Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Im not looking forward to the film Unorthodox w Shira Haas
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Mevater

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 10:54 pm

The picture says it all.

These women (besides the heroine of course) will not be presented in a positive light.

Its making me vomit.

icebreaker

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:16 am
Do all Chassidish women wear pearl necklaces? Like why does every women in the picture have a pearl necklace lol. The costumes are terrible.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:18 am
icebreaker wrote:
Do all Chassidish women wear pearl necklaces? Like why does every women in the picture have a pearl necklace lol. The costumes are terrible.

May you live a long life.

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:22 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:

Please explain.

icebreaker

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:24 am

I...I don’t know how to take this.

momsrus

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:31 am
icebreaker wrote:

It used to be a thing to have one. Many kallahs got it in the yichud room.

I don’t see many women wearing a pearl necklace these days.

But the crowd is the above picture doesn’t look like your regular chasidishe crowd.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:32 am
Mevater wrote:
Please explain.

It's just a very real phrase that we Orthodox Jewish women say to each other, just like how Chassidic women always wear pearl necklaces.

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:42 am
It's just a very real phrase that we Orthodox Jewish women say to each other, just like how Chassidic women always wear pearl necklaces.

Im still confused. Pearl necklaces Im aware of. Have a good life, I dont hear from Chassidish people. Zei Gezint or Kol Tuv maybe.

Whats your Yiddish translation?

Mevater

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:50 am

Di zulst leben a lang leben? Never heard of it!

Maybe Chassidish women living on the moon say it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:54 am
Look up the movie Disobedience.
That's where it's from.
It's a joke to say how inaccurate the movie is likely to be.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:03 am
Omg. They really went to the extreme with these costumes. I haven’t seen this many collars adorned with pearl strands in a while around here. And Deborah (aka Suri) def did not mingle with this kind of crowd. Ever.

(most Kallahs do get pearl necklaces as it’s cheaper than a diamond one. I happen to truly like a pearl strand, when worn right of course.)

Metukah

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:56 am
I think what amother copper is trying to say is, just like we all wear pearl necklaces we all say 'May you live a long life'.

Many movies portraying orthodox Jews, show us as using that expression every time we depart from people. I have never ever heard that irl.

I also rarely see women wearing pearl necklaces.

Both evident inaccuracies.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:06 am
There are many films I'm not looking forward to (some that I didn't even hear about yet) and as a result I probably won't go see them. Also if a picture was "making me vomit" I would try to not share it with others.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 6:30 am
Ugggh. So irritating when frum people are portrayed inaccurately. Why is this movie being made in Berlin, by presumably a non Jewish person? Shtisel was accurate, and most israeli movies about frum people are accurate. Disobedience was just weird in some of its details.

DrMom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:31 am
Mevater wrote:

The picture says it all.

These women (besides the heroine of course) will not be presented in a positive light.

Its making me vomit.

My initial reaction: The heroine seems to have a very large head in proportion to her body.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:59 am
DrMom wrote:
My initial reaction: The heroine seems to have a very large head in proportion to her body.

She is very short. Hence she portrayed a teenager in shtisel.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:24 am
Ugh it ruins the whole movie for me when the producers fail to catch the nuances of a culture. It’s so much worse when they make very obvious mistakes. Don’t they have consultants from within the community who can tell them?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:29 am
I doubt they are going for much accuracy on this one Sad

walkingalong

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:33 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Ugggh. So irritating when frum people are portrayed inaccurately. Why is this movie being made in Berlin, by presumably a non Jewish person? Shtisel was accurate, and most israeli movies about frum people are accurate. Disobedience was just weird in some of its details.

With Shtisel I can at least tell people asking invasive questions about accuracy that it is a lot like Mad Men being a compelling drama about a dysfunctional family, but with Unorthodox it will be one of the most melodramatic OTD narratives currently on the market so I am very much not looking forward to it. This film will end up being referenced in political attacks on chassidishe belief, community, and education, especially in NYS.

Also... Those costumes... I've seen a lot of snaps from the sets, from people passing by in Brooklyn and there was one particularly bad shot where the shtreiml on one man looked Purimdik at best.

We are already the most visible stereotypes of Jewishness out there and inaccurate sensationalist things just make interacting with concerned outsiders all the more difficult. I am especially concerned for the safety of men in my life, who are often portrayed as abusive monsters in films featuring "hasidim". As a woman, outsiders might say I am a mindless victim of a primitive patriarchy, but the men can be viewed with a lot of malice and it's a lot more socially acceptable to rough up a man.

sequoia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 8:38 am
You can ignore movies you don’t like.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics