Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does a badatz hechsher mean it's cholov yisroel?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:15 pm
I bought chocolate from the store for a recipe. I needed to buy CY chocolate, so I grabbed an Israeli brand without thinking, assuming it would be CY. Came home and it just says chalavi, but the hechsher is badatz.

Isn't that a strict hechsher? Does that by any chance mean it's CY? I would love to assume so but then wouldn't it say CY somewhere on the package? The brand is Carmit if that matters.

Thanks!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:17 pm
There are many different badatz hechsherim, but as far as I know, all insist on chalav yisrael.

ETA: in Israel, the default is chalav yisrael. If a rabbanut product contains chalav nochri or avkat chalav nochri, that's specified. The rabbanut does not give a hechsher to products made with liquid chalav nochri, though they will give to products with milk powder or reconstituted milk. But again, that will be on the label.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:27 pm
Okay thank you! It's the badatz yerushalayim eida chareidis. Which I would assume, like you said, would only give a hechsher to CY products but in the US it's always labeled as such.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:31 pm
The eida chareidis is a very good heksher, with extremely high standards. You can be sure that it is CY.

The frummest, pickiest charedim I know accept eida chareidis, when they won't accept other heksherim that are also very strict.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:33 pm
In the US things are labeled chalav yisrael because that is the exception. In Israel, products are labeled chalav nochri because the default is chalav yisrael.

Similarly, Israeli products are all yoshon, because chadash is not kosher in Israel. All wheat products with a hechsher in Israel are yoshon. Outside of Israel, a product is labeled yoshon because you can't assume that to be the case.

Happy baking! Hope the food comes out good.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 12:46 pm
Thanks all! This was really helpful!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen