Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kids are moody- normal?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 1:21 pm
I noticed in recent months my older kids (age 7, 9) are kvetchy/ moody at some point during the day. They sleep enough, get good nutrition etc.
they are overall well behaved kids, in school have top marks for middot, behavior etc.
So is it normal for them to get moody on an almost daily basis?
I don’t know if it’s normal being home with no routine for summer break.
Also- I’m approaching my 9th month of a physically challenging pregnancy and have a toddler so they are stuck at home for nap time
Normal?
Advice?

Aylat

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 1:42 pm
Sounds normal to me.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:43 pm
Define moody

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:19 pm
If you’re talking about after school/camp and before supper, that’s the Witching Hour when everyone gets a little...touchy, shall we say?It’s hunger, fatigue, letdown from the excitement of the day, and residual accumulated irritations of the day, and reaction to a mom who is dealing with her own additional pressures ( winding up activities of the day plus getting dinner ready plus listening to all the kids’ chatter plus planning the evening chores and so on). Totally normal.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:28 pm
I

Ideas? 1. Rearrange your day so you’re relatively free during the Witching Hour or 2. Hire someone to either look after the kids or attack the chores or dinner prep. 3. Have an assortment of special activities or treats that you bring out just for the Witching Hour.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:43 pm
Describe the moods- I.e. picking petty little fights with each other. If I ask them to clean up their toys they whine, complain- occasionally throwing their bodies to the floor.

Re: witching hour- I agree it’s a thing. Best preempted by an early dinner. Not relevant here. Moods are striking at any time of day.

Moodiness mostly strikes on the days they are home (shabbos) or now that camp is over and school doesn’t start for a couple weeks.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Describe the moods- I.e. picking petty little fights with each other. If I ask them to clean up their toys they whine, complain- occasionally throwing their bodies to the floor.

Re: witching hour- I agree it’s a thing. Best preempted by an early dinner. Not relevant here. Moods are striking at any time of day.

Moodiness mostly strikes on the days they are home (shabbos) or now that camp is over and school doesn’t start for a couple weeks.

Yeah, some of it is boredom. All of it is normal.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:01 pm
Sounds like boredom and it's normal

dankbar

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:27 pm
heat + boredom. normal behavior. they are still a work in progress

dankbar

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:28 pm
Make sure they have what to do, are not out in heat too much. drink enough. eat well. Only respond when things are asked politely.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:29 pm
Can they get together with friends while your baby naps?

pizza4

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 6:30 pm
They're bored. Maybe even anxious and excited about going back to school. Nerves.
The minute my kids start behaving like that I give them an activity, something to do.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:13 pm
Is it possible you have a mold issue in your home?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 8:38 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Is it possible you have a mold issue in your home?

Hmmm... unlikely since it was just built.
Just moldy challah sometimes ;-)

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 4:05 pm
No structure, heat, boredom = cranky kids. Totally normal.

Do you have a yard with a sprinkler? Send them outside to play in it.

Otherwise, have crafts ready. If you allow screen time, then allow one video (of your choice). Popsicles!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics