Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Telling my kids not to drink from my drink bottles
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 6:54 pm
Hi!
I just want to get other opinions if I am being reasonable or not...
I bought myself a big drink bottle to encourage myself to drink more. (I bought my kids same one in small) anyway I usually fill it up and sit on the couch with it (to hopefully drink it)
My kids always come up to me and want a drink it just start drinking from it. And I get upset, I like tracking how much I'm drinking and keeping it clean.

My kids give me this sad face, and I feel bad but I honestly think this is a normal request that mommy has her drink bottle and no one drinks from it
What are your thoughts?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:08 pm
I have the same problem. I don’t let them drink from it. I will get them a cup of whatever they want, but my water bottle is off limits.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:08 pm
It's not unreasonable, but if it's not working, get another, or a family water cooler.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:10 pm
It's a great opportunity to establish good water drinking habits. Buy small ones for them and keep them accessible in the fridge.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:13 pm
I don't share my drinks with my kids. They all have their own bottles that are accessible to them and they can always take cups. Maybe when you fill yours fill theirs also and have it next to you so when they ask for a drink you can just hand it to them. How old are they?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:15 pm
In my family we all have our own reusable water bottles. Of course it's not unreasonable to expect each person to use their own! Tell them you love them and you don't want them to get sick, which could happen when you share cups.

emmes

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:30 pm
Lol I'm the same. I use disposable water bottles and no one can have from mine. It's funny that I can share anything, kick there had cream and food they bit into, but this I can't share. It grosses me out. And I need to keep track of my water intake.
But if we're out of cups or not home or just sometimes, I'll be ok sharing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
I don't share my drinks with my kids. They all have their own bottles that are accessible to them and they can always take cups. Maybe when you fill yours fill theirs also and have it next to you so when they ask for a drink you can just hand it to them. How old are they?

Yes.. Great idea, so I'll just fill mine up and 3 more then sit lol!
They are 8,5 and 3

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:32 pm
emmes wrote:
Lol I'm the same. I use disposable water bottles and no one can have from mine. It's funny that I can share anything, kick there had cream and food they bit into, but this I can't share. It grosses me out. And I need to keep track of my water intake.

It doesn't gross me out, just I like keeping track of how much I drink

emmes

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It doesn't gross me out, just I like keeping track of how much I drink

In imagining that they breath into the bottle or spit some water back

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:43 pm
emmes wrote:

It has a straw! And they my kids!!!

emmes

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It has a straw! And they my kids!!!

Yea a straw sounds better. I know I sound silly, but it's something I am particular about. Yes there my kids and won't think twice to share my bottle with them if there isn't anything else, but first choice is separate ones.

cookiewriter

Post Wed, Aug 21 2019, 7:59 pm
I have the same thing I track my water and I always feel guilty because Somehow everyone in house loves to drink from it- husbands kids lol.
I always tell them my throat is hurting or I’m trying to keep track of my water but I feel selfish about it

essie14

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 1:03 am
My DD is 2. She has her own really nice water bottle which she loves but if Ima is drinking DD wants whatever I am drinking out of, no matter what. I fill up both our water bottles at the same time but if mine is visible she won't drink from hers. I have given up....

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:11 am
emmes wrote:

I am so so happy to hear that I sm not the only one. I love my children and can share anything with them but not the drinking bottle. But in my family they just think its crazy that it grosses me out! Although they agree that we shouldnt share

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:11 am
emmes wrote:
EXACTLY

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:22 am
If it is germ related that you don't want to share, then make that clear that sharing drinks is not good (but need to be consistent-like if they have a yummy drink don't steal a sip, or finish their cup before putting it in the sink). If you are on Dialysis or have CHF and need to carefully limit/monitor your fluid intake, then educate them and make it clear. If you just want to "track " your fluids, and it is arbitrary because you want to and because it is yours, then you sound like my teenager.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi!
I just want to get other opinions if I am being reasonable or not...
I bought myself a big drink bottle to encourage myself to drink more. (I bought my kids same one in small) anyway I usually fill it up and sit on the couch with it (to hopefully drink it)
My kids always come up to me and want a drink it just start drinking from it. And I get upset, I like tracking how much I'm drinking and keeping it clean.

My kids give me this sad face, and I feel bad but I honestly think this is a normal request that mommy has her drink bottle and no one drinks from it
What are your thoughts?

If you're in a hot park and you have water and they don't and you aren't sharing then you're a mean mom.

Sitting at home on the couch? Are you kidding? How far is it for them to get their own water? Of course you are being reasonable!!!

Wife1

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 10:53 am
I had the same thing I kept on repeating that it's mine and they learnt. Though if I'm in the park or something and there is no other water it's a special treat to drink from mommys water 😀

Chayalle

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 11:08 am
Same issue in my house, OP. I have a water bottle - DD drinks from it. She also helps herself to my coffee - from right under my nose - every morning.

I gotta teach her some respect. I need to consistently put my foot down, but....for some reason, her look on her face gets me every time...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics