Home

Marina's Podcast Recommendations
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

smss

Post  Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:13 pm
SleepingBeauty wrote:
I can't listen to this, due to my filter. But I would really like to know what she said. Could you summarize please?

To clarify, the podcast isn't by Rachel Tuchman, she just recommended it.

This is from her IG post about it:
Some important take aways were:
1) Abusers don't just groom their victims, they groom their families too.
2) Even the most well-intentioned adults can miss the signs (many parents were in the room when their child was being abused by Larry). They thought Larry was the best doctor, the best friend, the best guy.
3) You MUST believe your child. Not listening or choosing to downplay or ignore can cause trauma deeper than the abuse itself.
4) Maintaining a relationship with your child's abuser is destructive to your child and to your relationship with your child. YOU are supposed to be their protector.
5) If your child discloses abuse don't ask them "What do you want to do?" REPORT IT TO THE AUTHORITIES and keep them away from that person.
6) TRUST YOUR GUT. If you feel like something is not right, go with that feeling and teach your kids to do the same thing.

smss

Post  Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:15 pm
marina wrote:

I remember when listening to it that I kept thinking about how much trust people give authority figures, trust that is sometimes not warranted at all.

I think this is also one of the biggest takeaways.

Fox

Post  Tue, Aug 13 2019, 1:49 pm
Glad to see you starting this thread!

marina wrote:
Here is a Freakonomics episode about how our political system is failing us by creating a duopoly and forcing us to choose between two companies/organizations/parties that only care about enriching themselves and not about providing value to the people they serve. This also explores steps that would help us change the system.

Really interesting, but I'm not entirely convinced. The sheer size of the U.S. population, geographic area, and economy catapults leaders to higher levels of attention and fame than they'd receive in smaller or less dominant countries. In terms of attracting narcissists and sociopaths, politics gives those without acting talent or requisite attractiveness an alternative to becoming movie stars.

Almost all the Freakonomics podcasts are interesting, IMHO. Though they have a tendency to end on the same note of, "Somebody oughta do something!"

marina wrote:
Here is a super interesting This American Life episode about a girl kidnapped in America and forced to live with a fundamentalist family in Pakistan and how the book Little Women helped her through.

I listened to this one while stuck in traffic on an expressway, and it nearly induced road rage. The story was interesting and the podcast comes so close to exploring it!

Unfortunately, they veered off into the familiar trope of misogyny-dressed-as-feminism, where the host and protagonist shared their love of the character of Jo while congratulating themselves on not identifying with the girly-girl character of Meg. Surprise! They didn't like the second part of the book, where the lives of the characters involve more complex roles.

The most poignant element, I felt, was the disengagement the protagonist, now a social worker, felt from both cultures, and how that disengagement had stunted her ability to live fully in either world.

marina

Post  Tue, Aug 13 2019, 2:52 pm
Fox wrote:

The most poignant element, I felt, was the disengagement the protagonist, now a social worker, felt from both cultures, and how that disengagement had stunted her ability to live fully in either world.

yep that part was interesting and also the part where she talks about using Little Women like the bible or the igros just randomly opening it and seeking advice
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Notable Clips & Links