Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What's your tuition bill?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:52 pm
It's about 17k for 3 kids AFTER vouchers and after a small discount. If I hear one more person talk about free tuition I will probably bite their head off Twisted Evil

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:55 pm
Regarding "free tuition", where are you located that you get vouchers? Also, if you are under a certain income bracket based on family size, isn't it true that you can't be charged any tuition above the voucher?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 8:59 pm
One 5 year old in school. $1100/month

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:17 pm
Wow! 3k for 7 kids...wow thats around $428 per child.........

Is this chassidish school? Or is this a huge discount....

So far, my 3 oldest kids in school are in nyc schools and I pay around 1k per kid ....this is with a tiny scholarship...so if im paying around 3k a month for only 3 kids!! I wish I can pay 3k for 7 kids....my tuition bill will be so high wen my younger kuds become school age and ill be paying for them too!! And, I dont earn much !!

Wow!! I always wondered how others managed but I didnt realize ppl are paying so little.....

Op, im sorry if u are stressed about tuition but I have to cut everything out to be able to afford tuition which is a lot more $ for me than I see others here are paying.....I have no cleaning lady, no bungalows, no camp, no vacations, I clean my own sheitel , only buy cheaper foods, take subway instead of driving(saves gas tolls but its harder for us).. etc...otherwise I cant pay tuition.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:20 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
It's about 17k for 3 kids AFTER vouchers and after a small discount. If I hear one more person talk about free tuition I will probably bite their head off Twisted Evil

I also live in a city that gets vouchers and still have to pay tuition. Last year I had two kids in school but one was in pre-k so she didn't qualify so our bill was around 15,000. This year it'll be around 10,000 since she'll only stay the shorter day and next year it'll go up again. That doesn't change the fact that a large percentage do not pay at all or only fees.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:22 pm
Lakewood 1 boy 550/month, 1 girl 450/ month. Nursery 375/ per month

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 9:59 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Regarding "free tuition", where are you located that you get vouchers? Also, if you are under a certain income bracket based on family size, isn't it true that you can't be charged any tuition above the voucher?

Ohio. Yes, if you are under a certain income bracket tuition is free. But that bracket is very low, especially if someone doesn't have a large family. A large percentage of parents are paying nothing, it's extremely frustrating.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:14 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Ohio. Yes, if you are under a certain income bracket tuition is free. But that bracket is very low, especially if someone doesn't have a large family. A large percentage of parents are paying nothing, it's extremely frustrating.

I hear ya. We are also a small family. It's a very large percentage not paying. I was speaking to a friend who grew up "here" and she said she thinks the percentage of "full paying" is about the same as when she was growing up pre-vouchers...

it really bothers my dh though...like why pay if most people aren't but I try to take the attitude of I'm getting a service, why shouldn't the people providing it get paid for that service? the vouchers doesn't cover the service.

to add insult to injury we were told we had to sign up for facts and then our check payment wasn't put in before the next e-mail so we would get e-mails saying we hadn't paid when really we had. Twice I even got phone calls. So basically the thank you we got was being harassed...

We decided to switch schools for next year for other reasons but I am looking forward to not being harassed about payments I already paid...

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 10:14 pm
3 kids (1 elementary, 2 middle school) = about $26K (that includes some tuition assistance) Location OOT school that serves MO and yeshivish

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:05 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
If you're asking me, no I haven't. Hard to negotiate if you don't have a starting point. ("I can afford about $2.50 per month in tuition. Will that be acceptable?")

Exactly. Thinking about homeschooling now. !!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:07 am
turca wrote:
A lot. 10 kids, from yeshiva through day care. About 75k year. Basically all my income goes for it. Husband pays for the rest of expenses.

How do you manage having 10 kids and still find time/ability to earn 75k per year??? Please teach me how to do that!

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:10 am
zero cuz dh is employed at the school so he gets a lower salary in exchange for free tutiton which means we end up coming out ahead. if dh ever decides to change jobs, we're toast!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:17 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

So far, my 3 oldest kids in school are in nyc schools and I pay around 1k per kid ....this is with a tiny scholarship...so if im paying around 3k a year for only 3 kids!! I wish I can pay 3k for 7 kids....my tuition bill will be so high wen my younger kuds become school age and ill be paying for them too!! And, I dont earn much !!

Wow!! I always wondered how others managed but I didnt realize ppl are paying so little.....

Op, im sorry if u are stressed about tuition but I have to cut everything out to be able to afford tuition which is a lot more $ for me than I see others here are paying.....I have no cleaning lady, no bungalows, no camp, no vacations, I clean my own sheitel , only buy cheaper foods, take subway instead of driving(saves gas tolls but its harder for us).. etc...otherwise I cant pay tuition.

I totally hear you. I haven't been on vacation for close to 18 years, no camp, no daycamp, etc....and we still can't afford tuition. Looking to earn more money. Don't see any other way out...

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ages 3-17, 7 kids. NY. About $3000/month
No idea how we're going to cover.
Is this typical?

To answer your question, it's atypical; the tuition amount you pay for 7 kids is far lower than the average tuition bill of similar sized families in NY. If you've exhausted speaking to the school to negotiate the bill (as well as giving services), then your options are kind of limited. For the children to continue in their current schools, you will have to figure out a way to increase your income and decrease expenditures. Also consider paying the bill over 12 months instead of ten.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 1:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Exactly. Thinking about homeschooling now. !!

FYI, Melamed Academy is app 2K annually per child. Goes up in price for older children. You don't have to go with it, but it sure does take a load of homeschooling parents.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 3:28 am
I live in Israel and I currently pay for 5 kids. In a couple of years the 6th will be in school, as well as the older ones getting to higher grades, resulting in a large tuition jump at that time.

I now pay a bit over $1000 a month.

It drives me crazy when people assume that tuition is peanuts in Israel. You really need to look at it relative to salaries. If tuition is so much lower but salary is so much lower, you're in the same situation. And I've never heard of discounts here, even when I had 3 kids in the same school.

Relative to the mean and median salary being so low, (NOT the average salary!) it's a large chunk of most family's incomes, in addition to the already high cost of living mentioned upthread relative to the low salaries here. It's no wonder the stereotype about Israelis living in overdraft exists.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:32 am
I'm considering converting to chassidish as a backup plan.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 6:57 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

So far, my 3 oldest kids in school are in nyc schools and I pay around 1k per kid ....this is with a tiny scholarship...so if im paying around 3k a year for only 3 kids!! I wish I can pay 3k for 7 kids....my tuition bill will be so high wen my younger kuds become school age and ill be paying for them too!! And, I dont earn much !!

It's 3k a month not per year! Big difference.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:55 am
ectomorph wrote:
I'm considering converting to chassidish as a backup plan.

Lol, love this line !!!!💕💕

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:21 am
I pay 23,200 a year for 2 kids in a Bais yaakov school. So close to 2,000 a month for 2 kids.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics