Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Supermarkets near Fishkill zip 12524 with most kosher food?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:39 am
Has anyone traveled to the Fishkill/Poughkeepsie area in Dutchess county (zip 12524)? For reference, its 1 hour drive north of Monsey and 1 1/2 hour drive east of Woodbourne. They have a Shoprite, and Im hopeful, but the closest Trader Joe and Whole Foods are many miles away in Connecticut.

Which frozen vegetables at Shoprite have a hechsher?

Ill be there for 2-3 days. Ill have a stovetop.

I try to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and that you can buy all over. I dont eat dairy and I try to eat the less processed foods the better. No pasta and minimal bead.

What can I prepare in advance and freeze besides chicken breasts?

If anyone is familiar with this area, can you offer me any tips, for food and sites?

TIA

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:45 am
Price chopper and shop n stop in Poughkeepsie have some (limited) kosher food. You will not be able to find frozen heimish brand kosher veggies with hashgacha. You may be able to find some national frozen brands that don't require checking.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 10:07 pm
Contact the Hechts in in the Chabad of Rhinebeck. I know in Rhinebeck they recent got a kosher section with cold cuts etc etc in a big supermarket there.'
My son is a student at the Anderson Center for Autism in Staatsburg (20 mins north of poughkeepsie). Dutchess County is a real midbar when it comes to kosher food.
If you're going while summer camps are still in session, you can check with Camp Stolin in Highland, which is just over the bridge, what they have available.
There are quite a few Chabads in Poughkeepsie - at Vassar College, and I forget where else. Look up Chabad of Poughkeepsie and ask them where they get their food.
Kasho (Bedford Hills) and Nitra (Mount Kisco) are an hour south and they also have small grocery stores.
Good luck! I can't believe that someone is going to be in that area. I travel there monthly - I was there TODAY! to visit my son and it's a real hole-in-the-wall in the middle of nowhere.

esuss

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 11:28 pm
See how far it is from Monroe. May be Just across the river.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 12:01 am
Thanks all. I go to that general area every few years. Its a beautiful scenic area, with mansions and antique shops. Not exactly a midbar as far as beautiful nature.

I called nearby Chabads and there isnt much there as far as kosher food though. Im taking a lot with and relying on fresh produce, and its really a good place to wean myself off junk food for a few days. If I get really desperate for something, its less than an hour to Monroe and a little over an hour to Woodbourne.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all. I go to that general area every few years. Its a beautiful scenic area, with mansions and antique shops. Not exactly a midbar as far as beautiful nature.

I called nearby Chabads and there isnt much there as far as kosher food though. Im taking a lot with and relying on fresh produce, and its really a good place to wean myself off junk food for a few days. If I get really desperate for something, its less than an hour to Monroe and a little over an hour to Woodbourne.

Midbar as in no frum/kosher infrastructure.

I was in Staatsburg yesterday from Monticello, it took 1 1/2 hours.

Fishkill is only about 40 minutes from the Nitra community in Mt Kisco, less than 40 minutes from the Kasho community in Bedford Hills, and about the same amount of time to Monsey.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:15 pm
It's not great, but it's not a midbar. You can get national brand things with hashgacha. The supermarkets in Poughkeepsie will sell empire brand chicken etc. I've been in that area and survived on the local supermarkets. Anything like cy or heimish products or hashgacha needs to be bought in a larger frum community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics