.
Your dd is very lucky to have you.
Wish I had a parent like you growing up.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:48 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Off the top of my head, MMY or harova.

But here's a helpful link, this may be a good starting point for you.

https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis/womens

And good news: there are grants for this type of yeshiva and seminary, at least according to a NCYI bulletin I saw last year. In addition to MASA.
Hope my info's still current and hatzlacha!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:52 am
duplicate post

Last edited by PinkFridge on Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:52 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Yup, as a matter of fact, I'm a MO woman who wears skirts and covers my elbows. But OP specifically said that her daughter wears pants and short sleeves.

There are really two issues here:
(1) The degree of external frumkeit observances. IMO, a truly Modern Orthodox institution will give more leeway on the dress code. There are plenty of girls who wear long sleeves and long skirts in Midreshet Lindenbaum, but a skirt that skims the knee won't cause problems.
(2) The hashkafic stance, which can differ on issues like Zionism, but also on issues like women's involvement in learning Gemara, giving public divrei Torah, participating in Women's Tefillah groups, etc.

On both those scores, I think Shaalvim is on the right vs. the left. This isn't a value judgment, just a question whether it's a fit for OP's daughter.

OP, is your daughter ready to continue with a dress code? I assume that the suggestions so far have one, even if an informal one. And I think it's fantastic that your daughter wants to continue with formal Torah learning.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:55 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Perhaps look into Beerot Bat Ayin? I went there and there were many levels of yiddishkeit, and Torah was infused with many other creative outlets such as gardening, artwork, music etc.

Re Bar Ilan, without going into lashon hara etc... after speaking with a woman involved in managing the program and interacting with the girls themselves, it's not the kind of place you would want to send you daughter

I know you don't want to prolong the Bar Ilan conversation but I was also thinking that a college wouldn't be optimal for OP's daughter. But is the Bar Ilan Experience different than going straight to university?

crbc

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 8:31 am
teachkids wrote:
Based on the girls I know who went there I'm not sure how true that is. But you can't judge a school just by examples.

However I don't know anyone who applied to both michlalah and shalavim- too far apart in the types of girls that go

Lol, my DD applied and got accepted to both Michlalah and Shalavim this year, ended up choosing Michlalah but both are great schools.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:38 am
Hi OP, I don't know where you are located, but in NY, the seminaries come to the high schools for an open house night. You get to meet and learn about the schools.

I'm on Long Island, with two daughters having graduated from different high schools and they both did this.

One of my daughters went to Machon Maayan and the second to Tiferet.

Machon Maayan sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for.

It's a small school and really caters the learning to each girl. They also go on many trips taking the learning outside to the actual biblical place where it occurred. The girls also have to incorporate chesed into the learning schedule.

Best of luck in finding the perfect fir for your daughter.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:19 am
What about Midreshet Moriah?

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:38 pm
Op, I must comment and tell you how impressed I am with the way you describe your daughter. It must be really hard and it’s amazing how you fully accept her and find ways for her to grow in her own way! I would personally recommend michlala. It’s very academic and they have great teachers. Wishing you hatzlacha and continued strength to be such a great mom!

hotcocoa1234

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:53 pm
Scharfmans

teachkids

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:58 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Op, I must comment and tell you how impressed I am with the way you describe your daughter. It must be really hard and it’s amazing how you fully accept her and find ways for her to grow in her own way! I would personally recommend michlala. It’s very academic and they have great teachers. Wishing you hatzlacha and continued strength to be such a great mom!

Michlalah generally doesn't have girls who wear pants though

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:07 pm
I hear you, but the academics are really high there and if there’s no pressure to be “bais yaakovy” she may be ok with complying.. doesn’t sound like she always wears pants...
just a thought

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 2:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My eldest dd is very modern (as opposed to our very not modern family). She wears pants sometimes, short sleeves, commutes to a co-ed school versus the all-girls school she was originally in. But she is still frum (keeps shabbos and kosher at least), very respectful wholesome girl and dh and I are fully supportive. She has brought up interest in going to learn in Israel. She has made it clear she doesn’t want to go to any place Bais Yaakov-y. She wants real intensive learning “like the boys.”

I have no clue where to begin because she wants something so different from what the girls that she grew up with are wanting. We have 1 years left and she really brought this up out of the blue. I told her she should start asking her guidance counselor, but any help where I should begin to look? I’m super happy that she is still interested in Judaism but I’m really stepping out of my comfort zone with this one! And I don’t think our rav would know although I can get dh to ask.

I would love to have even a basic list of possible seminaries that she and I can research together.

Thank you for any help you can give! Even if it’s to say that no such seminary exists!

Start here

https://www.yu.edu/israel-program/gis/womens

Your daughter is probably going to need to differentiate between the kind of schools where girls who wear pants and short sleeves go, even though the school has a different dress code, and schools that allow pants and short sleeves (which are much less common).

While TVA's dress code is strict, it has a high level of learning that she may enjoy.

Apart from the lashon hara, I don't think that Bar Ilan has the type of Torah studies that your DD wants. I did get a chuckle out of the dress code for women: "On campus: shirt required at all times...."

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:23 pm
Wow!! I am so blown away by all of the suggestions I've received!! Thank you thank you!! And to everyone's compliments, thank you! It hasn't been easy. She's our first child and dh and I had her whole life planned out in our heads but you know "man plans, G-d laughs." But I think in my head how much worse things could be. I've written down all of your suggestions and we will go through them and research them. DD also sent an email to her guidance counselor and we are waiting to hear back.

As far as a dress code she is okay with one as long as it isn't very strict. The skirts she wears are almost knee length, a little bit shorter, some are maxi skirts, ultra long that she trips over or has to tie up. Her tops are a mix between short sleeves, sleeves that cover the elbow and collarbone completely and ones that don't. And she wears pants, sometimes with a long tunic. There's a specific instagram that she gets her style ideas from, I can't remember but it seems that pants and knee-length tops are what's advertised. I have no clue though lol. And we honestly cannot afford to buy her a whole new wardrobe so a seminary that she can pack what she has at home and wear there is ideal.

She's also interested in doing sherut leumi while she's there but I told her we gotta focus on one thing at a time. Throwing to much at me that I have no clue about Laugh

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Apart from the lashon hara, I don't think that Bar Ilan has the type of Torah studies that your DD wants. I did get a chuckle out of the dress code for women: "On campus: shirt required at all times...."

LOL I didn't get a chance to see their dresscode, that's priceless!
Basically the girls are in the Beit HaMidrash but that's in the middle of campus. They live in their anglo bubble and the lectures themselves are largely from an 'academic Torah' perspective (ie secular study of the 'sources') rather than from a Jewish standpoint. She won't get chizuk there. I used to find girls from that program asleep in a room set aside for nursing babies.... and the mini skirts were shocking, even from a secular perspective. No no no...

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:59 am
teachkids wrote:
The girls shalavim is far more modern than the boys.

You're right; I'm thinking of the boys' Shaalvim. But the interesting thing, and the reason I thought that the girls' seminary was similar hashkafa-wise to the boys' yeshiva, is that none of the girls from the MO school here go to Shaalvim. Then again, the girls here are much more likely, if they make aliyah, to go to the army rather than do sheirut leumi. That's probably a different MO than what OP is thinking of.

wifeandmore

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 4:12 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
I have no info to contribute OP, but I'm blown away by what an amazing mother you are. How accepting, how loving, how honest and mostly, how far you would go to raise your child according to her path.

I know it probably comes naturally to you but it doesn't to a whole lot of people and you are commendable.

May Hakadosh Baruch Hu place her in the best school for her, and may she always give you great nachas.

Sorry I can't help. But BRAVO!

Yes!! I was looking for the right words!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics