Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
I lost Whatsapp contacts bec. someone sent my phone a code

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 06 2019, 11:26 pm
I lost Whatsapp contacts and chats because a "genius" friend sent my phone a Whatsapp code, then asked me for the code and I gave it to them. They might have done it by mistake bec theyre not technically inclined, haha, but because of this I lost all my contacts and chats.

(I posted this in the wrong Subject because on the computers subject you can't be anon).

I just got an email from Whatsapp support saying if I didnt save my contacts to my Iphone, which I probably didnt, theyre lost for good.

I cant even try to get Whatsapp back (without contacts and chats) to start from scratch, for 7 hours.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

What might have been this "genius" friend's reason for doing this?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 12:12 am
bump

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:15 am
This is stealing.
When setting up WhatsApp there needs to be a working phone with active service for WhatsApp to send a code to to activate the service. If someone has no working phone then this is a clever way to get phone service thru WhatsApp for free by scamming you and having you activate their WhatsApp for them.
I am not sure but it could be that you can't even use WhatsApp on more than one device at a time in which case you will have to report this to WhatsApp as fraud so they can deactivate the account from the scammer's device and activate it again on your device.
Sorry you lost your contacts and chats.
My contacts on my phone or always saved to my gmail account so I can always retrieve them if my phone breaks or gets lost.
WhatsApp also sometimes prompts me asking if I want to back up my messages. I always say "no" but if you ever backed anything up there might be a way to retrieve it.

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:50 am
Why can't you send yourself a new code and have it back on your phone?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 1:54 pm
Friend was hacked. It looked like a legitimate Whatsapp message.

I kept on getting error messages telling me I have to wait hours until I try again because there were too many attempts made to get a new code, but I got it all back.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:13 pm
Has anyone ever heard of a Whatsapp account getting hacked?

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:39 pm
I don't understand. You got a code and your friend asked you to send her the code? One time or more than one time? Why did you send it to her?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:41 pm
creditcards wrote:
I don't understand. You got a code and your friend asked you to send her the code? One time or more than one time? Why did you send it to her?

Once, and I had no idea that giving someone a code eliminates my whatsapp acct.

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Once, and I had no idea that giving someone a code eliminates my whatsapp acct.

What did she say? Why did she need your code?

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, its a hack. Happened to a friend on a whatsapp group I am on. The person then kicked everyone out of the group (I think after posting rude messages) Probably not your friends fault.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:45 pm
Your friends are now probably getting similar messages from you asking for codes.

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:50 pm
Now I'm wondering if she was able to download all your messages on her phone? And read all your private messages?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 7:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, my cousin - she needed to get a new phone number.
Hope that doesn’t happen to you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries