Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
When can a women be a witness?

dovebird

Post Mon, Aug 05 2019, 11:25 pm
In bais din?
Not looking to argue whether or not it’s fair or right that most of the time they can’t.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 12:45 am
Ooph, I just went to Google that and read so many unflattering and frankly disgusting portrayals of women's intellectual capacities. I'm not going to sift through it anymore to find you the sources.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 1:20 am
If the people on both sides agree that a woman can be a witness then it is fine ( at least according to some opinions)

dovebird

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:10 am
tichellady wrote:
If the people on both sides agree that a woman can be a witness then it is fine ( at least according to some opinions)

Thanks, that answers my question!

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:18 am
Also IIRC in instances of rape. But I don’t have a source, just a niggling memory.
Haven’t read through this yet but it looks promising. https://www.jstor.org/stable/1.....3.119
Edited to add: found a source http://jewinthecity.com/2018/0.....urts/

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:26 pm
Women can also give information that is not technically halachic testimony, but would be considered evidence if in a secular court. Many cases brought before Beit Din do not actually require halachic “evidence,” especially business matters, etc. FWIW. Tradition (journal of the rca may have articles on this in English). They have a website with a topic index that at least used to be searchable (haven’t looked in a long time). The Beit din of America may also have some resources. You could also probably call them and ask. They are very knowledgeable and helpful.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 7:41 pm
She can't be a witness if she is a relative or friend. Of course that's the case with men too.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:09 pm
With respect to civil money matters, there are so many exceptions to the rule that women can't be witnesses, that it would almost never come into play practically for a woman's testimony to be disqualified bec she's a woman.

https://jewinthecity.com/2018/.....urts/

Eta. I see ravenclaw also posted the link

singleagain

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:21 pm
Isn't a woman a witness every time she says she's niddah/tahor ? Or when coming. One woman can be a kitchen mashgicha.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:35 am
singleagain wrote:
Isn't a woman a witness every time she says she's niddah/tahor ? Or when coming. One woman can be a kitchen mashgicha.

A woman can be a witness for issur/heter (when only one witness is needed), but she is not a valid witness in Bais Din or any time that two witnesses are required (e.g. to witness a marriage or divorce, etc.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions