Home

Please explain to me the difference

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

allthingsblue

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:20 am
Case A: Muslim man shouts "alla-h akbar" before shooting tens of people. Cause: radical Islam.

Case B: white man posts racist manifesto minutes before murdering people.
Cause: divorce, video games, gun culture, drugs... but not white nationalism?

Isn't this a double standard?

southernbubby

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:25 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Case A: Muslim man shouts "alla-h akbar" before shooting tens of people. Cause: radical Islam.

Yes
White nationalists have their own social media sites and grant sainthood to mass shooters. It is a way for losers to gain acceptance.

shoshanim999

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 9:49 am
allthingsblue wrote:

You raise a good point, but I would argue that usually radical Muslims who commit mass acts of terror are born and bred with an ideology of terrorism. It's godly work to annihilate infidels and to kill non believers. As opposed to a random 25 year old guy who grew up in middle America, went to school, had friends, grew up in a somewhat normal home, wasn't taught about white nationalism.....The question is what triggered this behavior? We have reason to search and try to find something because it's not as obvious as with radical Muslims where we know that they are taught hatred from the time they are children.

roses

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:00 am
The big difference is that with terrorism related to racism and white nationalism, the people on the right will have to look at hard truths about Trump and the political climate, and make some connections there that will make them feel really uncomfortable. Because they will have to acknowledge that the man they put on a pedestal and continue to make excuses for and cover up for--and all his cronies--- maybe, just maybe, isn't doing such a great job after all. And maybe, just maybe, there is some fault there. So it's hard to realize that your idol is just a fat, stupid, ugly, evil, demagogue who is fanning flames of hatred and encouraging violence. So it's a lot easier to pivot and find all kinds of other excuses, so people on the right can feel better instead of having to say, "OMG. We have created a monster"

Whereas it's very easy to hate on Arabs and Islamic terrorism. So it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable to put the blame exactly where it belongs

Mayflower

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:03 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
You raise a good point, but I would argue that usually radical Muslims who commit mass acts of terror are born and bred with an ideology of terrorism. It's godly work to annihilate infidels and to kill non believers. As opposed to a random 25 year old guy who grew up in middle America, went to school, had friends, grew up in a somewhat normal home, wasn't taught about white nationalism.....The question is what triggered this behavior? We have reason to search and try to find something because it's not as obvious as with radical Muslims where we know that they are taught hatred from the time they are children.

A LOT of the radical Muslims who commit acts of terror are actually converts or people from very normal middle-of-the-road moderate families who radicalized suddenly and quickly.

sushilover

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:06 am
Who says it's not white supremecy??
Show me one normal person who is arguing that.

I see people saying that there were many other factors that contributed to this atrocity, as well as white supremecy.
I don't see anyone saying that it has nothing to do with racism.

leah233

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:17 am
White nationalists are not a clearly defined group with clearly defined goals that include acts of mass murder.

A Muslim man shouting "alla-h akbar" before shooting tens of people is very clearly giving his motive and the ideology that led him to such behavior.

A white man who posts racist manifesto minutes before murdering people may be showing his personal motive but the general ideology that led him to such behavior is less clear.

If a neo Nazi yelled "Heil Hitler" before murdering people the reaction would not be so different from a Muslim shouting "alla-h akbar.

Fox

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:39 am
I don't think that's the case. I think it simply appears that way in the U.S. because we have a very small Muslim population.

In Europe, there are many attacks that mimic the mass shootings of the U.S. -- the perpetrator claims to be acting on an ideology, but when it's investigated, the ideology is a dog's breakfast of ideas; the perpetrator has had limited contact with any organized groups; and the ideology is a recent interest on top of a number of obvious dysfunctions.

allthingsblue

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:50 am
Fox wrote:
I don't think that's the case. I think it simply appears that way in the U.S. because we have a very small Muslim population.

In Europe, there are many attacks that mimic the mass shootings of the U.S. -- the perpetrator claims to be acting on an ideology, but when it's investigated, the ideology is a dog's breakfast of ideas; the perpetrator has had limited contact with any organized groups; and the ideology is a recent interest on top of a number of obvious dysfunctions.

Then why condemn radical Islam after such attacks, but not white supremacy?

sushilover

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:05 am
roses wrote:
The big difference is that with terrorism related to racism and white nationalism, the people on the right will have to look at hard truths about Trump and the political climate, and make some connections there that will make them feel really uncomfortable. Because they will have to acknowledge that the man they put on a pedestal and continue to make excuses for and cover up for--and all his cronies--- maybe, just maybe, isn't doing such a great job after all. And maybe, just maybe, there is some fault there. So it's hard to realize that your idol is just a fat, stupid, ugly, evil, demagogue who is fanning flames of hatred and encouraging violence. So it's a lot easier to pivot and find all kinds of other excuses, so people on the right can feel better instead of having to say, "OMG. We have created a monster"

Whereas it's very easy to hate on Arabs and Islamic terrorism. So it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable to put the blame exactly where it belongs

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, shall we?
Was Obama at fault fanning flames of hatred and encouraging violence when over 60 people were killed in San Bernadino and Orlando by muslims?
Was Obama at fault when five cops were slaughtered after he spoke disparagingly about law enforcement?

My opinion, no he isn't. But there's certainly more reason to believe that he was than there is proof to believe that Trump is responsible now. Particularly regarding the cop killings.

Fox

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:18 am
allthingsblue wrote:
Then why condemn radical Islam after such attacks, but not white supremacy?

Huh? I don't think such attacks in Europe are typically associated with Islamist ideology. Complaints are often heard about immigration and the ability/willingness of Muslim immigrants to adapt to the mores of Western European countries, but I don't think such attacks typically result in a focus on Islamist terror.

ora_43

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:30 am
Mayflower wrote:
A LOT of the radical Muslims who commit acts of terror are actually converts or people from very normal middle-of-the-road moderate families who radicalized suddenly and quickly.

In America and Europe.

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:45 pm
roses wrote:

Ah, the irony of using the terms, “just a fat, stupid, ugly, evil, demagogue“ to describe the president, and in the same breath same HE is fanning flames of hatred!! What’s wrong with this picture? Can't Believe It

Cheiny

Post  Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:47 pm
sushilover wrote:
Let's put the shoe on the other foot, shall we?
Was Obama at fault fanning flames of hatred and encouraging violence when over 60 people were killed in San Bernadino and Orlando by muslims?
Was Obama at fault when five cops were slaughtered after he spoke disparagingly about law enforcement?

My opinion, no he isn't. But there's certainly more reason to believe that he was than there is proof to believe that Trump is responsible now. Particularly regarding the cop killings.

You’re right, but Get ready to be labeled a racist!

#BestBubby

Post  Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:49 am
roses wrote:

1. What exactly did Trump say that encourages White Nationalism?

2. When a Bernie Sanders supporter shot and tried to murder Republican Congressmen on a baseball field, did you accuse Bernie Sanders of encouraging violence against Republicans?

3. The Dayton, Ohio Shooter was a supporter of Elizabeth Warren. Why are you not blaming Elizabeth Warren for inciting the Dayton, Ohio shooter to commit murder?

4. The El Paso Shooter said one of his motives was "environmentalism" quote:
“The environment is getting worse by the year,” the manifesto reads. “Most of y’all are just too stubborn to change your lifestyle. So the next logical step is to decrease the number of people in America using resources. If we can get rid of enough people, then our way of life can become more sustainable.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry.....zkZR7I4TSC

Why aren't you blaming the Democrats for scaring people that the environment is being destroyed for inciting the El Paso Shooter to commit murder?
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h