Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
What can you do with a Math degree?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:49 am

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:49 am
Teach math Smile

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:01 am
Accounting obviously. Keep in mind there are various specialties within accounting, ex. corporate, fiduciary, forensic, calculating companies' debt capacity, etc.

Computer programming needs math, as does any type of engineering.

Marketing needs people who are able to crunch numbers. Data mining is probably one of the hottest fields right now and can be used in many different areas, including marketing.

Can't believe that I just wrote this post since I can barely add 2 + 2! Smile

nchr

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:02 am
Not very much. It is one of the worst degrees if you just have a bachelors. With a phd you can do a lot more.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:04 am
You cannot become an accountant with a math degree alone unless you took the accounting classes.

I'm asking myself the same question. The biggest answers are actuary, software development, and data analytics. If you're going to do actuary, you need to take classes geared for the exams. If you're going to do software development, you need to take the computer science classes. If you're going to do data analytics, it's a good idea to minor in finance or business.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:09 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
You cannot become an accountant with a math degree alone unless you took the accounting classes.

I'm asking myself the same question. The biggest answers are actuary, software development, and data analytics. If you're going to do actuary, you need to take classes geared for the exams. If you're going to do software development, you need to take the computer science classes. If you're going to do data analytics, it's a good idea to minor in finance or business.

Right you would need to take the prereqs but yes can definitely work in accounting with just a bachelor's. A friend is working as an economist for1 of the major accounting firms, with just a BA, math major. My guess is she's earning around $100,000 per year, starting

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:27 am
Actuary - know a few
The classes and exams are taken over years.
I have a friend working for NY life and they pay for studying and tests.
Great salary.

Go onto PhD - know one drum women. Seems to make a great living with amazing flex time.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:28 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Right you would need to take the prereqs but yes can definitely work in accounting with just a bachelor's. A friend is working as an economist for1 of the major accounting firms, with just a BA, math major. My guess is she's earning around $100,000 per year, starting

You can get an accounting job with a liberal arts degree as well.

You can't sit for the CPA without accounting classes however.

And accounting is not related to math.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:29 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:

Can you e-mail me at brachasilverstein@gmail.com with your friend's info? I'm a math major and have been exploring a career change.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:51 am
You can calculate all the money you owe in student loans

provent

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:52 am
hodeez wrote:
You can calculate all the money you owe in student loans

Very Happy Very Happy

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 11:55 am
I remember reading this last year https://mishpacha.com/make-it-.....math/ If you email Mishpacha I bet they would send you the rest of the article

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:37 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
You can get an accounting job with a liberal arts degree as well.

You can't sit for the CPA without accounting classes however.

And accounting is not related to math.

Ok. Accounting firms do more than prepare tax returns. And yes, of course very heavily math-related.

My friend, who majored in applied mathematics but has no post-graduate degrees and is NOT an accountant or a CPA, is working for 1 of the major accounting firms. She's considered an economist I believe. Her position utilizes her math major, and her major was the only way she was able to get this job. She does debt capacity calculations for companies that need this info prior to taking on new investments. The companies are clients of the accounting firm.

Hth.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:38 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Can you e-mail me at brachasilverstein@gmail.com with your friend's info? I'm a math major and have been exploring a career change.

Are you looking to transition to something that does or does not utilize your major?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:48 pm
Math is a wonderful foundation for logic. You could be a tax attorney. You don't need a math degree, but having a feel for math puts you at an advantage.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:56 pm
Data Science.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:11 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Ok. Accounting firms do more than prepare tax returns. And yes, of course very heavily math-related.

My friend, who majored in applied mathematics but has no post-graduate degrees and is NOT an accountant or a CPA, is working for 1 of the major accounting firms. She's considered an economist I believe. Her position utilizes her math major, and her major was the only way she was able to get this job. She does debt capacity calculations for companies that need this info prior to taking on new investments. The companies are clients of the accounting firm.

Hth.

Accounting firms hire - especially the big ones - offer many services that are not accounting. Working for a big 4 does not necessarily mean you are an accountant.

Accounting - typical CPA accounting - is not heavy in math.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My daughter is in a joint bachelor of math and bachelor of business administration. Truth be told, she has discovered that she loves programming but in all, no one cares of you have a B math/B ENG/B comp sci if you know how to programme.

The reason we strongly suggested to her that she take this 5 year, 60 month, co-op programme because she didn’t want to teach and while she would have loved a PhD, she didn’t want the ivory tower.

She really just wanted to do math all day long but we thought it might not be so useful in itself.

Gerbera

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 7:02 pm
My husband has a degree in math and is an actuary.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:57 pm
Finance
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries