Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do I find a nanny I can trust?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:07 pm
I need to get a nanny to look after my baby for a few hours a day. How do I go about finding someone trustworthy?

If I go through an agency I still can't be sure that the nanny is completely trustworthy and will look after my baby with the utmost warmth and care, right?

I'm so so nervous about leaving my precious baby with someone I don't know...

Has anyone used nanny monitors before?

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I need to get a nanny to look after my baby for a few hours a day. How do I go about finding someone trustworthy?

If I go through an agency I still can't be sure that the nanny is completely trustworthy and will look after my baby with the utmost warmth and care, right?

Go to the park and watch the nannies with kids. You'll see good, bad and mediocre. Choose a good nanny, introduce yourself, tell her that you're looking for someone, and ask if she knows anyone looking for a position. IME, the good nannies rarely hang out with bad ones.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I used a hidden nanny cam . I am not familiar with the monitors.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:40 pm
Check local FB groups for babysitter/nannies. Check frum mom groups, and hopefully you'll find a Jewish nanny for your child.

Do not go with teenagers. You'll get what you pay for. Offer a little more money than standard. Check for local references, and CALL THEM. Be sure that the nanny is Red Cross Certified.

Depending on the time you need help, you could probably find a reliable mom who has all her kids in school during that time, and she could nanny until her kids get home.

I don't have DD at home anymore, so I take on as much babysitting/nanny care as I can get.

I am consistently appalled at how much work people expect you to do, and then they only want to pay you $5 an hour. Dog walkers get paid more than that! Pay your worker what she is worth. Your child will be safer, and you'll be more likely to have reliable help that won't leave you for a better paying job.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:42 pm
Here's what I do:
1. Ask great nannies if they know anyone available
2. Have someone who is very good at feeling people out join you when you're interviewing her
3. Have her do a trial for a couple of hours while you're home
4. Go with your gut. Don't underestimate this.
5. Use hidden cameras
6. Have you and/or dh pop into the house unannounced very often at first

I have very high standards. If I'm not 100% happy I'm 0% happy and it's time for someone else. That's the only way I can feel comfortable leaving my baby with someone.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 3:45 pm
My sister went through five nannies until she found the right one. She interviewed , had them go through a trial period while she was at home , she drove by the park while they nannies were sitting there with the baby and checked out to see what she was doing without the nanny knowing. Etc. But once she found the right one that one ended up being perfect for her needs and worked for her for many years.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 5:58 pm
In my experience networking is key. Tell everyone you know that you are looking. If someone you know tells you about a nanny they have experience with you’ll be much more comfortable.
I totally get your nervousness I was a bundle of nerves for a long time when I first hired a nanny. Till I built up trust.

monkeys

Post Tue, Aug 13 2019, 6:00 pm
In my case, I got a nanny from another frum woman in the neighborhood whose youngest was starting school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics