Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Im not looking forward to the film Unorthodox w Shira Haas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:51 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Are you saying satmar girls can’t get into college or are you saying college is a bad place to be.

Firstly there are many satmar girls that go to college, there are ways to do it that’s not so complicating

Collage is not the norm in any chasidishe community. So no, it makes no difference where mrs frier went to school.

I’m going to say it loud and clear. The fact that Deborah Feldman went otd has nothing to do with not having a college education.

OMG. Please read what I wrote as I refuse to repeat myself. And I am beginning to think that Deborah Feldman is right and the reaction from some people about her book was only because they could not deal with reality. This is how it sounds like just from some of the responses to my comment about a successful Satmar girl writing a book or making a movie with a positive spin to it. Just wow.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:52 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
OMG. Please read what I wrote as I refuse to repeat myself. And I am beginning to think that Deborah Feldman is right and the reaction from some people about her book was only because they could not deal with reality. This is how it sounds like just from some of the responses to my comment about writing a book or making a movie with a positive spin to it. Just wow.

I agree. I’m starting to think ms Feldman had a real influence on you.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:54 pm
I agree. I’m starting to think ms Feldman had a real influence on you.

The negative responses to my comment is def making it look as though Feldman is right about what she wrote.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
OMG. Please read what I wrote as I refuse to repeat myself. And I am beginning to think that Deborah Feldman is right and the reaction from some people about her book was only because they could not deal with reality. This is how it sounds like just from some of the responses to my comment about a successful Satmar girl writing a book or making a movie with a positive spin to it. Just wow.

Ok this is going to be my last post because this conversation is giving me a headache. Talking about deliberately misreading posts... I never once said anything negative about Devorah Feldman. Look back if you don’t believe me. And I quite clearly said I would love to write a book about it. Your only response to that was that you have already read about different cultures and would want a very specific book about a Satmar girl only. Well tough. It’s my book and I think weaving a memoir of multiple cultural experiences about integrating religious beliefs and secular culture is more interesting.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:14 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
Ok this is going to be my last post because this conversation is giving me a headache. Talking about deliberately misreading posts... I never once said anything negative about Devorah Feldman. Look back if you don’t believe me. And I quite clearly said I would love to write a book about it. Your only response to that was that you have already read about different cultures and would want a very specific book about a Satmar girl only. Well tough. It’s my book and I think weaving a memoir of multiple cultural experiences about integrating religious beliefs and secular culture is more interesting.

Feel free to write whatever you want but as I said I watched Arranged which looks at Orthodox Jewish and Muslim practices. And I am still interested in my original idea that I proposed and look forward to someone actually doing that as I think it will be very successful.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:15 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
The negative responses to my comment is def making it look as though Feldman is right about what she wrote.

What was it that she was right about?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:17 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Feel free to write whatever you want but as I said I watched Arranged which looks at Orthodox Jewish and Muslim practices. And I am still interested in my original idea that I proposed and look forward to someone actually doing that as I think it will be very successful.

The Arranged Orthodox couple wasn't typical (nor were they arranged).

Mevater

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:18 pm
What was it that she was right about?

She was definitely totally right that selling her book to Simon & Schuster would make her a wealthy woman, even if it meant utilizing poetic license to embellish some "facts".

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:26 pm
I'm a Satmar woman completing a degree now and believe me, that is the least interesting part of my life. If I ever do write a book, I highly doubt this will be a climactic point. My road to higher education is just not good biopic material.

The GED was easier to pass than the courses we took in Satmar high school. Just because we don't graduate with a diploma doesn't mean the education isn't provided for those who choose to apply themselves.

It's true that getting a degree used to be a very big taboo but that's no longer the case.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:45 pm
I have news for you, BLACK, and for Devora F. : Satmer Girls are very educated in the UNIVERSITY OF LIFE. Most have loving wonderful families. The boys and girls are very smart and street saavy. Most are wonderful mothers, many with careers, and businesses. WE don't need your approval. We are bh a successful group and we don't need to prove it to the world. I, for one, am a proud Satmer Graduate, with a very successful business BH. There are thousand of College Graduates that sell burgers at McDonalds. Is there a movie about that???

ectomorph

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:47 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:

Maybe black is Feldman. We certainly have enough otd people around here (I for one welcome y'all -any Jewish connection is good!)

Mevater

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:13 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I have news for you, BLACK, and for Devora F. : Satmer Girls are very educated in the UNIVERSITY OF LIFE. Most have loving wonderful families. The boys and girls are very smart and street saavy. Most are wonderful mothers, many with careers, and businesses. WE don't need your approval. We are bh a successful group and we don't need to prove it to the world. I, for one, am a proud Satmer Graduate, with a very successful business BH. There are thousand of College Graduates that sell burgers at McDonalds. Is there a movie about that???

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS POST.
Thanks.

My guess is there are way way more than 1,000 college grads flipping burgers and doing odd jobs.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:21 pm

Me Doth Thinketh Thou Protestesth too much

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:25 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
So you are saying that Satmar girls who decide to get their GED's and go to college dont have struggles and conflict? They dont have feelings about being the first in their families to go to college and having to figure out how it works? They know about gpa's, majors, financial aid, etc? What happens if they want to get married, do they tell the boy that they are in college or have a degree? Do they say this at the beshow? What happens at the beshow if they tell the boy they are in college or have a degree? Do they get jobs in the Satmar school or did the administrators follow through on their threats and refuse to hire them? Then there is the learning about s-x, shaving the head, going to mikvah, having a baby, etc.
There is so much you write about or show in a movie. Even to the point of having a reality tv show and following some Satmar girls around to see what their lives are like. Its not being condescending, its showing the world what goes on in an insular community surrounded by mystery and vilified by otd people. Not sure why you would not do it if you have the opportunity to show the world that otd people are not functional because of their own issues instead of what is really going on in the community. And yes, people are interested in knowing more about this particular community so why not make a Kiddush Hashem and show them what the truth really is instead of sitting around and complaining about how otd people portray the community?

Are you serious? You think this is standard?

You need a reality check, lady!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:26 pm

I thought most Satmar women don’t work.

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:28 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
I thought most Satmar women don’t work.

Are you serious?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:29 pm
momsrus wrote:
Are you serious?

Yes. Is that not true?

momsrus

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:30 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Yes. Is that not true?

No, it is not

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:48 pm
I know very few Satmar ppl personally, so I'll gracefully apologize if a proud Satmar women tells me otherwise, but my feeling is that saying Satmar girls/women do this or Satmar girls/women do that is almost like saying frum ppl do this that or the other. Satmar is probably the largest and possibly the most diverse chassidus. You're going to find a gazillion different stripes there. Some work; some don't. Some have degrees; some don't. Some are rich; some are poor. Some are skinny; some are fat (just to prove my point). Some are employees; some are employers. Some are SAHM; some are WAHM and some work out of the house. Some are On TD; some are unfortunately off; and some aren't sure yet where they stand. We can go on and on and on. Point is, the generalizations here are a bit ridiculous.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 12:16 am
amother [ Wheat ] wrote:
I know very few Satmar ppl personally, so I'll gracefully apologize if a proud Satmar women tells me otherwise, but my feeling is that saying Satmar girls/women do this or Satmar girls/women do that is almost like saying frum ppl do this that or the other. Satmar is probably the largest and possibly the most diverse chassidus. You're going to find a gazillion different stripes there. Some work; some don't. Some have degrees; some don't. Some are rich; some are poor. Some are skinny; some are fat (just to prove my point). Some are employees; some are employers. Some are SAHM; some are WAHM and some work out of the house. Some are On TD; some are unfortunately off; and some aren't sure yet where they stand. We can go on and on and on. Point is, the generalizations here are a bit ridiculous.

Satmar graduate here and your post is spot on.
And black amother, I have to go with ravenclaw on this one. Your posts reek from negativity. Whether it’s intentional or not, I dont know but that’s how I perceive it.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics