Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Has anyone made Aliyah without doing a pilot trip?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:49 pm
Is it necessary to make one? Are pilot trips the difference between those who successfully make it in Israel and those who return home?

We’d love to make the big move, but we don’t have pilot trip money and no family around to watch our children if just dh and I were to go alone (which I don’t think would be fair to our children). So how do people do it? Are there agencies that help with money for pilot trips? Or do people just save?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:53 pm
Don't make Aliyah without a pilot trip. You must visit the place you plan on living and check out the schools in person. I would say it's not crucial if you were doing this as a single or a couple. But when kids are in the picture, it's not fair to bring them into a very non ideal situation. We did tons of research before our pilot trip and were still not prepared for the realities we encountered on the trip itself.

Sometimes only one parent goes, which may be a good compromise for you.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 3:58 pm
What fuscia said.

I made Aliyah without a pilot trip, but I was single, and extremely mobile. I don't think I would move anywhere with children without checking it out in person first.

Another factor: you need to be financially secure, with enough savings to live 6-12 months, before you make Aliyah. Not maybe; must. You'll need time to acclimate, need time to get a job, and you don't want financial stress hanging like a guillotine over you while you're dealing with culture shock.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 4:41 pm
I agree absolutely with amother fuchsia and Rappel.
Even though I made Aliyah as a single, I still came on a pilot trip half a year in advance to see where I was going (it was a mercaz klita). It was important - because it was different from what I expected and it gave me time to adjust my expectations and not drop into culture shock. I also used my pilot trip to get my papers translated into Hebrew and I did some job interviews which led nowhere but they gave me a feeling for the Israeli job market.

With children, I think that finding a fitting community is very important. You have to see it in person and talk to lots of people who are on the spot to get the feel. See the neighborhood, the potential future neighbors, the schools, the shuls, the shops, the jobs. No website or description can replace that. I think landing in the wrong place and/or coming with misguided expectations is what can make Aliyah fail, asides from financial stress and problems with finding employment.

If you can't go all, really let at least one of you do it. It is maybe expensive, but a failed Aliyah, c"v, is even more expensive, lots more.

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 08 2019, 11:17 pm
Exactly what everyone else said. You must have savings when you make Aliyah. A lot of things come up and the money flows the first year.
I have friends who brought their kids on their pilot trip and they have had a super successful Aliyah BH. The kids were able to see the schools and meet other kids and get very excited about their Aliyah.
I also know other families where only one parent came on the pilot trip and BH they are also all doing great. But if you have school age children a pilot trip is pretty essential. You can't just land here with no place to live and no schools for your kids.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 2:15 am
UNless you are single and NO dependents, ie a family, you really should make a pilot trip. It doesnt have to be both you and your husband if thats not doable. I know families where only one parent comes to check out communities, schools, job prospects.
But you really should see about things before you come.
I came single and didnt do a pilot trip. But I had a place to live and a little bit of savings to hold me over for a few moths to figure it all out.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 2:50 am
Everyone basically said what I wanted to say already. Tbh I've been living here for quite a few years and no way would I put my kid in a school or even kindergarten without checking it out thoroughly in advance.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 2:54 am
I did but I was single and I was in Israel for a few months before I made aliyah.

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 3:13 am
A pilot trip is important but it's not the be-all and end-all.
Lots of people decide on one place and after a year realize they made a mistake.
A pilot trip doesn't give you a chance to sense the nuances of the place, or to realize how you would fit in.
Even on this board, I saw a few posts over the past few months of people who made aliyah to one place, and then realized it's not for them, and are looking for recommendations for where to move. I'm guessing most of them did the pilot trip.

The best info, IMO, is gleaned from close friends and family who already live here.
In any case, I strongly suggest moving somewhere with a large selection of schools, so you at least have options.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 3:27 am
A pilot trip is a good idea for many reasons, as posters have said. To me, it would be just as important to arrive with a financial cushion. If the price of a trip is out of reach, then definitely save up a bit more before coming. It's true that school and health insurance are free to low cost, and you will get some sal klita money, but the move itself is expensive. For example, most Israeli rentals don't include appliances, like a fridge and washing machine. It can cost a few thousand dollars to equip a kitchen and buy all the appliances that you'll need to replace.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Aug 09 2019, 4:39 am
Plan the. Pilot trip for an off season when tickets are cheaper and everyone is busy with their normal daily stuff. It’s also great since everyone you want to talk to will be there and everything will be open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions