Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Dov Haller
1  2  3  Next

STR331

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:01 pm
[size=12]hi I am a big fan of dog hallers books.. I read rapport 55 and a promising past, im going to order sundays @10 but than after that theres no more novels, does anyone know of any novels that are similar to dov hallers writings? need suggestions b/c I never really liked to read and need something very intresting [/size]

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:10 pm
You might like
- Yael Mermelstein - Second Chances
- E. G. Schwartz - Shortchanged

You know, I'm blanking out. I'm sure there are a few more I can think of, just not at this moment.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:19 pm
STR331 wrote:
[size=12]hi I am a big fan of dog hallers books.. I read rapport 55 and a promising past, im going to order sundays @10 but than after that theres no more novels, does anyone know of any novels that are similar to dov hallers writings? need suggestions b/c I never really liked to read and need something very intresting [/size]

There are a couple of more titles:
https://www.artscroll.com/Item.....=AtoZ
And, I don't think there are too many more authors like him.

EG Shcwartz (as Pink Fridge suggested) is great, but totally different style. If you don't like to read you might not like her style.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 5:21 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
There are a couple of more titles:
https://www.artscroll.com/Item.....=AtoZ
And, I don't think there are too many more authors like him.

EG Shcwartz (as Pink Fridge suggested) is great, but totally different style. If you don't like to read you might not like her style.

The closest I could get to "If you like x then you might like y."

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 9:54 pm
Captive Audience is short stories but oh so good.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2019, 10:47 pm
You may like Windows to Destiny or Windows to Loyalty by Shia Moseson.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 2:09 am
Every time I read something by Dov Haller I'm impressed by his writing all over again...there was a "Calligraphy" short story a while ago about a Rav enforcing takanos that was soooo well thought-out!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 9:58 pm
I may be wrong, but it likely is included in the Captive Audience collection, because I remember re-reading it. But then again, I may have found the Calligraphy lying around and re-read it there Smile

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:18 pm
I believe Dov Haller is pseudonym for Yisroel Besser...

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:47 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Really?!?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 10:59 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Really?!?

Yup. Verified by a fellow writer (that's me LOL )

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:09 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Yup. Verified by a fellow writer (that's me LOL )

Off topic, and I hope it's ok if I ask in a public forum, but can you verify if Rachel Berger is Dina Neuman? (And is it you? Wink )I've been suspecting that for a while.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:11 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Off topic, and I hope it's ok if I ask in a public forum, but can you verify if Rachel Berger is Dina Neuman? (And is it you? Wink )I've been suspecting that for a while.

That's not me, but she's on here Wink And I have no idea, sorry!

cnc

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:11 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Who’s Rachel Berger?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:56 pm
cnc wrote:
Who’s Rachel Berger?

She's a short story and serial writer in the Aim. She also wrote this:
All Fall Down https://smile.amazon.com/dp/16.....YHRQ.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 11:36 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:

Yes she is. Do you realize how many articles she puts out a week? in aim too...

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Yes she is. Do you realize how many articles she puts out a week? in aim too...

It's actually crazy, she puts out so much on a weekly basis, I don't know how she gets it all done!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:05 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Yes, it is. I was in Montreal once for a wedding and shmoozing with Besser's neighbor when she mentioned something about him being Dov Haller. I was so shocked and she was so surprised that I didn't know. She said she thought it's common knowledge. I guess it's common knowledge in his neighborhood...

I guess he didn't want to use the same name for his biographies and other serious works, and his novels. Sort of like how Rabbi Moshe Grylak uses the name Chaim Eliav for his novels. And while Yair Weinstock uses his own name for all his books in English, in Hebrew his novels are under M. Arbel.

But I don't get why Dina Neuman would use a pseudonym. So that people shouldn't see how much of the Ami she writes? (Dina are you on here?)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 3:21 pm
Peach, I'm not going to quote your post. I assume all your insider info is public knowledge? Apparently the Dov Haller thing is, and Rabbi Grylak himself has mentioned that. But what about the other authors?

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 3:26 pm
Dina Neuman is on this site occasionally. She has posted under her username about her book, Walled Secrets.

I've heard that she has multiple pseudonyms in the Ami. I hope they pay her really well because she is the only good thing about their magazine!

(Another fact: Yaffa Palti is Dina Neuman's sister!)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room