Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Ami,mishpacha, hamodia,binah
Previous  1  2  3  4

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 1:45 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
What does moser mean?

The one who tells on them. This is serious shaila territory, between the chillul Hashem factor, punishment not fitting the crime, not an issue of rodef and danger e.g. a molester, etc.

balibusta

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:04 pm
I love the Yated. I reached out to them and asked them about the allegation that they steal stuff from YouTube and they told me that they never steal stuff from anyone.
They recently caught one of their writers doing that, after a reader wrote to them alerting them, and they warned him to never do it again.
So, before you guys all jump to conclusions you ought to check your facts first.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:07 pm
Did they explain how they got the material?

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 3:12 pm
balibusta wrote:
I love the Yated. I reached out to them and asked them about the allegation that they steal stuff from YouTube and they told me that they never steal stuff from anyone.
They recently caught one of their writers doing that, after a reader wrote to them alerting them, and they warned him to never do it again.
So, before you guys all jump to conclusions you ought to check your facts first.

Hey LovesHashem, maybe it was your letter that did it!

lucky14

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:17 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
You mean Zman. Yes, it’s still in print. Zman is a monthly and runs a lot of longer articles. They recently introduced a sister magazine called Makif which covers one topic a month in depth.

And Nashim, which has been an online or pdf download digest, is starting a print edition this week. They're planning 8 issues this coming year.

oooh I'm excited to hear that! I was hoping they'd eventually make it to print.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 5:46 pm
I've tried different magazines - Mishpacha is still the one I continue to buy weekly. IT is professional, high-quality, dependable, and broad

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:05 am
balibusta wrote:

Interesting. Like I said - I emailed them and they never responded.
Also, I find it strange the specifically the articles that were stolen didn't have a writer credit. Usually writers WANT their articles to be credited. It will say who wrote the article, short story, or essay - even if it's a pen name.

In this case there was no credit at all which led me to believe they knew it wasn't theirs and either bought it or stole it.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:06 am
PinkFridge wrote:
The one who tells on them. This is serious shaila territory, between the chillul Hashem factor, punishment not fitting the crime, not an issue of rodef and danger e.g. a molester, etc.

Aha. Sorry; I don't speak fluent yeshivish.

sky

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:46 am
Hamodia

While of course the news is somewhat slanted (all papers are) I feel they are more balanced and honest then others.
There is a lot of different type of contents

Binah doesn’t have news.

Sections
Current news
Community news
Inyan - magazine covering different topics, serial stories, comedy, small children section, chinuch, Halacha ....
Prime - news magazine
Kids magazine - once a month

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 5:57 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I'll try to clarify.
By and large, we have a strong and healthy sense of yashrus. Which is literally straightness, integrity, honesty, a desire to see justice. (Note: I just heard a great shiur from Rabbi Benzion Klatzko on Why Bad Things Happen to Good People and his beginning is especially intriguing, talking about Moshe Rabbeinu's strong sense of yashrus and its roots.) This is a fine thing. The idea of gezel, theft, even intellectual property, which can mean $$ loss might be especially jarring. Being a moser, I.e. telling on someone gets one into very serious "you must ask a halachic question" territory. If it's a matter of a rodef, someone who is a physical predator who has done serious harm, no question, go to the authorities.

However in most situations one has time to think and reflect. There is not an immediate danger and one must make sure one is acting with true yashrus. Because there is this thing called the fifth Shulchan Aruch, the so called unwritten fifth section of the Shulchan Aruch which actually has four sections. But one shouldn't rely on one's guts, however predicated on halachic living they are. One must ascertain the halachos.

When it comes to lashon hara, particularly giving over bad news of a Jew to non-Jews, there are seriously halachos involved because of the greater chilul Hashem, desecration of Hashem's name, so it must be done properly when necessary. Another factor is that punishments might be excessive and not proportionate to the crime, and one must determine that there aren't other ways to stop the behavior before calling in the authorities.

I hope I clarified my earlier post.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:08 am
It did say who it was by

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:12 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I'll try to clarify.
By and large, we have a strong and healthy sense of yashrus. Which is literally straightness, integrity, honesty, a desire to see justice. (Note: I just heard a great shiur from Rabbi Benzion Klatzko on Why Bad Things Happen to Good People and his beginning is especially intriguing, talking about Moshe Rabbeinu's strong sense of yashrus and its roots.) This is a fine thing. The idea of gezel, theft, even intellectual property, which can mean $$ loss might be especially jarring. Being a moser, I.e. telling on someone gets one into very serious "you must ask a halachic question" territory. If it's a matter of a rodef, someone who is a physical predator who has done serious harm, no question, go to the authorities.

However in most situations one has time to think and reflect. There is not an immediate danger and one must make sure one is acting with true yashrus. Because there is this thing called the fifth Shulchan Aruch, the so called unwritten fifth section of the Shulchan Aruch which actually has four sections. But one shouldn't rely on one's guts, however predicated on halachic living they are. One must ascertain the halachos.

When it comes to lashon hara, particularly giving over bad news of a Jew to non-Jews, there are seriously halachos involved because of the greater chilul Hashem, desecration of Hashem's name, so it must be done properly when necessary. Another factor is that punishments might be excessive and not proportionate to the crime, and one must determine that there aren't other ways to stop the behavior before calling in the authorities.

I hope I clarified my earlier post.

I hear.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 9:37 am
ectomorph wrote:
I like the Yated, which you didn't mention. Least fancy, repeated content over years, but solidly yeshivish and the only newspaper I want my children to read.
Hamodia is good too. Has the most content. If it's expensive, do Hamodia. More chassidish.
Ami is a tabloid and not reliable
Binah is the frum version of good housekeeping
Mishpacha is the most professional but I personally find it too modern.

I like your analysis.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Aug 26 2019, 10:30 am
I used to buy them all. I filtered out most and now only read Hamodia, confident they won't cross inappropriate lines.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics