Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do some Syrians really buy houses for others in community?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:08 pm
Syrian schools and summer camps are free?

I think this is a beautiful concept and I can see how it works. Avraham and Sarah Cohen are a well known Syrian family. Their parents are not wealthy however, and cannot help them buy a house. They are short of $200000 for a downpayment. They start looking at homes in other areas. Thier 3rd cousin, Chaim Levy, hears this, and offers them the $200000 so that they can stay in Brooklyn.

I guess its also possible some people are too proud to take this kind of help and prefer to move away.

turca

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:12 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Good idea. So the op asked if it's true that the Syrian community and shul give "significant sums" to prospective Syrian home buyers in an effort to keep them in the community. It would be great if perhaps someone from the community can chime in and talk about specifics. What does significant sum mean 5k? 25k? 100k? 500k?
Who is eligible?

Lol
This is not a JCC office helping you fill out an application for Medicaid!
This is the type of thing that can’t be explained, because there are not necessarily a set of rules for it... there is no rabbi to call to put u on the list... actually there is not even a list... lol
And, remember the biggest Syrian rule: it all stays inside!

amother
Azure

I’m a Syrian here and I’m laughing from these responses. You can’t just demand a house! Many many people buy houses for their children or family members or will give them a large amount of money towards a home. I have never heard of people totally financing other random peoples homes.

amother
Jade

amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Those in the community aren’t looking for hope from imamother.

Either way it's wrong to spread false information. Why is that unreasonable?

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:21 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Either way it's wrong to spread false information. Why is that unreasonable?

It’s not false - and you were the only person looking for specifics and generating a weird narrative.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:25 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I’m a Syrian here and I’m laughing from these responses. You can’t just demand a house! Many many people buy houses for their children or family members or will give them a large amount of money towards a home. I have never heard of people totally financing other random peoples homes.

For goodness sakes, thank you!

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:28 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:

Yup they do! to non family members! They help a nice amount towards a house.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:29 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
For goodness sakes, thank you!

I heard of it. It s not enough to buy a house of even enough for a down payment but it's a nice amt of money

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:36 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I heard of it. It s not enough to buy a house of even enough for a down payment but it's a nice amt of money

You heard of what exactly? 25k? 100k? 300k?
And now that some people looking for a story posted it here, we can all say "we heard of it". Since your being specific that it's not enough to buy a house I'm assuming the recipient told you the dollar amount. FWIW, I've asked 2 people in the Syrian community about this and both are think it's a complete bubamaisa. In general it's a wealthy community and families do alot to help their children and relatives, but the idea being promoted on this thread that the community gives substantial money to random Syrians to buy homes locally has no basis.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:54 pm
Amother jade, why are you so worked up about this?? ChillPill ChillPill

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 6:56 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
And now that some people looking for a story posted it here, we can all say "we heard of it". Since your being specific that it's not enough to buy a house I'm assuming the recipient told you the dollar amount. FWIW, I've asked 2 people in the Syrian community about this and both are think it's a complete bubamaisa. In general it's a wealthy community and families do alot to help their children and relatives, but the idea being promoted on this thread that the community gives substantial money to random Syrians to buy homes locally has no basis.

You are the only person promoting that idea.

Rappel

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:00 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Sour grapes, much?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:16 pm
I’m just speaking from my own experience my SILs boss gave him a loan to help him buy a house.
Interest free loan.
He pays it off slowly from his salary
He was also gifted a certain amount (in the thousands) as a bonus

All this so that they can lower their monthly payment.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:23 pm
These are not random Syrians. This is a very specific very relatively small community in a very contained geographic area with a very unusual degree of commitment to keeping their relatively small community intact.

It also has astoundingly wealthy people who share those values and the community itself is disproportionately wealthy. There are a few billionaires who live there.

The community is centered around their Center and the blocks closest contain the homes of the wealthiest. These are people who could live in the finest condos on Park Avenue if that was their wish but they choose to live in this small area to be close together.

In some ways this represents the utopia which some post about where the community supports the schools so tuition isn’t a bar for any. Of course again, to some extent it’s moot since the people of the community are generally prosperous so there is more than enough to go around to support all of their wonderful community support and chessed.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:29 pm
First of all ppl need to understand that PARENTS in this community help their children buy homes.
Since it’s a small community and they try to marry amongst themselves they have overlapping grandparents.
Because they are wealthy they help their kids and grandkids.

And BTW, my DD pays $24K per child in Syrian yeshiva and the oldest is starting 2nd grade.
Camp was also expensive, don’t know the amount.
And yes when they get gifts from the grandparents it either goes to tuition or mortgage.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:31 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Less than 25k. Not Bubbe meises but not everyone is helped. They need to meet certain criteria. I'm not sure why it's making you get all worked up

cnc

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 7:51 pm
Raisin wrote:
Syrian schools and summer camps are free?

I think this is a beautiful concept and I can see how it works. Avraham and Sarah Cohen are a well known Syrian family. Their parents are not wealthy however, and cannot help them buy a house. They are short of $200000 for a downpayment. They start looking at homes in other areas. Thier 3rd cousin, Chaim Levy, hears this, and offers them the $200000 so that they can stay in Brooklyn.

I guess its also possible some people are too proud to take this kind of help and prefer to move away.

No school and summer camps are not free. I worked for a Syrian camp and the rates were more expensive than the rates I paid for my own children’s camps.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:15 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I think it's a beautiful idea. I've heard they give enough to almost buy a house in Flatbush. It's really a beautiful chessed and they should continue to always have the resources to help others out.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:17 pm
Perhaps it’s semantics in terms of tuition since there are relatively few members of the community who would need tuition discount just as there are relatively few who need other forms of support so there is more than enough without needing official programs since there are so many wealthy people relative to those in need.

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it's a beautiful idea. I've heard they give enough to almost buy a house in Flatbush. It's really a beautiful chessed and they should continue to always have the resources to help others out.

Amen!! May we all be zoche to always be on the Giving end!!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics