Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Dd stole chocolate bar at grocery

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 14 2019, 11:54 pm
I took my daughter who is going into pre1a to the grocery. At the checkout she was touching all the chocolate bars on the shelf and I told her we’re not buying any. As I’m unloading the wagon into the car she shows me a chocolate bar that she hid under her shirt. I told her that that is stealing and it’s not even a kosher bar and we walked back to store and put it back and that was it. I didn’t do anything further. None of my other kids did this but I imagine it’s not so uncommon. How did u handle it?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 12:02 am
She was sneaky, so she obviously understood the difference between stealing and just being a little kid who wants something.

I would have taken her to the store manager (or at least a stern looking cashier) and have her apologize. Most every store manager I know loves it when parents take little kids in for a good lesson. It cuts down immensely on shoplifting in the future because it makes a huge impression. Even grown adults remember clearly the feeling of shame when they got lectured at the age of 4 or 5.

I don't mean traumatize her to hysterics, but a couple of tears and sniffles would be in order. When you get home, talk to her about the 10 Commandments, and why stealing is on the list.

Hatzlocha!

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:03 am
Been there, done that!! Like FF said, they have to learn.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:43 am
I remember my grandmother A"H told me that when she was a little girl in Czekoslovakia, a (non-Jewish) neighbor had a beautiful plum tree. One day she came home with a couple of ripe, delicious plums in her hands.

Her mother H"YD marched her over to the neighbor's house and made her knock on the door and hand over the plums, admit she had stolen them, and apologize.

The neighbors were on excellent terms with them and tried to help them later on....

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 5:53 am
I once did that. My parents made me tell the owner, acknowledge what I had done and apologize. Plus. It was under her skirt, gross you put it back.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 6:30 am
I’m in my 40’s now and I once did something similar at around 6-7 years old and I haven’t forgotten.

We were shopping in a large supermarket and in the front of the store was a stand with yellow hard candies (they were probably being sold by the pound). I asked my mother if she can buy me one and she said “no”. When she wasn’t looking, I went back a took one, unwrapped it and put it in my mouth. It tasted horrible ! Probably butternut scotch which is not really a child friendly flavor. I spit it out and felt so bad that I stole something that was probably not kosher anyway.
BH I never did something like that ever again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers