Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Warming up frozen food for simcha

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 2:56 pm
I will have frozen 9x13 pans of chicken and meat. The hall has a warmer. What's the best method to heat up food and how long will it need?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 2:57 pm
Let it defrost overnight on the counter, then warm it up in the oven. Make sure it's covered very well. When it's hot, place it in the warmers.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 3:39 pm
Do you think the oven is needed? I will have to transport all the food to the hall, if it's hot I have to worry about it all leaking. Is the warmer for several hours sufficient to heat it?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:16 pm
[quote="amother [ Mistyrose ]"]Let it defrost overnight on the counter, then warm it up in the oven. Make sure it's covered very well. When it's hot, place it in the warmers [/quote]

I'm concerned about leaving it out overnight, especially in the summer. What about refrigerating overnight? Or - especially for potato kugel - putting straight into a hot oven?

OutATowner

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 4:20 pm
A warmer generally keeps things hot once hot, but it's not enough to warm up cold food. If it was that strong it would probably dry the food out.
I would call the hall and ask them. I'm sure they've done this before, and they know their particular warmer.
Mazel tov!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:24 pm
Most halls have an oven too. It is definitely not enough to use warmers, even for a few hours to warm food. How far do you have to travel to hall? After it is hot in your oven, wrap well in silver foil and place in boxes so it wont leak. Hatzlocha, and don't forget to fully defrost before warming.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:26 pm
It's totally ok to let the food defrost overnight. It's still cold after 8 hours. Warmers will not warm up the food, it keeps hot food hot. You must warm it in the oven before.

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 20 2019, 5:39 pm
I would not defrost chicken or meat anywhere except in a fridge. This is basic food safet. why don’t you make one pan and try this out at home and see if you like the results?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics