Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How often do you shower in the 9 day?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:13 pm
I’m trying to skip a night and do every other night but feeling yucky.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:15 pm
I always feel yucky either way. I feel yucky taking lukewarm showers. I don't feel clean. I also feel yucky skipping showers. So it's a no-win situation.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:16 pm
I shower every day. Quick and not so warm. If I have to wash my hair I do it separately. I need my showers for mental and physical health.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:17 pm
I shower every day, a quick shower.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:20 pm
Rabbi Avigdor Miller zt"ll said about showering in the 9 days: If one usually showers every day, he should shower every other day. If one usually showers every other day, he should shower every 3rd day. And if one usually showers every 3rd day, he should SHOWER MORE OFTEN!!!!!

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:21 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Rabbi Avigdor Miller zt"ll said about showering in the 9 days: If one usually showers every day, he should shower every other day. If one usually showers every other day, he should shower every 3rd day. And if one usually showers every 3rd day, he should SHOWER MORE OFTEN!!!!!

Yup! I was gonna post that! Love it!

Just not sure how to apply it to my life because I don’t follow a shower schedule. Usually every other night but sometimes it could be that I showered every day. Occasionally I’m too tired and fall asleep without showering and then 2 days passed... so I’m not sure what to do now.
I just took a shower .. first time since Friday... I feel great/ amazingly clean!!!! But I’m not supposed to feel great so now I feel guilty.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:23 pm
We were told that nowadays in a hot climate it's a lack of derech eretz to be in public without showering. We do non leisurely showers to get clean.

soap suds

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:26 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I always feel yucky either way. I feel yucky taking lukewarm showers. I don't feel clean. I also feel yucky skipping showers. So it's a no-win situation.

Isn't that the whole point? We should feel yucky.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:28 pm
I work out at the gym every day so 1-2 showers a day for me.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:45 pm
soap suds wrote:
Isn't that the whole point? We should feel yucky.

I know, I know, but not to the point where our hygiene is bad. I feel like I'm non-hygienic during the 9 days.

sirel

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:50 pm
Quick lukewarm shower every day.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:50 pm
I shower every other day in a lukewarm shower. Erev Shabbos I do a regular hot shower.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:53 pm
I was raised very strictly. No shower during the 9 days except on erev Shabbos. On other days you can take a sponge bath if necessary.

I don't follow this anymore but I think that we should. The 9 days are supposed to be like the shiva week. I don't think that people put enough restrictions on themselves.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:56 pm
Everyday. Its the summer and its hot and my skin gets irritated if I don't. However, I only put one body part at a time under shower head. And use cold water as much I can tolerate.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 12:34 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I work out at the gym every day so 1-2 showers a day for me.

LOL about the hugs.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 12:35 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I was raised very strictly. No shower during the 9 days except on erev Shabbos. On other days you can take a sponge bath if necessary.

I don't follow this anymore but I think that we should. The 9 days are supposed to be like the shiva week. I don't think that people put enough restrictions on themselves.

No, we shouldn't. Standards of cleanliness and hygiene are very different nowadays than they were when those restrictions were originally enacted. Have you ever been to Israel during the 9 days? It's literally aveilus just to breathe without a nose plug...

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 3:29 am
Cool short shower every day if I’m going to work. If I’ll just be home I’ll skip it unless I start to itch or offend myself.

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:16 am
Regular shower every single day.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 6:48 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
No, we shouldn't. Standards of cleanliness and hygiene are very different nowadays than they were when those restrictions were originally enacted. Have you ever been to Israel during the 9 days? It's literally aveilus just to breathe without a nose plug...

We are supposed to feel the aveilus during the 9 days. I do take quick cold showers as needed, but less often than usual, and using regular soap instead of the nice bodywash that I enjoy the rest of the year.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:00 am
Every day. But I do a hokey-pokey-shower. I dont stand directly under the water. I just wash each body part at a time (you put your right hand in, you take your right hand out.... Music hence, the term "hokey-pokey")
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note