Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tips for making life with kids easier
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Aish

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 8:09 pm
[quote="uandme"]
Quote:
about the books and tapes
so far the only ones I've noticed were 'the wheat kernel' we had, but broke (good book tho) and parsha tapes on Beraishis.

these are books with tapes? and can I get them in any judaica shop?

Quote:
I haven't found any other 'read-along' type tapes with jewish books.
but we really enjoy the 'zaidy' tapes which have stories and music (no book)

whats the exact name if I want to buy them?
Quote:
also, menucha fuchs has some wonderful tapes which are similar but not exactly same in content as some of her young chapter books. some of the titles of the listening tapes are:
shabbos queen
friendship
little scientists

they are really good and teach good middos and illuminate a healthy variety of emotion and navigating social skills, etc

these are songs and stories?

daisy

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 8:19 pm
my SIL makes her own Jewish books on tape.

Aish

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 9:00 pm
daisy wrote:
my SIL makes her own Jewish books on tape.

thats a great idea! thanks for sharing. ill just do it myself.

lucy

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 11:06 pm
uandme wrote:
about the books and tapes
so far the only ones I've noticed were 'the wheat kernel' we had, but broke (good book tho) .

Who is the author, I would like to see it but never saw that book title?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 4:06 am
Actually - bubbles are easy to make yourself. You can have fun making them with the kids (detergent and water) and then blowing them as well!

The Rabbi Burston tapes are great as well. And there are hundreds of them by now. I haven't yet met a kid who didnt like them.

There is also the tape, 'the royal rescue' which is gr8 for kids.

queen

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 9:37 am
Story Tyme tapes by Rabbi Juravel, entertain kids for hours......

uandme

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 11:05 pm
wheat kernel I believe is by fingerer.
yes recording them yourself is very fun, and the kids make the background noises, or memorize the book and say it themselves, take turns, etc.. they really enjoy. we've done that also with our own made up stories, etc.

wedding bubbles-they have them at party city, and sometimes dollar stores. they are super tiny bottles, with the blowing wand attached to the cap. they are about the size of a bottle of nail polish. you can sometimes find them in a pack at the dollar store in the kid b-day aisle or in the goody-bag/party decoration aisle. once you have 1 or 2 you can keep refilling them (they go a long way anyways).

chochma73

Post Sat, Sep 03 2005, 9:55 pm
let your kids (over 2) help you fold laundry. I let my oldest fold her shirts and t'shirts and she has been doing it since she was two. She loves it because she is helping mommy and I love it because then she is not making a mess of all the clothes I have just folded.

Ditto on landsend - I love shopping there, the clothes are great and in overstock for very good prices.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:05 pm
Quote:
when taking long car trips, whenever we stop at a reststop I take some of those free brochures they have tons of pics of water scenes, boats, planes, flowers, horses, trains and my kids love to look at them. I hand out the papers one by one and it keeps them occupied for at least a half hour.

Yael, Thanks for this great tip!! We went on a family trip this past weekend, and those brochures really kept SZ occupied.

leahj

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:51 pm
I spent one rainy Sunday videotaping the kids - I told the oldest 5, that he could do a show, sing, etc. He got the other ones excited - setting up, planning, coloring, etc, now I put it in whenever I need some time - they love watching themselves! It is about a 1/2 hour tape.

I give my kids masking tape (easy to rip) and any household items - toilet paper rolls, empty graham craker boxes. popsicle sticks, misc. craft supplies - they love it and no glue mess.

Before I take my kids anywhere, grocery store, playground, etc. we have a rule routine in the car - I sound like a drill sergeant but they think it is fun it kinda goes like this..

Are you ready! YES

Who want to go to the Park? ME

What are the rules? YOU HAVE TO LISTEN

If we listen we... GET TO GO AGAIN

When Mommy says it is time to go..... IT IS TIME TO GO

When Mommy says no the answer is.....NO

Are we ready! YES

I can't hear you! YES

They get all excited and I am sure to remind them when we get back in the car what they did/didn't do well - but always end on the positive (Find something if you must and it will get better next time)

I also occassionally bribe (small piece of gum) or popsicle when we get home.

If I have to take all grocery shopping I have 9 month old in front, 2 1/2 yold in back. 4 and 5 year old walking and helping put in my cart.

deedee

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:54 pm
Quote:
Before I take my kids anywhere, grocery store, playground, etc. we have a rule routine in the car - I sound like a drill sergeant but they think it is fun it kinda goes like this..

Are you ready! YES

Who want to go to the Park? ME

What are the rules? YOU HAVE TO LISTEN

If we listen we... GET TO GO AGAIN

When Mommy says it is time to go..... IT IS TIME TO GO

When Mommy says no the answer is.....NO

Are we ready! YES

I can't hear you! YES

They get all excited and I am sure to remind them when we get back in the car what they did/didn't do well - but always end on the positive (Find something if you must and it will get better next time)

thats cool! sounds like u got it all under control Very Happy

uandme

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 9:15 pm
thanks for sharing the drill sargeant routine. it sounds very cute, effective, and fun!

lucy

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 8:53 pm
lisaj: kol hakavod to you, must give you credit that is pretty couragous to take all four of them with you food shopping!!!!

RedVines

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:15 pm
I dont know if this should be a seperate thread or not...But what are ways to make your whole day with your children fulfilling, fun, an all around great day?

** I ask this because if I am home with my kids all day I find that by 3/4:00 is such an in betwwen time, that I find myself waiting to make dinner, bored than I start counting the hours till bedtime, I don want to do that but I find that it just happens after being up since 7 a.m**

Any tips/suggestions

Aish

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:39 pm
mommyof2, I go through the SAME THING!
its crazy.
you not alone Very Happy

cr2005

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 12:47 pm
aish and mommyof2 im with you too. That hour is always a tuff one. I have found that its the best time to go for a drive......go for a walk. Usually at that our the kids are slowing down a bit and don't mind going in the stroller and just relaxing( btw my kids are 3 and 1) and its great to get out you feel alive and not so drained, tired.

RedVines

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 1:07 pm
mine are 3 and 1 too....the only thing with taking a drive is the possibility of a nap then they wont go to bed by 7:30/8...hmmm, I like the walk idea, or mayba a park..it is just so hot here.

leahj

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 1:23 pm
I agree - I call it the witching hours. Sometimes a small snack helps. Or a soothing/calming activity like coloring. I may just give an early bath too and just let them sit/play in the tub for a while.

Aish

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 1:36 pm
mommyoftwo wrote:
mine are 3 and 1 too....the only thing with taking a drive is the possibility of a nap then they wont go to bed by 7:30/8...hmmm, I like the walk idea, or mayba a park..it is just so hot here.

I know. I cant risk them going to sleep cause I pay the price later when they don't want to go to bed!
my babys are that age, and in between that age, and older!

shira

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 2:15 pm
Mine are 3 and 1 too. We usually head out to the park across the street at that time for some running around. I like to meet a friend there so that we can chill while the kids play in the grass/park. It gives us the necessary boost to handle dinner, bath, and bed.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics