Home

Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Poll

Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
yes - we are chassidish
 28%  [ 56 ]
Yes - we are not chassidish
 30%  [ 61 ]
No - we are chassidish
 7%  [ 15 ]
No - we are not chassidish
 32%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 197


amother




OP


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:39 pm
Am undecided if I should pierce my baby's ears now or wait till shes a little older and would appreciate/be excited for it. What do you think? What did/would you do?

eta - the only reason the poll specifically mentions chassidish is because someone told me (I dont' know this for a fact) that chassidim almost always pierce their baby's ears. In which case I'd want to see separately what other people do.
Back to top

amother




Ivory


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:41 pm
May I know where being chassidish comes in here?????????
Back to top

amother




Coffee


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:44 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
May I know where being chassidish comes in here?????????


Certain chassidush circles (not all of them) consider pierced ears within a week of birth almost halacha. You'll see it even when they have their tenth girl.

I'm from those circles but no, not piercing my (hypothetical) girls ears before a few months- a year old. Once they start school at around 2.5 it's social suicide if they don't have pierced ears. I'm not the type of person to care about peer pressure but even I wouldn't do that to a child.
Back to top

tf




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:45 pm
I pierced my baby’s ears when they were literally newborn in the first week when I came home from the hospital. Babies have ZERO side effects. They’re uncomfortable for a moment, nurse, go to sleep, ze hu! Once they’re older, they remember and touch, feel the earrings and it’s more likely that they will pull on it.
Back to top

Tzutzie




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:47 pm
I did. For both my girls. When they were a few days old.
As babies it is virtually painless.
As they get older it hurts more. So why wait and traumatized them?

When we had it done, one of my kods winced once and the other just slept through it....
Back to top

BTova




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:49 pm
My baby slept through the ear piercing as a newborn! Didn’t feel a thing.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:50 pm
I waited 3 months on advice from my pediatrician. She said that the ears are still growing until about 3 months of age. The pediatrician herself did the piercing at her third month checkup. She cried for about a minute (she also got her vaccinations at the same time) , drank a bottle, went to sleep and didn’t complain about it since.
Back to top

amother




Tangerine


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:52 pm
I pierce as a newborn because it's SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUTE! It's like when they yawn or sneeze and you melt because it's a tiny human doing big human things.
Although, I do hear that about wanting her to be excited for it. I got earrings when I was 3, and I was super pumped. What added to the excitement was being able to pick my own earrings! So I'm kinda glad my mother took me then instead of when I was a baby.
Back to top

chicco




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:54 pm
I don't do it because I respect the fact that it is not my body and not my choice. My child is also not a doll that needs to be "dressed up."

The argument about when it is more or less painful is amazing to me. There is no way to know. What I hear is how much the parent is inconvenienced by the procedure. In any event I believe that anyone who desperately wants her ears pierced will be willing to deal with the pain.
Back to top

happyone




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:56 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I waited 3 months on advice from my pediatrician. She said that the ears are still growing until about 3 months of age. The pediatrician herself did the piercing at her third month checkup. She cried for about a minute (she also got her vaccinations at the same time) , drank a bottle, went to sleep and didn’t complain about it since.


did you say you vaccinate???? Surprised
Back to top

happyone




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:57 pm
it's really painless as newborns. by daughter slept through it.
Back to top

thunderstorm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 7:58 pm
happyone wrote:
did you say you vaccinate???? Surprised

I pierced my daughters ears AND I vaccinate. I know, CPS should be called and my children should be taken away.
Back to top

chicco




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:04 pm
Listen, everyone is free to do as they see fit, but personally the argument that people pierce ears as newborns to save their children from pain is absurd to me. Whatever pain they will have later is minimal. In my experience people run to do it immediately is because they think it is SSOOOOO CUTTTEEE.

Which to me is a bizzare reason to change someone's body without permission. But again, I understand that most of the world sees ear piercing as an inevitability and as a gift to their child. I am very much the odd one out here.
Back to top

cm




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:04 pm
No need to poke holes in a baby. She can decide for herself when she's older.
Back to top

pesek zman




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:06 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Certain chassidush circles (not all of them) consider pierced ears within a week of birth almost halacha. You'll see it even when they have their tenth girl.

I'm from those circles but no, not piercing my (hypothetical) girls ears before a few months- a year old. Once they start school at around 2.5 it's social suicide if they don't have pierced ears. I'm not the type of person to care about peer pressure but even I wouldn't do that to a child.


Pls tell me your kidding! Social suicide??

Hmmm...is that why my little chassidish cousins won’t play with my daughter? Because she’s unpierced?
Back to top

saralem




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:09 pm
Yup. I took most of my girls to the pediatrician as soon as she said it was ok. I also have bald babies and just hated when people felt the need to tell me what a cute boy I had. The earrings really stand out with very little hair! And I think it’s sooooo cute.
Back to top

bsy




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:10 pm
Chassidim are into earrings.

I personally can't bring myself to do something to my baby's body without consent when it's purely for looks. She's 3 now, and when she wants, she'll get. And we'll probably use it as a reward/incentive for something. I got at 14, and I am not traumatized in any way.
Back to top

Kiwi13




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:10 pm
My daughter is almost 2 and hasn’t had her ears pierced. If she wants it done when she’s a little older we’ll talk. I got my ears pierced when I was 4, and I wore earrings for years and years, and then in COLLEGE I didn’t wear them for several months and they both completely sealed up. My daughter has my genes. If she gets her ears pierced she’ll need to keep up with it. It’s definitely not something I’m getting her into now.
Back to top

Tzutzie




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:11 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Certain chassidush circles (not all of them) consider pierced ears within a week of birth almost halacha. You'll see it even when they have their tenth girl.

I'm from those circles but no, not piercing my (hypothetical) girls ears before a few months- a year old. Once they start school at around 2.5 it's social suicide if they don't have pierced ears. I'm not the type of person to care about peer pressure but even I wouldn't do that to a child.


The most popular kid in my class growing up got her ears pierced in 5th grade.....
She was a sweet kind girl. Very very popular and well liked....
And as chassidish as they come... satmar school in Williamsburg.
Back to top

ectomorph




 
 
 


Post  Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:11 pm
I think it's sooo cute .
Back to top
1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Where to pierce ears in Lakewood?
by amother
4 Fri, Aug 16 2019, 12:15 pm View last post
Where to earpierce my 7 year old daughters ears in jerusalem
by sara92
2 Thu, Apr 04 2019, 10:11 am View last post
Help!! DD pierced ears causing lots of trouble
by amother
2 Mon, Mar 25 2019, 1:57 pm View last post
Frenectomy - snipped babys lip and now refuses bottles
by amother
9 Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:39 pm View last post
Torn about piercing baby's ears
by amother
134 Thu, Dec 20 2018, 10:44 pm View last post

Jump to: