Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
22 month old waking up during night screaming...looks scared

caza

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 7:26 pm
My 22 month old was always ok at night, used go wake up once but get a bottle and go right back to sleep. He was always very happy in his cot so even if I put him in and he didn't fall asleep he would just talk to himself even for 1 hour. For the last week he is screaming in his cot, he wakes up multiple times a night and his face looks extremely frightened, he begs to go out of his cot. This is also happening during his day nap.
I really don't know what to do, any ideas how I could help him or how I can sort it out?

Adding: he seems to be on very high alert e.g we brought his cot into our bedroom and when I rolled over my knee hit the cot and he right away started screaming. What can I do to get him out of this 'high alert' feeling?

Last edited by caza on Sat, Aug 10 2019, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

satmerer

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 8:50 pm
It looks like he's having nightmares. Is he watching tv or movies during the day? Maybe get him a special security blanket that can help him feel more at ease.

karat

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 9:32 pm
Did anything change in his daily routine?

Do you work?
Is he at a babysitter during the day?

caza

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 9:36 pm
satmerer wrote:
It looks like he's having nightmares. Is he watching tv or movies during the day? Maybe get him a special security blanket that can help him feel more at ease.

He is not watching tv or movies and he already sleeps with s blanket a teddy bear which he vuddles

caza

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 9:37 pm
karat wrote:
Did anything change in his daily routine?

Do you work?
Is he at a babysitter during the day?

He is usually at a can't fitter but he has been off for the summer the last week

chicco

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 9:59 pm
Is he waking up the same time every night? If so, it is a good chance that it is night terrors. You can't stop them or snap your kid out of them, but what you can do is try to break the cycle by waking your child 15 minutes before you expect a night terror.

Good luck!

karat

Post Sat, Aug 10 2019, 10:58 pm
caza wrote:
He is usually at a can't fitter but he has been off for the summer the last week

Maybe I’m paranoid but I would be suspicious about what’s going on at the babysitter.

How long has he been at this particular babysitter?
Can you speak to a few mothers who send there and ask if they have noticed any unusual behaviors in their babies/toddlers?

caza

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:33 am
karat wrote:
Maybe I’m paranoid but I would be suspicious about what’s going on at the babysitter.

How long has he been at this particular babysitter?
Can you speak to a few mothers who send there and ask if they have noticed any unusual behaviors in their babies/toddlers?

I am the same....
I was worried about it and he is in a childcare setting that belongs to my work place (for us workers) so they put in CCTV a couple of months ago and there is someone checking it a few times a day.

caza

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:35 am
chicco wrote:
Is he waking up the same time every night? If so, it is a good chance that it is night terrors. You can't stop them or snap your kid out of them, but what you can do is try to break the cycle by waking your child 15 minutes before you expect a night terror.

Good luck!

I will try that, did it at some point for habitual waking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics