Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fruit Platter

mc

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:29 am
How much in advance do you think I can make a fruit platter consisting of cantaloupe, honeydew melon, and grapes? I'd wrap it in plastic wrap and keep in fridge. Do you think I prepare it on Thursday afternoon for a party on Sunday?

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:32 am
I would say to cut the fruits but keep them in separate bags and assemble right before. But I'm no expert on fruit platters.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:43 am
No. Sorry.
Cut the fruit Motzi Shabbos at the earliest.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:46 am
You can prepare the grapes in advance, but I'm with amother above on the melon. It doesn't store very well once it is cut.

Jewishfoodie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:09 am
Nope. Night b4. They get soggy and not appetizing. Kudos on making a fruit platter! I always offer the veggie salad cuz I hate cutting the fruit!

mc

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:51 am
Okay, thanks for the advice :-)

mc

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 8:57 am
Related question - Do you think cut up veggie sticks (peppers, celery, cucumber...) can be prepared earlier than the night before?

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:16 am
I think the honey dew and cantelope can be partially prepared on Thursday, if you have enough refrigerator space and are willing to baby it. Cutting the melon in small chunks hastens its demise. But you can still wash and deseed and remove the rind and leave in large wedges in separate glass bowls covered with cling wrap until Sunday. On Sunday you can chunk it and arrange on the platter right before party time. Don't crowd the bowl--better a few smaller bowls for the melon (each kind in it own bowl) than one large bowl where too much liquid can pool. Drain the liquid from the bottom of the bowls periodically as well.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:18 am
mc wrote:
Related question - Do you think cut up veggie sticks (peppers, celery, cucumber...) can be prepared earlier than the night before?

If each vegetable is stored separately without touching. Airtight containers.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 9:34 am
I agree with BetsyTacy about peeling and coring the melons earlier. Just saran wrap each one well and keep separate.

headabovewater

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:51 pm
Thursday afternoon is probably too early. You could cut up each fruit and store separately in a collandar over a bowl in the fridge. That helps retain freshness. Good luck.

mc

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:06 pm
Thanks everyone!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics