Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Did you/ would you pierce your baby's ears?
yes - we are chassidish  
 28%  [ 57 ]
Yes - we are not chassidish  
 31%  [ 62 ]
No - we are chassidish  
 7%  [ 15 ]
No - we are not chassidish  
 32%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 199

mommydearest654

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:12 pm
I pierced dd ears at 3 months. I was told it's a good age because the ears are more developed than a newborn

simba

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:15 pm
chicco wrote:
I don't do it because I respect the fact that it is not my body and not my choice. My child is also not a doll that needs to be "dressed up."

The argument about when it is more or less painful is amazing to me. There is no way to know. What I hear is how much the parent is inconvenienced by the procedure. In any event I believe that anyone who desperately wants her ears pierced will be willing to deal with the pain.

I agree with you 100%.
Have not pierced my daughters ears yet. When she asks I’ll consider it.

I did not get my ears pierced until after high school and it had no effect on my social life.

sky

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:18 pm
No. I wait for them to want it. Around 6 or 7.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:42 pm
Just inquired with four year old DD if she knows what earnings or pierced ears are. Nope. Fine with me.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:47 pm
I would trust the parents of a baby to care for the piercing better than child 12 or younger.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:47 pm
No, my dh really dislikes earrings on babies. I waited until they asked, which always happened close to age three so they got it for their birthday present.

cm

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I would trust the parents of a baby to care for the piercing better than child 12 or younger.

Infant piercing is almost unheard of in my circles. IME, school-age children can care for newly pierced ears just fine with some adult instruction.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:01 pm
I had my daughters ears pierced at three months
I got my ears pierced when I was 16 at a doc office

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:07 pm
No. I wouldn't want to pierce a child's ears till she could be a responsible participant in caring for the earrings.
I haven't read the whole thread but a lot of people are doing it, even without chassidish blood.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:24 pm
I wouldn't. I'll wait until they're Bas Mitzvah and mature enough to decide.

Probably one of the reasons I feel this way is because I had a lot of really painful infections, turns out I'm allergic to a lot of earrings and it runs in my family. Either I could get my daughters 24 karat gold (which I'm pretty sure none of us are allergic to), or I could just wait until they are older and they can try with 14 karat.

(I can't wear sterling silver, or even platinum. Some of my family are allergic to 14 karat too.)

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:27 pm
I got my ears pierced at about 4 or 5 and I'm traumatized about it till today. My mother spoke with me about it before and I was so crazy terrified what it would feel like and I wanted to do it!! It was fun to pick earrings after tho
IYH when I have a girl Im going to do it when shes a little baby

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:31 pm
Quote:

I got my ears pierced at about 4 or 5 and I'm traumatized about it till today. My mother spoke with me about it before and I was so crazy terrified what it would feel like and I wanted to do it!! It was fun to pick earrings after tho
IYH when I have a girl Im going to do it when shes a little baby

This. My DH wouldn't let me pierce my DD's ears when she was a baby with the same argument that we should wait until she wanted it. By the time she was 3 almost all her friends already had earrings and she was begging for it. We did it then and then she was seriously traumatized. She is now 7 and this is the first time she will let me change her earrings without screaming her head off and me having to hold her down. Until now she thought each time we put earrings in it would be like re-piercing.
My DH told me with the next girl we are absolutely doing it as a newborn LOL

flowerpower

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:33 pm
Did each one at 3 weeks. No crying, no infection... all good. Some of my chasidish cousins don’t have earrings yet everyone plays with them. Weird!😜

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:33 pm
My sister got her ears pierced at 8 and I got mine at 11. We both have terrible memories of it. Both of us pierced our daughters ears as newborns.

nchr

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 9:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Am undecided if I should pierce my baby's ears now or wait till shes a little older and would appreciate/be excited for it. What do you think? What did/would you do?

eta - the only reason the poll specifically mentions chassidish is because someone told me (I dont' know this for a fact) that chassidim almost always pierce their baby's ears. In which case I'd want to see separately what other people do.

Until recently when celebs started doing it, it was very ethic to pierce babies ears (I.e. Hispanic culture does it, First generation Europeans, Chassidim, etc.)

I would not until the kid can ask for it. We're chassidish and my siblings get constant comments that her girls aren't girly because no earrings, etc.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:01 pm
I do and yes I am chassidish. I adore tiny little studs on newborn girls so I usually do within the first 3 weeks. However I’ve seen plenty babies without pierced ears and I’ve never really batted an eyelash.

tf

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:17 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I waited 3 months on advice from my pediatrician. She said that the ears are still growing until about 3 months of age. The pediatrician herself did the piercing at her third month checkup. She cried for about a minute (she also got her vaccinations at the same time) , drank a bottle, went to sleep and didn’t complain about it since.

Baby’s ears (as anything else) grow until adulthood, not 3 months. Lol

tf

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:22 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I pierce as a newborn because it's SOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUTE! It's like when they yawn or sneeze and you melt because it's a tiny human doing big human things.
Although, I do hear that about wanting her to be excited for it. I got earrings when I was 3, and I was super pumped. What added to the excitement was being able to pick my own earrings! So I'm kinda glad my mother took me then instead of when I was a baby.

Even if ears are pierced as newborns, they outgrow the earrings just about when it’s age appropriate to “choose” their own. So I don’t see how waiting helps.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:26 pm
My parents made me wait for bas mitzvah and I always resented that. I did wait for it to be a treat for my first but by the time she asked it got dirty more easily and got infected and closed a couple times.
Did it for my next around three months and no issues since.

tf

Post Thu, Aug 15 2019, 10:26 pm
chicco wrote:
I don't do it because I respect the fact that it is not my body and not my choice. My child is also not a doll that needs to be "dressed up."

The argument about when it is more or less painful is amazing to me. There is no way to know. What I hear is how much the parent is inconvenienced by the procedure. In any event I believe that anyone who desperately wants her ears pierced will be willing to deal with the pain.

If it would be painful they would cry. Crying is a baby’s way of telling. Why wait until the baby “desperately wants” to the point of being “okay” to withstand pain?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics