Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tips for making life with kids easier
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

stem

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 2:35 pm
This is funny, I once read an article in a Jewish magazine about a mother who hung a laundry line across her livingroom and hung up her kids pajamas every morning... she said every time she would see all those PJs hanging there it would remind her that bedtime is coming and give her the strength to go on!

I was like 15 when I read that and thought all these women write articles kvetching about kids and laundry are so weird. I promised myself I'd never be one of them...

stem

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 2:38 pm
About those last few hours of the day: we call them "the happy hours" because they are usually exactly the opposite. Kids and parents are getting tired and hungry. I try to use that time take them outside for a little walk, or bike riding. If they are too tired, I set them up with a tape on the couch. Once supper starts, it starts a routine which leads straight to bed: supper-bath-brushing teeth-read books-bed.

Aish

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 4:20 pm
so I just followed all the advice here. I picked up the last kid to be picked up at 1/4 3pm. I said,"were all going to the park". we went , had a good time. and I dont have a watch. I though "great, I tired the kids out. home and straight to dinner. I get home and its 4:00 pm!!!!
WHAT shock
I thought for sure 2 hours passed.
WHY DOES THE TIME GO BY SO SLOW Shaking

Milk Munch

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 6:07 pm
I'm in the same boat here (mine are 2 and 4 yrs.)
When they start getting really kvetchie and fighting, I find the best thing to do is either sit down and read a bunch of books with them, or to get down on the floor and play with them- something stimulating to keep thier attention for a bit and make them exert some mental energy. I always find it amazing that I can take them from grouchy and fighting to playing happily with just a few minutes of focused attention.

miriam

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 8:09 pm
Milk Munch, I agree with you. I also love tickling them when they are acting.... uhm... not their ususal selves. I take both of them on my bed for a big tickle fight.

baby's mom

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 8:17 pm
This is a tip to make life easier with or without kids: I keep a pad on my refrigerator and every time I see that I am missing an ingredient or remember that I need to get something I put it on the list.
When I need to go to the store I dont have to sit and think of what I need, cause the list is ready to go!

uandme

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 8:32 pm
I agree w/milk munch. focused attention can often dissolve some of the difficulty; tho it's hard to give, b/c that's when u are cooking, cleaning up, etc.
(and/but that is sometimes why they start getting kvetchy in the first place b/c they notice the change in attention...my stress/time crunch level rising... vicious cycle.....)
reading; physical activity, listening tapes,etc. a snack of fruit; those all help a lot

cr2005

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 10:14 pm
another thing I do with my kids is dance we put on some music and we go at it, they love it. Its amazing how alive we all feel everytime we do it. Its gets the mood happy again.......no more kvetching..........
We do it for a couple of minutes.......and then they go about playing with whatever it is.

Tefila

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 10:21 pm
Quote:
This is a tip to make life easier with or without kids: I keep a pad on my refrigerator and every time I see that I am missing an ingredient or remember that I need to get something I put it on the list.

Ditto 8)

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 2:48 pm
cr2005 wrote:
another thing I do with my kids is dance we put on some music and we go at it, they love it. Its amazing how alive we all feel everytime we do it. Its gets the mood happy again.......no more kvetching..........
We do it for a couple of minutes.......and then they go about playing with whatever it is.

I did that the other day, when I was in a bad mood and my dd was kvetchy. it only took a few minutes and by then even my 6 1/2 month old was laughing!

mommy2

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 3:10 pm
plan a months suppers, then every month just start again, I just started this and it helps bc when I go shopping I know what ill need for next weeks supper.

queen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 3:16 pm
mommy2 wrote:
plan a months suppers

or even just ONE week in advance! Go shopping on sunday, making sure you have all ingredients for the week.

stem

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 3:37 pm
I try to plan a week's suppers and shop once a week. I used to shop on sundays, but then found that I always had to go shopping again by wednesday/thursday for shabbos ingredients.

Now I plan the week's suppers, starting from Thursday's supper and I go shopping wednesday evening for Shabbos ingredients and for the rest of the week till the following wednesday.

Aish

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 3:50 pm
about shopping for the week, how does your produce last that long?
mine don't.
its all gone withing a couple days. and unless I buy case loads of certain fruits and veggies, I have to go to the market again a few days later.

queen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 4:10 pm
oh stem... that's not a bad idea to shop thursday for shabbos, and through the rest of the week......

we shop sunday, focusing on the week....
and then again on Wed. night JUST for shabbos stuff. (bec. it depends on whether we're eating home/invited out or having company)

Tefila

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 5:52 pm
Quote:
or even just ONE week in advance! Go shopping on sunday, making sure you have all ingredients for the week
Ditto again Very Happy

stem

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 6:09 pm
queen, that's exactly what I used to do. I love my new schedule, I make a huge shopping once a week. I also noticed that this schedule saves us money, too.
Wink

queen

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 6:29 pm
stem- less opportunity for impulse buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cr2005

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 7:43 pm
I usually go shopping thursday for the week. I always end up going back...my kids love it,I make an activity out of it. My younger holder grocerys and my older helping taking things off the shelf, she feels great to be helping mommy. I always need to go back...but thats life....I find it doesn't matter what day of the week I shop.

Milk Munch

Post Mon, Sep 12 2005, 9:28 pm
We stock up on pantry items and meat once or twice a month and then basically we just shop for produce. It makes for much shorter shopping trips that don't turn into nightmares. Also, I found a farmers market nearby, its actually a little market on the farm itself. My kids love going there and seeing the tractors and cats and dogs. They are also much cheaper than the supermarket.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics