Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathtub remodel options

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:07 pm
I am looking to redo a bathroom. The current tub is white but had some paint spilled on it and in general is just old looking. I know there are bathtub inserts, refinishing and of course totally replacing the tub. What are the pros and cons of both. Which would u do and why?

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:25 pm
I would be wary of the bathtub inserts but from what I have read about people who have used, they are not a great permanent solution because mold seems to grow underneath especially if it is a tub/shower combination.

The con of replacing a tub completely is the cost as it generally starts a steam roller in terms of other changes to the bathroom like flooring and also waterproofing.

What is the scope of your remodeling plans? I just finished a remodel which included gut remodels of my master bathroom and guest bathroom and I am super delighted with the end result as it is both more functional and more aesthetic.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:44 pm
Amarante wrote:
I would be wary of the bathtub inserts but from what I have read about people who have used, they are not a great permanent solution because mold seems to grow underneath especially if it is a tub/shower combination.

The con of replacing a tub completely is the cost as it generally starts a steam roller in terms of other changes to the bathroom like flooring and also waterproofing.

What is the scope of your remodeling plans? I just finished a remodel which included gut remodels of my master bathroom and guest bathroom and I am super delighted with the end result as it is both more functional and more aesthetic.

It’s basically a gut remodel but just cosmetics - no plumbing. Walls are brown panel with wall paper on top. I’m putting in drywall, painting, retiling wall and floor new toliet and vanity.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:47 pm
What about a reglaze? Do you like the shape of the tub?

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:55 pm
Well you are doing a gut remodel since most people don't change the position of the pipes when redoing a bathroom and I assume that is what you mean since you are obviously going to be changing faucets for the sinks :-).

Is this a tub/shower combination or is it just a tub and you have a separate shower. I ask because you don't mention a shower.

Really it comes down to your budget. If you have the money to do it, I would change the tub because you are changing the flooring and the tiles. Once you do that, you might as well do it right so that it all works together.

As I posted, I just finished a remodel of my bathrooms. I changed the tub/shower to a larger walk in shower which I LOVE!!!! And I had double sinks so I changed to one sink with a lower counter area "vanity" so I can sit while I do hair, makeup and other grooming which I also love. I don't need double sinks since I really only need to stand over a sink to wash my hands, face and brush my teeth :-).

I did a lot of research regarding stuff and spent a lot of time on the houzz forums which is where I learned the pitfalls of insert bathtub replacements - they are called "mold sandwiches" because the space between the old tub and new insert creates ideal growing conditions for mold. I don't have one but the people on that forum tend to be extremely knowledgeable about stuff so I would be cautious on that route - you can be penny wise and pound foolish as they say.

I am very lucky that I found a really talented and honest GC who hired skilled tradespeople because bathroom stuff really needs to be done correctly. There are so many horror stories in terms of baths and showers not being waterproofed properly.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 5:57 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
What about a reglaze? Do you like the shape of the tub?

Shape is fine for me. What exactly is a reglaze and how long does it last

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:00 pm
Reglazing is not a permanent solution - it's more of something a house flipper might do because they don't have to worry about three years down the road.

I did a search on houzz for threads asking about reglazing tubs so you can read for yourself

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....g-tub

https://www.houzz.com/discussi.....#n=12

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:01 pm
Amarante wrote:
Well you are doing a gut remodel since most people don't change the position of the pipes when redoing a bathroom and I assume that is what you mean since you are obviously going to be changing faucets for the sinks :-).

Is this a tub/shower combination or is it just a tub and you have a separate shower. I ask because you don't mention a shower.

Really it comes down to your budget. If you have the money to do it, I would change the tub because you are changing the flooring and the tiles. Once you do that, you might as well do it right so that it all works together.

As I posted, I just finished a remodel of my bathrooms. I changed the tub/shower to a larger walk in shower which I LOVE!!!! And I had double sinks so I changed to one sink with a lower counter area "vanity" so I can sit while I do hair, makeup and other grooming which I also love. I don't need double sinks since I really only need to stand over a sink to wash my hands, face and brush my teeth :-).

I did a lot of research regarding stuff and spent a lot of time on the houzz forums which is where I learned the pitfalls of insert bathtub replacements - they are called "mold sandwiches" because the space between the old tub and new insert creates ideal growing conditions for mold. I don't have one but the people on that forum tend to be extremely knowledgeable about stuff so I would be cautious on that route - you can be penny wise and pound foolish as they say.

I am very lucky that I found a really talented and honest GC who hired skilled tradespeople because bathroom stuff really needs to be done correctly. There are so many horror stories in terms of baths and showers not being waterproofed properly.

Yes it’s a bath shower combo. My regular handyman can do all the work for a few thousand dollars. Once I start with replacing the tub it’s taking this project to a whole new level. There is an expression “a poor man pays twice” I don’t want to be cheap on the tub and regret it later. I don’t have 10k to put into this bathroom now.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:04 pm
Is your tub shower combo the all in one kind or does it have tile on the walls above the actual tub?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:22 pm
Tub insert is a ttly fine choice. We have done it in two bathrooms and don't know of any mold. Very fresh clean look for fraction of price.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 6:57 pm
Reglazing works great if you find the right reglazer. We reglazed a tub about 10 years ago, and it still looks great. I have no idea what we paid.

I priced this for someone a year ago. It was, I think, $75. The reglazer came well recommended and was dirt cheap. The articles in Houzz give mixed reveiws.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 7:42 pm
Amarante wrote:
Is your tub shower combo the all in one kind or does it have tile on the walls above the actual tub?

My house was built in the 50’s. Im positive this tub came with the house. It’s a standard bathtub with a shower head on the wall. There is tile from the top of the bath till say a
Foot below the ceiling.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics