Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does your DH know when its Rosh Chodesh Bentching and tell ?
1  2  3  4  Next

Does your DH know and tell you when its Rosh Chodesh Bentching ?
Yes, he tells me, possibly to remind me to say Rosh Chodesh Bentching.  
 58%  [ 67 ]
No, he either doesnt know or if he knows, doesnt feel the need to tell me.  
 41%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 114

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:13 pm
I asked DH if it was Rosh Chodesh Bentching today and he said no, he didnt hear it in Shul today. He didnt know before going to Shul (or after). He figured out that he must have gone to the bathroom in those few minutes.

For some background information, DH learns well and gives Shiurim sometimes.

How unique is it for a man not to know when its Rosh Chodesh bentching?

Does your DH know when its Rosh Chodesh Bentching, and tell you?

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:29 pm
He knows and sometimes forgets to tell me. Today he remembered Smile

I can really figure it out myself because I have a Hebrew-English calendar.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:30 pm
Easier if you just check the calendar.

pesek zman

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:31 pm
Mine doesn’t need to tell me and frankly neither should yours! Look at your shul calendar or shul announcements or any calendar.

But yes mine does know for the same reason I do: we look at a calendar or do some simple counting

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:34 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Easier if you just check the calendar.

How often do you check the calendar? Every Friday? Because even if you check the calendar in the beginning of the week, you may not remember on Shabbos.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How often do you check the calendar? Every Friday? Because even if you check the calendar in the beginning of the week, you may not remember on Shabbos.

I check the calendar quite often. And if r"ch is coming up I try to make a mental note. If you try to remember it will eventually become easier for you.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:57 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I check the calendar quite often. And if r"ch is coming up I try to make a mental note. If you try to remember it will eventually become easier for you.

Interesting that many here check their calendars regularly.

I guess DH and I are a match made in heaven, because neither of us checks the calendar unless we have a specific reason, like planning something way in advance.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I guess DH and I are a match made in heaven, because neither of us checks the calendar unless we have a specific reason, like planning something way in advance.

What stage of life are you in?
I need to make frequent appointments, and every few months I need to start thinking about prepping for yom tov... between the two, I'm checking often!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:16 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
What stage of life are you in?
I need to make frequent appointments, and every few months I need to start thinking about prepping for yom tov... between the two, I'm checking often!

Im older but I never looked for Rosh Chodesh bentching when I checked the calendar for kids appointments. When checking for appointments, its weekdays.

acemom

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:23 pm
We have a calendar listing candle lighting times for each week. It usually indicates if there will be a Rosh Chodesh the following week.

Otherwise, I check my wall calendar often enough throughout the month so I usually know.

I tend to forget about benching Rosh Chodesh though.

Last edited by acemom on Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lavender

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:23 pm
My dh wouldn't necessarily know, but if your dh "learns and gives shiurim", I think it's very strange he doesn't know when rosh chodesh benching.

simba

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’m generally aware of the Hebrew time of month but I check it every week to see the candle lighting times for shabbos so I would notice it then.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im older but I never looked for Rosh Chodesh bentching when I checked the calendar for kids appointments. When checking for appointments, its weekdays.

Yes but I see Rosh Chodesh (it's prominently written). And benching is the shabbos before.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:49 pm
I guess I sort of envy those of you who are able to somehow function without looking at your calendars constantly.
We're both aware of rosh chodesh. Hard not to be when you're always consulting the calendar multiple times per day.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:51 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I guess I sort of envy those of you who are able to somehow function without looking at your calendars constantly.
We're both aware of rosh chodesh. Hard not to be when you're always consulting the calendar multiple times per day.

If youre talking about Nida, please remind me why I'd need a calendar. If I know I made a Hefsek on a certain day, I know I go to the Mikva same day of the week, a week later.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:55 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My dh wouldn't necessarily know, but if your dh "learns and gives shiurim", I think it's very strange he doesn't know when rosh chodesh benching.

Me too, even though Im not sure why Shiurim and a Hebrew calendar, go together.

He uses his non Jewish calendar that may be marked with Jewish Holidays (but not Rosh Chodesh) for scheduling purposes, many many times a day at work, as a professional.

shirachadasha

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 10:55 pm
DH usually forgets to tell me.
I get the weekly email in memory if Rabbi Zlotowitz that has useful reminders like Shabbos mevorchim, Rosh chodesh, etc.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If youre talking about Nida, please remind me why I'd need a calendar. If I know I made a Hefsek on a certain day, I know I go to the Mikva same day of the week, a week later.

Yes, but how do you keep track of vestos?

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Nida? Huh? No, I'm talking about appointments, meetings, plans, classes, trips, etc. You know, life.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 24 2019, 11:07 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Nida? Huh? No, I'm talking about appointments, meetings, plans, classes, trips, etc. You know, life.

Yes but all that is weekday.

I dont think that many people (if any) check when Rosh Chodesh will be when theyre arranging appointments. Its in small letters. Never bold print.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note