Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ami,mishpacha, hamodia,binah
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:56 am
LovesHashem wrote:
It was in the smaller magazine. They don't have humour every week. I think it's every other week or every 3 weeks. It's written as an article not a new blurb. I think there is a difference between reprinting news items in a NEWSpaper and finding a comedy sketch on youtube and copying the transcript.

Youtube is not exactly the most cleanest site (Davka the channel it is from is CERTAINLY not). I was just surprised people who work for the yated spend their time searching through youtube videos for comedic content.

I hear you. I happen not to have seen the article you are talking about, but I will look out for it in the future (curiosity!!).

I also think that you should really reach out to the Yated and point this out, as it's very possible the editors are not aware. They have a lot of articles they have to go through every week and this one may have just slipped under the radar. I really think you should point it out to them.

BTW, YouTube is not necessarily clean or not clean or anything, there are tons of different types of videos and anyone can post anything. I think I've gotten bugs bunny cartoons and I've also watched political debates and other similar stuff on YouTube. It's not the fact that it's on YouTube that makes it problematic, I think.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:57 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Just curious. Is this one of these contemporary, they've given up the good fight things, like so many others? (E.g. their instead of his/her.)

I don't think so. Seems 'comprised of' goes way back.

Off topic - as for your second point, I don't think eliminating 'his' as a gender neutral pronoun is giving up the good fight. What was good about always reading about 'man' and 'his' ambitions and 'his' struggles? Even as a teenager 40 years ago, I felt alienated by that kind of language. At the time, using 'one' was a handy way to get around using 'his' - one's ambitions, etc.

But I am very glad that this specific 'good fight' was lost, and that my girls don't need to read everything addressed in male language.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:00 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I hear you. I happen not to have seen the article you are talking about, but I will look out for it in the future (curiosity!!).

I also think that you should really reach out to the Yated and point this out, as it's very possible the editors are not aware. They have a lot of articles they have to go through every week and this one may have just slipped under the radar. I really think you should point it out to them.

BTW, YouTube is not necessarily clean or not clean or anything, there are tons of different types of videos and anyone can post anything. I think I've gotten bugs bunny cartoons and I've also watched political debates and other similar stuff on YouTube. It's not the fact that it's on YouTube that makes it problematic, I think.

Yes but it's not a secret that no matter what filter you have, youtube gets stuff past it. It's a complicated site to filter and ideally one should just not go there IMHO. (I'm clearly NOT in that ideal spot...but it's a dream)

The article had no writer credit. So I highly doubt they're unaware.
I did email and got no response which made me even furthur upset.
At least respond to your readers and explain your decisions.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:04 am
I assume every newspaper today has internet. How could they print a newspaper otherwise? I'm sure they're not surfing YouTube. There's probably a place that aggregates humor transcripts. Yated also uses a lot of other news aggregators.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:10 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Since you appreciate good writing and editing, that would be "the staff comprises..."

"Comprised of" is never correct.

Lol. Well, several people defended my word choice, so I won't go there. But in case it wasn't clear, I enjoy READING a magazine with good writing and editing. I don't particularly care enough about my own posts on imamother, beyond making sure I get my point across respectfully.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:11 am
Obviously they all have the internet.

But what made me roll my eyes was how they'd quote "Jay Leno, NBC" instead of Jay Leno, The Tonight Show. Because the majority of their readers would not be happy to know that television comedy shows were the source. When they so clearly have an anti-television stance.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:13 am
LovesHashem wrote:
No it was word for word. I sat down and opened the transcript with the article next to me. I don't have the article anymore but it has lines like:

"most brain altering substances are outlawed or at least tightly controlled by the government ;this entirely legal psychoactive drug is enjoyed by basically every person you know on a daily basis"

And

" you wouldn't want to associate that chemical reward with the knowledge that people with far less money than you are severely underpaid to grow and harvest these bitter drug Laden seeds so I'd like to show you some more footage (in the article it said pictures, but there were no pictures in the article) this time of a hard-working happy looking person in Ethiopia or Guatemala somewhere it doesn't really matter I'm also going to say some words that combined with these images should make you feel better Organic cooperative sustainable ethical"

If anyone finds the article and uploads...I'd be ever so grateful.
Perhaps they paid the huge company who created the video to use the transcript, but even so - why are people at the Yated on youtube researching this stuff?

Where did the "youtube" video get its material? How do you know they were the originator?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:35 am
cbsp wrote:
Where did the "youtube" video get its material? How do you know they were the originator?

The channel is a large company with tens of workers, owning a website, making high quality skits and content. That means actors, editors, face and makeup, videographers, photographers, social media, content writers, script writers, etc. Youtube is a real business now. If it was plagiarized the owner could easily sue them and win a lot of money.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:39 am
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Obviously they all have the internet.

But what made me roll my eyes was how they'd quote "Jay Leno, NBC" instead of Jay Leno, The Tonight Show. Because the majority of their readers would not be happy to know that television comedy shows were the source. When they so clearly have an anti-television stance.

Um, everyone knows NBC is TV. Google political humor. There are lots of sites that aggregate it.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if you're a media organization, you can pay to use content from various aggregators.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:40 am
For example, Yated used to print articles from Caroline Glick. They didn't ask her personally to use it. She publishes them and they go into an aggregator, and Yated pays whoever aggregates it to pay whoever published it originally for the right to publish in their newspaper.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 11:45 am
You know there is no way they will name an actual television show as the source. Especially a late night comedy one that is not known for its clean jokes.
If they just credit NBC, it makes it sound like maybe it came from a serious news discussion show and that Jay Leno or Conan O'Brian or whoever is a serious news commentator.
This has nothing to do with paying money. I'm fully aware of how syndication etc works.
You will never see quotes from these types of shows in the Hamodia, for example. They quote serious writers only like Jeff Jacoby or Argus Hamilton or Charles Krauthammer before he passed away.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:19 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
I don't think so. Seems 'comprised of' goes way back.

Off topic - as for your second point, I don't think eliminating 'his' as a gender neutral pronoun is giving up the good fight. What was good about always reading about 'man' and 'his' ambitions and 'his' struggles? Even as a teenager 40 years ago, I felt alienated by that kind of language. At the time, using 'one' was a handy way to get around using 'his' - one's ambitions, etc.

But I am very glad that this specific 'good fight' was lost, and that my girls don't need to read everything addressed in male language.

What about the awkward but grammatically correct his/her, which is what I thought I said?
Not to mention her/his, s/he, he/she.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:33 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
The channel is a large company with tens of workers, owning a website, making high quality skits and content. That means actors, editors, face and makeup, videographers, photographers, social media, content writers, script writers, etc. Youtube is a real business now. If it was plagiarized the owner could easily sue them and win a lot of money.

Where are they getting the info from? Is it possible it's the same source (without the actors and makeup)?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:39 pm
cbsp wrote:
Where are they getting the info from? Is it possible it's the same source (without the actors and makeup)?

Again, it's just not possible. Even if the did the same research and had the same idea it's the same thing word for word. They must of bought or plagiarized the script.

Librarian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 2:41 pm
I get the Hamodia, Yated, Jewish Press and Ami every week. Will buy Mishpacha and Bina too for Yom Tov. Inyan magazine in the Hamodia is by far the best of all. I read every article. I think Ami is superior to Mishpacha and Bina. Dina Neuman's articles in the back of Ami Living alone is worth the price of the magazine.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:02 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Again, it's just not possible. Even if the did the same research and had the same idea it's the same thing word for word. They must of bought or plagiarized the script.

Ahhh, ok. I didn't realize you were referring to a specific channel (in this case Cracked) rather than generic "YouTube"

I'll see if I can find the article you're taking about, I thought it had been attributed to a particular author.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:08 pm
LovesHashem wrote:

Yes, there's a lot of misappropriation and I can understand your indignity. Just saying to everyone, I wouldn't want to be the moser though.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:09 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
What about the awkward but grammatically correct his/her, which is what I thought I said?
Not to mention her/his, s/he, he/she.

S/he was always super awkward, especially in longer sentences where it had to be repeated.
I am actually happy with the comeback of 'their', or the plural singular. It makes life much easier than s/he.

And it's not a new thing! Goes back to the 14th century. Fell out of favor for a while, now back in style.

The singular they had emerged by the 14th century,[3] about a century after plural they. It has been commonly employed in everyday English ever since then, and has gained currency in official contexts, though it has been strongly criticized at least since the late-19th century.[4][5] Its use in modern standard English has become more common and accepted with the trend toward gender-neutral language,[6][4] though most style guides continue to proscribe it, considering it colloquial and less appropriate in formal writing.[4][7][8] Some recent references, however, sanction this usage as appropriate not only in conversational registers of standard English, but also in official or literary usage.[9]

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:46 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Yes, there's a lot of misappropriation and I can understand your indignity. Just saying to everyone, I wouldn't want to be the moser though.

What does moser mean?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:48 pm
cbsp wrote:
Ahhh, ok. I didn't realize you were referring to a specific channel (in this case Cracked) rather than generic "YouTube"

I'll see if I can find the article you're taking about, I thought it had been attributed to a particular author.

Everything created on youtube is by someone and owned by them and their channel. There's been plenty of youtube lawsuits. Recently there was actually a very big lawsuit where one sued an entire channel of stealing the overall theme and concept of ideas from them. It got settled out of court in the end...but it was a big deal.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics