Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Anyone trying to fast, even though you got a heter?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:46 am
Banging head Banging head Banging head
You're all getting the picture totally wrong, but it's my fault cause I refuse to provide details Can't Believe It
All I can say is that it's not even slightly risky for me to fast if I'm feeling perfectly fine.
I keep on forgetting that I'm fasting, cause all I'm doing is relaxing, reading and Imamother!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an "excuse"not to fast. My dh got a heter for me. But I'm feeling sort of fine. Slight headache, and weakness, and I'm feeling hungry lol. But I'm fine otherwise, and it's not dangerous for me to fast. So I try one more hour at a time. Is there a point? Dh makes me feel foolish for pushing off eating when I don't have to. I don't mind fasting and it makes more sense for me.
Anyone get me here?

I tried that one year. Made it through and was sick for a month after. IV a week after. Still sick a month after. Never again.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:16 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I tried that one year. Made it through and was sick for a month after. IV a week after. Still sick a month after. Never again.

Do you have a medical condition? Was a bad faster in past?
All this can impact the desicion to eat.

This doesn’t happen to most healthy people who have fasted in the past successfully.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an "excuse"not to fast. My dh got a heter for me. But I'm feeling sort of fine. Slight headache, and weakness, and I'm feeling hungry lol. But I'm fine otherwise, and it's not dangerous for me to fast. So I try one more hour at a time. Is there a point? Dh makes me feel foolish for pushing off eating when I don't have to. I don't mind fasting and it makes more sense for me.
Anyone get me here?

If you got a better, its for a reason. Listen to your body and your Rabbi. It's not a mitzvah to fast if you aren't supposed to

My dd works in a special needs camp. The last fast was horrible. It was really hot with no AC. She didn't fast at all.

I asked about Tisha Bav. We were told she should start fasting. If she feels bad she should break her fast. Her camper is a really difficult, but adorable child.

Today bh it's not that hot. Dd will try to fast until Chatzos.

I have another dc in camp, almost bar/bat mitzvah age. Dr said dc shouldn't fast for a specific reason. Camp was Informed and dc will be the only one in the bunk not fasting

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:25 am
It all depends what the heter is based on.

If you usually skip breakfast no problem, you don't eat it today just because you got a heter.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:26 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Do you have a medical condition? Was a bad faster in past?
All this can impact the desicion to eat.

This doesn’t happen to most healthy people who have fasted in the past successfully.

I have a dehydration issue and have always been a bad faster.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:40 am
I had a panic attack last time I fasted. My rav said I can’t even try to fast. He told me I had to make havdala and eat and drink normally from the start of the fast.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Banging head Banging head Banging head
You're all getting the picture totally wrong, but it's my fault cause I refuse to provide details Can't Believe It
All I can say is that it's not even slightly risky for me to fast if I'm feeling perfectly fine.
I keep on forgetting that I'm fasting, cause all I'm doing is relaxing, reading and Imamother!

Were you told not to fast or that you may break your fast at any time?
Many years ago I was told not to fast. My dh called me to ask if I ate and I said not yet. He said that the psak was NOT to fast and waited on the phone while I made a bracha and put something in my mouth.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:57 am
The situation is not so clear
I'm thinking of calling a Rav and hearing a personal answer from him

dankbar

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:06 am
how do you get havdalah now, if women dont drink from havdalah?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:09 am
dankbar wrote:

Women definitely can drink from havdala

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:42 am
dankbar wrote:

My husband was told to make havdalah and that I should drink it

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 11:14 am
I'm not allowed to day today, and it's really bothering me that I can't. I feel like I'm not zoned into Tisha B'Av. Kudos to everyone who is choosing to voluntarily!

Beingreal

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 11:24 am
I was told to make Havdalah on apple juice. If I fast, I can get really sick and land in the hospital. I feel like when people find out I can't fastn they make me feel I am doing something wrong.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 11:26 am
dankbar wrote:

There are different halachic opinions about women and havdalah, not just on a fast day, but also after any regular Shabbat. If a woman is from a community where women don't make havdalah for themselves needs to end her fast early she should ask a rav what to do.

Aylat

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 11:40 am
Rappel wrote:
I'm not allowed to day today, and it's really bothering me that I can't. I feel like I'm not zoned into Tisha B'Av. Kudos to everyone who is choosing to voluntarily!

You can be connected to the day even if you have to eat. The things I'm trying to do: eating plain foods, eg pita by itself with no fillings. Since I already broke my fast I went to shul this morning for leining and kinnot. Watched interviews with Holocaust survivors with my kids. And now trying to listen to a shiur about Eicha (in between making supper and mediating arguments).

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 11:47 am
My baby is six weeks old. I am a pretty good faster. The rav said I shouldn’t fast and I drank grape juice after havdala last night. I will say it’s annoying to eat on those crazy low benches and because I’m not fasting I did forget and sit on regular chairs

sury123

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 12:10 pm
I don't fast b/c I'm nursing and my DH said I should not make havdalah ,wondering if he made a mistake ,does everyone make havdalah ?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 12:11 pm
sury123 wrote:
I don't fast b/c I'm nursing and my DH said I should not make havdalah ,wondering if he made a mistake ,does everyone make havdalah ?

He should make havdala, and you should drink the grape juice.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 12:17 pm
sury123 wrote:

Some people hold that you can eat and hear havdallah at night
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note