Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
High Fiber Diet

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:14 pm
I need to put my toddler on a high fiber diet due to terrible constipation. I’m so bad at these things looking for ideas of what I can feed him.

Thanks

ectomorph

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 5:31 pm
Prunes
Raisins

champagne

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:03 pm
My son also has really bad chronic constipation and along with daily Miralax we try to keep fruits in his diet. Fruits like mango or pear—puréed or sliced—is great.

Legumes are high in fiber, so things like peas and beans are great— if he would eat them plain or blended into a soup.

Brussel sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower—all high in fiber. But with fruits and veggies that are high in fiber, give reasonable portions that are balanced with other things like complex carbs and healthy fats—or you will be dealing with really painful gas.

Stay away from processed grains like white challah and go for more complex carbs.
These are good options:
Bran flakes (for cereal)
Whole wheat pasta
Oatmeal

Flaxseed is another ingredient that’s high in fiber. I would add it to smoothies/yogurts—I’m sure you can find lots of recipes online that sneak it in

Most important is not serving too many simple carbs and keeping up a constant flow of varied vegetables and fruits. The combo of water and fiber in fruits and veggies is what really gets everything going. It shouldn’t just be the ones I mentioned above—ideally it should be a balance of everything like carbier veggies (carrots, banana, sweet potatoes etc) and also greens (spinach, lettuce, cucumbers)

I’m not a nutritionist so I may have made a mistake but that’s what works for us

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 12 2019, 6:07 pm
Thanks so much for your responses gonna have to try and implement some changes in his diet and hope it will work.
I have him on miralax daily but it seems crazy to me however as soon as I stop it for a day or two he gets crazy constipated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics