Home

Minhag re Outfit Baby Leaves Hospital In
Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


nchr




 
 
 
 

Post  Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:05 pm
There is one city in Hungary (forgot the name) and people who descend from that city have a minhag to prepare new items for the baby prior to its birth as a segula to have a healthy baby. It's specific to that particular city. That may be where people associated new clothes with babies?
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:03 am
thunderstorm wrote:
So look how shticky I am. I was “ahead” of the trend already 13 years ago! Very Happy

Mazel tov on the bar mitzva!
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:05 am
I always make a point that *I* have a new outfit to go home in. Something pretty, flattering and super comfortable. After giving birth and being all gross and bloody, I need something to lift my spirits. I physically feel better when I wear this new outfit.
Back to top

amother




Puce
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:15 pm
I have a friend whose mother is very makpid about this. A baby should go home in something bought for them. Something about their own mazel and not someone else’s.
I think it’s a nice thing but I wouldn’t drive myself crazy about it. this friend took it upon herself-with my permission- to buy going home outfits for each of my kids.
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:46 pm
Never heard of it. All my kids came home from the hospital wearing the exact same thing. I've since given away all my baby clothes but could never bear to part with that outfit.
Back to top

amother




Copper
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:48 pm
Teomima wrote:
Never heard of it. All my kids came home from the hospital wearing the exact same thing. I've since given away all my baby clothes but could never bear to part with that outfit.


Seeing your name reminds me-- I packed SO many clothes for the twins! 8 outfits in total! 4 if they would be boys and 4 if they would be girls (I always pack a 'back up' in case they poop in the first one, which happened with my first child and DH had to go home and get another outfit to bring her home in...!!)
Back to top

Teomima




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:51 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Seeing your name reminds me-- I packed SO many clothes for the twins! 8 outfits in total! 4 if they would be boys and 4 if they would be girls (I always pack a 'back up' in case they poop in the first one, which happened with my first child and DH had to go home and get another outfit to bring her home in...!!)

My twins didn't come home at the same time Sad so that one outfit was enough.
Back to top

happyone




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 3:06 pm
is the minhag also that the MIL needs to sponsor the take home outfit and it can only be non-sale designer pcs?
Back to top

amother




Emerald
 

Post  Sun, Jan 26 2020, 12:44 pm
I know this is a somewhat old thread but I recently read through it and was convinced by all the wise Imamothers on here that this "minhag" to dress the baby in a new outfit is another superstitious bubbe mayse with no source at all.
Until I came across the following in a sefer called Yad Leyoledes, The Halachos of Pregnancy and Childbirth, by Rabbi Yisroel Dov Webster:
"The first clothing a newborn child wears should be new. If a child is born at home or in a birthing center, this minhag would apply to the clothing worn immediately after birth. If the child is born in a hospital, this would apply to the clothing worn when the child is brought home." Page 179.
The source is given in the name of the Sh'lah Hakadosh. He also adds in the footnote to be careful not to dress a boy in girl's clothes and vice versa for their first outfit. (Something I am guilty of doing, as my first son was born after several girls and I just asked my husband to bring any baby stretchie from the box...)
Just goes to show that even if a minhag makes no "sense" to you, it doesn't mean there is no halachic source.
I wish I had seen that before my recent birth (last week) as opposed to after. I hope OP sees this and feels validated after all the naysayers on here.
Back to top

amother




Turquoise
 

Post  Sun, Jan 26 2020, 1:08 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I know this is a somewhat old thread but I recently read through it and was convinced by all the wise Imamothers on here that this "minhag" to dress the baby in a new outfit is another superstitious bubbe mayse with no source at all.
Until I came across the following in a sefer called Yad Leyoledes, The Halachos of Pregnancy and Childbirth, by Rabbi Yisroel Dov Webster:
"The first clothing a newborn child wears should be new. If a child is born at home or in a birthing center, this minhag would apply to the clothing worn immediately after birth. If the child is born in a hospital, this would apply to the clothing worn when the child is brought home." Page 179.
The source is given in the name of the Sh'lah Hakadosh. He also adds in the footnote to be careful not to dress a boy in girl's clothes and vice versa for their first outfit. (Something I am guilty of doing, as my first son was born after several girls and I just asked my husband to bring any baby stretchie from the box...)
Just goes to show that even if a minhag makes no "sense" to you, it doesn't mean there is no halachic source.
I wish I had seen that before my recent birth (last week) as opposed to after. I hope OP sees this and feels validated after all the naysayers on here.

I heard of this minhag. I followed it by hospital births when there was time to buy new thing, but by my homebirths, since I need to dress baby right away, I didn't do it since I didn't know gender. We are very makpid on the girl wearing boy thing and vice versa as well, so I prepared neutral colored clothing that would be ok for both.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Baby Doppler heart beat tracker (NIB) for sale
by amother
0 Today at 2:18 pm View last post
How to dress to hide growing baby bump
by amother
7 Today at 10:49 am View last post
Traveling with 9 month old baby
by amother
10 Yesterday at 4:10 am View last post
Baby sleeping schedule
by amother
18 Mon, Jun 01 2020, 5:06 pm View last post
Baby clothing brands
by newima
8 Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:28 pm View last post

Jump to: