Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Cooking an elegant meat dinner

greeneyes

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 3:56 pm
Our anniversary is coming up this week, and I'd really like to surprise my husband with an extra nice dinner that night, preferably some kind of meat. For some reason, I seem to have this fear of cooking meat though... I guess it's the expense factor along with a fear of messing it up since I don't have much experience with it.

Can anyone guide me as to what kind of meat to buy and exactly how to cook it? embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed Perhaps with some kind of sweet sauce? You'd make my day... Smile

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:05 pm
Nervous ... sorry but with all the "elephant" talk I thought you were cooking for an elephant ... What

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 4:08 pm
you could go for a nice juicy ribsteak ... easy and yum (if he likes steak) ... put in the broiler with soy sauce garlic powder, black pepper, some cut up onions ... and broil for about 12 min on each side and eat right away ...

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 5:05 pm
What I do with rib steak is I spice it on one side, brown it in a drop of oil on that side, then spice the second side, and brown it on the second side. What I spice it with is, the company gefen makes a spice called meat tenderizer, and that is what I use. When the meat is browned on both sides, I put it in a disposable pan, add bar b q sauce to cover the meat, cover the pan, and bake for about 45 minutes. Yummy and soft. And sweetish, like you asked for.

Boys Mom

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 5:50 pm
Rib steak is a good idea. You can also buy a package of minute steaks. Spice meat with reg. spices - then saute an onion, brown the meat on both sides. Add a bit of water and cook for a good hour and then add potatoes, carrots, zucchinni etc.. some paprika and salt and cook another 45 min. It's delicious.

blueyes

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 6:03 pm
I always buy fillet or club steaks. They're really good and dont take to long to cook. I just put them in a pan, pour bbq sauce over the steaks, put it in the oven on broil and keep flipping them over until its done and it comes out great!!!!

Boys Mom

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 6:13 pm
I just remembered this and it's also delicious.

If your butcher has sandwich steaks (they're thin slices of meat)- brown them with onions and bbc sauce and put them in club bread. smear russian dressing on a side - lettuce, tomato, sauted onions and steaks. (This is how restaraunts make it.) It's also very good.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 7:23 pm
We make chicken thighs for Friday night, so a 1/4 pc chicken is "elegant" for us. So is shnitzel.

Why not check out your butcher and see what they have in your price range? They also give good cooking advice.

boruchhashem

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 8:32 pm
Boys Mom wrote:
Rib steak is a good idea. You can also buy a package of minute steaks. Spice meat with reg. spices - then saute an onion, brown the meat on both sides. Add a bit of water and cook for a good hour and then add potatoes, carrots, zucchinni etc.. some paprika and salt and cook another 45 min. It's delicious.

another version of minute steak. saute onion, and garlic. add minute steak and brown on both sides. when browned, add 1 cup wine, and 1 cup soy sauce, salt and pepper, and let cook till soft.

greeneyes

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 9:50 pm
Wow, thanks for your help everyone. Rib steak sounds perfect, but is there possibly another sauce I can use besides barbecue sauce?

Boys Mom

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 9:57 pm
With rib steak you can just spice it well on each side and broil it. Even with just a bit of salt its delicious.[/quote]

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 10:00 pm
I never use salt; koshermeat doesn't need it

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 31 2007, 2:17 pm
I use steak seasoning (found together with all the other spices) on my steaks. I like to sprinkle it on both sides and even let it sit for about an hour in the seasoning before popping it in the oven.

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:01 am
Thanks everyone for your help. The anniversary dinner turned out amazing, and DH was really surprised.

Here's how I ended up doing the meat. I bought rib steak, flavored with some onion powder, garlic powder, & black pepper, & then poured sweet and sour sauce over it. I baked it & it came out incredible! Yay, I've conquered my fear of preparing a steak dinner!! Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:31 am
gorgeous! glad you enjoyed!

greeneyes

Post Wed, Jan 02 2008, 10:53 am
Very Happy Very Happy Thanks chocolate moose!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics