Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Is Touro shul in RI a frum minian shabbes?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:27 am
Is it MO or frumer? Is it reform? is there a Proper mechitza? thanks

Really I can daven also at any chabad that has a hotel nearby. If anyone has done that in Newport or the topiary garden area, I'd appreciate to know which hotel and which shul was used. It can be MO With a proper mechitza or chabad, JUst not reform. And each gender stays with their original gender during davening.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 1:56 am
Orthodox, nusach sfard
https://www.tourosynagogue.org.....vices

It's on their website.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 3:03 am
Thank you!

treetop12

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 7:05 am
The women sit upstairs on a balcony

pesek zman

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:17 am
It is orthodox. The women are upstairs same as in all historic Shuls. But don’t expect a chassidish or heimish shul: it’s neither. It’s also. Not air conditioned

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:55 am
thanks a lot

Lilibet

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:16 am
Newport doesn't really have an orthodox community, what it has has an orthodox shul designed by a notable architect back when Rhode Island was an English colony. In the 1800s, when there were no Jews living in Newport, the keys were given to New York's Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, under whose aegis (the current Rav of he S&P Synagogue is Meir Soloveitchik,) the Touro synagogue has survived, and a very small number of observant Jews live in town.

Today it is a tourist shul, and it is perfectly orthodox even though many of the people who attend services are non-observant tourists who come for the experience of davening in a very old shul. Like the shul-tourist crowds you see in in Safat, Amsterdam and Prague.

Enjoy the topiary garden, but if you have time, do take in the cliff walk, one or 2 of the old mansions, the colonial downtown area, and National Museum of American Illustration.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics