Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Catering from home

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 12:09 pm
I've heard of people running catering businesses from their homes, and I'm so curious how this works kashrus wise. Do they have a hechsher? Are their clientele people who know them and trust their kashrus? Are there doh guidelines that they need to follow?

Also curious about the working from home aspect. I'd guess that work at home mother's, also need to make work hours and get babysitters? Are there some moms who work around their children's nap/bedtime schedules? If yes, how do you fit it all in?

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 3:02 pm
I have friends who have done this. One never got kashrus supervision. Her business never really took off. She gets busy Yom Tov time. People will order kugels and fillers from her. The occasional big job of a full Shabbos but I don’t think she’s ever done a really big job.
My other friend started out small but took leaps. First she put in a kitchen in her garage which was important for her family. A while after that she went for kashrus supervision. She had to give a key to the supervising organization which she would not have been able to do if the business was still in her house.
Her business has really grown and she works VERY hard. She’s hired more staff.
Both of my friends have single kids but no babies which makes a huge difference.

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:05 pm
Where I live, it's illegal. One gal does cakes and used to work from a commercial kitchen but she moved to a home where she could put a commercial kitchen as a second kitchen so as far as I know she has a hecksher because she's legal.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 22 2019, 4:25 pm
The two people in my community I know do this usually rent out the shul kitchen once a week for a whole day and cook there with a mashgiach present. They only do Shabbos food, or for a special event like a bar mitzvah, kiddush, pesach... so it works for them to only need a specific day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:05 pm
So what I'm gathering is that to be kosher certified, and legal they need to have a separate kitchen, so some have a separate kitchen in their house, some rent. Sounding complicated Very Happy

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 1:49 pm
A friend who was considering this was told that for kashrus she needed a separate kitchen. Which is great if you have room and budget, and your jurisdiction is friendly to home businesses like this. Also make sure your insurance covers a commercial kitchen in your home.

If you're just looking for a "pin money" sort of business, there are plenty of women baking challahs, cakes, or kugels from home without a formal hechsher.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 2:45 pm
I have several friends who have unsuccessfully tried to do this. In all cases, they were limited to close friends because no one else would buy without a hechsher.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 4:28 pm
There is something called a cottage food license and it is a way to legally make certain food products for sale out of your home. Every state has this besides New Jersey. It doesn't cover full catering as far as I know. I bake, legally in my home to sell. Different states have different requirements for this license.

Kashrus wise I have a hechsher as well but your requirements will vary based on certification and locale. A relative of mine put in a small separate kitchen just for her baking business and I am in the process of setting up a larger dedicated space in my own home as I have outgrown my kitchen. I am not using official commercial equipment as a) I can't get the electrical service I would need for that and b) that would void my cottage food license

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, Aug 23 2019, 4:31 pm
I don't know anyone could do full catering from a home kitchen with the cottage thing. I think that's very basic baked goods wrapped and labelled in a particular fashion. I could be wrong. Basing my thoughts on things I read years ago.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers