Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Streching gefilte fish
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:31 pm
All of a sudden I noticed that fish rolls cost crazy money! Any ideas on what to add to stretch a fish roll? (Without it falling apart.) I think Ungar's is the cheapest, and it's $6.79.

I coudl buy fresh fish but the pieces I can afford to give are so small, I get conplaints,so I think I'm better off playing around with a fish roll.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 2:51 pm
where do u shop? I pay 5.99 or less for a & b and thats more expensive than ungars, and I live out of town where things are generally more $$$ than in ny.

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:06 pm
shanie5 wrote:
where do u shop? I pay 5.99 or less for a & b and thats more expensive than ungars, and I live out of town where things are generally more $$$ than in ny.
I buy it wholesale, and I think I pay more than that. Here where I live, it costs 9.99.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:25 pm
If you have freezer space, you ca buy a case from benz's or raskin. last time I did that it was about $3.50 a roll, for pesachdik fish, but thta was a year ago.

Otherwise, I think you add grate carros, onions, matza meal, eggs. You can fry them in patties - I think the spice and s. has a recipe.

poelmamosh

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:40 pm
I go into Benz's and get 3 BatYam for $13 (yeah, I know, it used to be 3 for 11, then 3 for 12...) It's still less than you're paying.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:52 pm
Ungers fish went up drastically in price in the last few weeks. I noticed it in a couple of stores. Went from about $5 a roll to appr. $7 a roll. I wonder why? What
Do you want to buy a frozen roll, defrost it, add more ingredients and then cook it? Never thought of that idea. If you're already doing that, wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to buy raw ground fish by the pound and add all the ingredient yourself?

pinktichel

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:12 pm
I gave you a great fish recipe. It can easily make more than 20 patties out of a loaf.

You said you didn't want to add all that "chazerai" (vegies) to the fish.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:12 pm
How many Benz's do you get in a case? Maybe I should do that.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:31 pm
I think it was 30 in a case, but maybe it's less. Ask your LFS. LOL (local fish store)

fish in general seems to be a lot more expensive. Fishing quotas must have gone down. (Each country is only allowed to catch a certain amount of fish, so that fish stocks don't get depleted; if you fish all the carp and leave none to breed you won't have any carp next year.)

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:36 pm
Quote:
Do you want to buy a frozen roll, defrost it, add more ingredients and then cook it?

I always, well almost always do that Smile
I do my sweet and sour recipe that way.

Also we buy by the case and then yes it does come out abit cheaper.

lamplighter

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 6:50 pm
is is cheaper to make ur own? personally Ive never eaten homemade gefilte fish that was good but CM I'm sure ur up to the challenge

momluv

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 6:54 pm
my inlaws make my gefilte fish rolls and they are delicious! I never liked any until I tasted theirs but it's high quality and expensive, though I pay nil.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 7:09 pm
pinktichel wrote:
I gave you a great fish recipe. It can easily make more than 20 patties out of a loaf. You said you didn't want to add all that "chazerai" (vegies) to the fish.

Yeah, I really made myself an ayin horah, didn't I ....dry humor intended ....

DD is on Accutane and she has naturally high cholesterol anyway, so she needs to lower it any way she can. She's supposed to eat fish a few times a week so that's one reaosn I didn't want to stretch the gef fish, she'd be getting more veggies and filler rather than fish........

But then the fish prices skyrocketed and I see she isn't a big fish eater anyway ......

Mommish

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:50 pm
Cut on a diagonal. That way you don't waste the ends.

ruthanne

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 11:17 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
All of a sudden I noticed that fish rolls cost crazy money! Any ideas on what to add to stretch a fish roll? (Without it falling apart.) I think Ungar's is the cheapest, and it's $6.79.

I coudl buy fresh fish but the pieces I can afford to give are so small, I get conplaints,so I think I'm better off playing around with a fish roll.

I buy Raskins and its $4.99 a roll! It used to be $3.99 a few years ago!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:07 am
I also used to get 3 for $10 years back.....seriously, are the fish stores cheaper - Raskins, Benzy's, Shabbos ?

ruthanne

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 10:48 am
chocolate moose wrote:
I also used to get 3 for $10 years back.....seriously, are the fish stores cheaper - Raskins, Benzy's, Shabbos ?

It seems like it, b/c I certainly don't pay more than $4.99 for Raskins gefilte fish.

SingALong

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 9:55 pm
I also noticed the price increase so at the store I always check out what's cheapest or on sale and then ill get that.
I saw a company that's labeled Hungarian or Homestyle gefilte fish that is 4 something...just as good as others so now I get that

GAMZu

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 11:35 pm
Dagim is about $4 or $5.
If you have a supermarket nearby that makes their own products, those are usually cheaper.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 11:36 pm
YEAH, OURS used to, but with the price increase, stopped.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics