Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What do you eat on the break fast meal
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:52 pm
ectomorph wrote:
They served it at a Ateres/ Bnos Melochim event I attended as a teen. I assumed they wouldn't feed a very frum group of BY girls something with vodka?

If all the alcohol is cooked out?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The effects of the alcohol evaporates when it cooks but the flavor still remains.

Fascinating. Don't remember a single thing they said. The c penne a la vodka made the most impression.it didn't taste like vodka

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 8:58 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Fascinating. Don't remember a single thing they said. The c penne a la vodka made the most impression.it didn't taste like vodka

You don't remember a thing because of all the vodka!!!
I am kidding the vodka cooks out. We all always remember the food. Which teen goes and focuses on lectures. It's about food and friends.

purpleonion

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:05 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
So I’m also making onion soup and I’m curious if you or others who are also asked a shailah about using wine for the soup. My recipe says it’s optional so I’m just going to skip it but in the past I’ve used it so I don’t know how it will affect the flavor. I’m wondering if specifically using cooking wine would be permitted since it’s not the same as drinking wine. Anyone have any thoughts or have asked about this before?

I never use wine when I make it

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:52 pm
purpleonion wrote:
I never use wine when I make it

What do you use to balance out the sweetness? My husband gave me the idea to use balsamic vinegar which Bh did the trick. Is that what you use?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
The effects of the alcohol evaporates when it cooks but the flavor still remains.

This. Hence pregnant women can eat foods cooked with wine.

Could be, ectomorph, that they did not use it (due to cost, convenience or otherwise), but generally penne a la vodka does contain vodka.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:53 pm
Leftover salmon, fresh scrambled eggs, leftover veg, olives, coffee, cream

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:54 pm
What do you use to balance out the sweetness? My husband gave me the idea to use balsamic vinegar which Bh did the trick. Is that what you use?

What sweetness?
I know some recipes call for soy sauce or cooking wine (which should be allowed).

Mine just has onions, flour, seasoning and water.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:58 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What sweetness?
I know some recipes call for soy sauce or cooking wine (which should be allowed).

Mine just has onions, flour, seasoning and water.

My recipe calls for caramelizing the onions first and in general when onions cook they give off a sweet flavor.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 9:59 pm
My recipe calls for caramelizing the onions first and in general when onions cook they give off a sweet flavor.

So does mine...
I like it without any additions but glad the balsamic vinegar worked for you

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:00 pm

Mine also isn't sweet and doesn't call for wine and for sure no vinegar. My recipe is based off the Moosewood cookbook and its amazing.

smile12345

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:00 pm
watergirl wrote:
Mine also isn't sweet and doesn't call for wine and for sure no vinegar. My recipe is based off the Moosewood cookbook and its amazing.

Would you be able to post the recipe?

eschaya

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:07 pm
Onion soup (made by 11 y/o son)
Cheese babkas (made by 15 year old daughter)
Fried fish tacos
Spinach salad
Chocolate chip cookies (made by 13 year old son)

I dont particularly like to bake, so grateful that my kids enjoy it. Though I have to deal with the kitchen aftermath (even after they officially "cleaned up after themselves" ).

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 11 2019, 10:11 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Can I have the potato Bureka mushroom sauce recippe?

Sorry I don't really have one. I searched on imamother first. I used the basic recipe from all the threads I read. Sauteed onions, added mushrooms and sauteed some more. Add salt and pepper to taste. Added water until I got the desired consistency. This time though I had a little french onion soup I didn't want to throw out so I poured that in too instead of plain water. Sometimes I use a little onion soup mix instead. I wish it was more of an exact recipe but for some reason this is one thing I always wing.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:18 pm
Homemade tapioca pudding
Orange juice

I honestly couldn’t eat more!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note