Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How long does your ped take to do school forms?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 7:33 pm
I recently moved so my kids are seeing a new pediatrician. In the past, when I would drop off school/camp forms to fill out, I'd have them back in a day or two. This office just told me it's going to be two weeks!! It is a larger practice than where we used to go, so I guess there's that. And I do understand that at this time of year, they are probably swamped with school forms. But is this really normal or is this a sign that they're not a very efficient office?

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:07 pm
Probably not very efficient. And when you'll need a referral it might take a while as well.

pause

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:11 pm
What kind of school forms? If you schedule appropriate well visits, all the info should be on your kids' records. My doctor's office prints out the record, staples it to the form and done. Total time: 30 seconds.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:12 pm
On the spot for forms provided at a routine office visit. At least several days (plus a fee) if not at an office visit.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:16 pm
While I wait. And this is a pretty big health center. (8 pediatricians in the ped dept alone)

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:18 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
On the spot for forms provided at a routine office visit. At least several days (plus a fee) if not at an office visit.

Same at the practice I use.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:28 pm
2 weeks is long, but wait, you said this is a new dr, so wont it take time for this new dr to get your children's records from their old"" dr?? I know the school nyc health form asks for the entire immunization record which this new dr does not have yet.

So, if the reason it is taking so long is because your kids are new, fine. If this office always takes 2 weeks to fill out forms, I would say they are not efficient because it means you will be waiting every time you need a referral or.. and 2 weeks can "turn into" a longer time period.

I had a pediatrician such that the secretary took a long time to fill out forms such that she almost made me miss my son's operation and bh in the end, I found a new dr that has a very efficient secretary. It is important.

My kids' health forms are usually done within a few days, but I always take care of them before the "school rush time".

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:35 pm
this is interesting to me. what is on these forms? Why do they need a medical office involvement?

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:38 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
this is interesting to me. what is on these forms? Why do they need a medical office involvement?
It's basically medical clearance to participate in all school activities, with any relevant medical conditions noted. And immunization records.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:45 pm
The school requires them because the state law requires them. They have to be from the current year, but my pediatrician would not see a child until he reached the actual birthday for the annual which made it a pain for a September birthday. It was such a stupid rule that did not exist until my last child was around 15. At that point, I was not shopping around for a new pediatrician so I just would send in last year's forms early (in June) and the current year's in October if the school actually noticed the submitted forms were from the previous year.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:54 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
It's basically medical clearance to participate in all school activities, with any relevant medical conditions noted. And immunization records.

Oh. Seems like a major burden for doctors. Can't parents be trusted to provide details of their kids medical history?

Immunization I understand.

satmerer

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:57 pm
My kids Ped. also just prints them out instantly, unless they have a well visit scheduled.

mfb

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 8:57 pm
My dr. Just prints out his own generic form with all the information as long as the child was seen in the office within the last year. Takes about 30 seconds.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:03 pm
Same day or next day.

Old ped was 2-3 days usually, but sometimes up to a week during busy times.
We don't have to turn in camp or school forms here though. There state (or maybe it's our county?) has two standard forms, one for general health and one for vaccine record. So the doctor has them on the ready. You just request them completed to be picked up.

So people know camp or school is coming up and you can just request them ahead of the rush.

Obviously with your move and switching doctors you're at a disadvantage. If not having them done on time is going to be a problem, you should call and explain your situation and appeal to their humanity. And if that doesn't help, appeal to the wallet and offer to pay a rush fee.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:04 pm
We have a patient portal. The forms are available immediately after a well visit. I just sign the parent part and upload it when I register my kids. It’s super easy.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 9:54 pm
New doctor, as in, not the same place we used last year, but we moved at the end of the school year, my kids have all been seen at this practice already and they have all our records. There was a sign in the office that said it will take two weeks, and I asked to confirm and they said yes, two weeks. I did ask if they could just print out the immunization records, and they did. I emailed those to the school, pretty sure that's the most important part anyway. But there's still the rest of the form that I have to wait for, that asks about general health, allergies, etc. Even if I filled it out myself, it still requires the doctor's stamp and signature.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:45 pm
At well visit. Immediately.
If drop off with in the week. Normally faster.
Huge busy practice.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 10:47 pm
pause wrote:
What kind of school forms? If you schedule appropriate well visits, all the info should be on your kids' records. My doctor's office prints out the record, staples it to the form and done. Total time: 30 seconds.

This. And if we misplace it, we have access online to a patient portal and just need to print it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics