Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Do some Syrians really buy houses for others in community?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Black

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:45 pm
I’m a member of the Syrian community in Flatbush and I never heard of any of this. Maybe I’m not friends with the right people lol. I personally know plenty of people who moved to deal because they couldn’t afford a house in Brooklyn 🤷‍♀️

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I’m a member of the Syrian community in Flatbush and I never heard of any of this. Maybe I’m not friends with the right people lol. I personally know plenty of people who moved to deal because they couldn’t afford a house in Brooklyn 🤷‍♀️

And Lakewoid

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think it's a beautiful idea. I've heard they give enough to almost buy a house in Flatbush. It's really a beautiful chessed and they should continue to always have the resources to help others out.

OP, while we're on this topic, did you know that in Lakewood all the kollel families are gifted new minivans? They have a choice of a honda odyssey or Toyota sienna.
In flatbush most woman are gifted a new sheital before yomtov. I heard last year some were lucky enough to get a shevy, but not everyone. This is all true. I heard it at the takeout when I was getting farfel and kashavarnishkes. Also, give the Syrians credit and don't short change them. The dont only give a "substantial amount" towards a house in Brooklyn. They buy the entire house outright, and these days they also pay for a second summer home in New Jersey.

Mi kamocha yisroel!!!

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:03 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Shhhhh. Let's not spoil it for everyone on this thread that wants to believe the op's bubbamaisa is true.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:32 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Shhhhh. Let's not spoil it for everyone on this thread that wants to believe the op's bubbamaisa is true.

It’s true.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:33 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
OP, while we're on this topic, did you know that in Lakewood all the kollel families are gifted new minivans? They have a choice of a honda odyssey or Toyota sienna.
In flatbush most woman are gifted a new sheital before yomtov. I heard last year some were lucky enough to get a shevy, but not everyone. This is all true. I heard it at the takeout when I was getting farfel and kashavarnishkes. Also, give the Syrians credit and don't short change them. The dont only give a "substantial amount" towards a house in Brooklyn. They buy the entire house outright, and these days they also pay for a second summer home in New Jersey.

Mi kamocha yisroel!!!

You really are a bitter person. There will always be more to any community than what meets the eye.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:43 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I am not a member of the Brooklyn Syrian community but lived in their neighborhood.

They are an extremely tight knit group and go to great lengths to keep their members within the community both "emotionally" and in terms of geography.

As I posted, the Brooklyn Syrian community has members with enormous wealth as well as those who are merely rich. Just google to get some idea of the the financial resources of the community.

I would imagine most of the members of the community don't need this kind of largesse so the need isn't large and the resources are significant for those who need. I am trying not to post in a manner that could be viewed as controversial but as a rule the Brooklyn Syrian community attempts to ensure that their children are self sufficient. To the extent it costs a few million dollars, that is a minimal amount given the financial resources of many of the people and the community as a whole - I would assume most since they have intertwined business relationships.

I don't know what the purpose of the OP was. If it's just general curiosity, I would assume this is true because the community can afford it and it's a shared very important community value to keep the community geographically intact - they also have beautiful homes in Deal as their summer homes.

If you are hoping to receive some kind of financial assistance, don't bother because everyone in the community has ties going back to the 1920's and 1930's when the first small group settled. Those who need assistance in some way would be on the radar of the community leaders. I would assume it's the equivalent of the old saw about expensive stuff - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it - here if you need to inquire about HOW to ask for help, it wouldn't be available because you aren't a known member of the communit

Just to correct the above incorrect point. The founding members came in the late 1800s.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:46 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
You really are a bitter person. There will always be more to any community than what meets the eye.

I'm really not bitter. I'm just a bit disillusioned and troubled by the fact that so many woman on this thread are so gullible and naive. We need to be smarter than this. Thankfully, some Syrian woman have chimed in and confirmed they've never heard of anything like this at all. I'm sorry, but it is sad that people believe anything they hear.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:50 pm
Without reading the whole thread, I’d venture to guess that yes, some people are gifted houses.
But it’s not exclusive to Syrians. You can pick any nationality or religion or anything and say the same thing. This thread could have been titled:
- Do some parents really buy houses for …
- Do some Russians …
- Do some Americans…
- Do some Chinese …
- Do some doctors …
The possibilities are endless! Have fun!

amother
Tan

amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I'm really not bitter. I'm just a bit disillusioned and troubled by the fact that so many woman on this thread are so gullible and naive. We need to be smarter than this. Thankfully, some Syrian woman have chimed in and confirmed they've never heard of anything like this at all. I'm sorry, but it is sad that people believe anything they hear.
I'm yeshivish and my brother in law gave a credit card to a random frum person who couldn't afford groceries and pays his bills. Doesn't mean you can apply for it. He happens to know the guy and feels bad for him.

amother
Puce

amother [ Jade ] wrote:

Yes they have never heard of the weird narrative that you wrote.

You are naive if you think that your friends not getting help with housing means that there are no wealthy people significantly helping others on the community with housing.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 9:56 pm
When you say Syrian there are thousands of Syrians living in Brooklyn. There is the Magen David crowd , sharre Torah , Ateret etc ...religious , non religious

In one of the communities there is a thriving kollel. While many of the boys have parents who can afford to support them and buy them a home many of them don’t have wealthy parents or in-laws. So there is a person in the community who buys houses under a million and will try and help a kollel family work it out. Usually the kollel person has to figure out how to get a down payment by borrowing or asking relatives to help out and then the kollel will help out with the mortgage .

No one is getting free houses . And no one can just call up and ask for help. It’s not so simple. I rather not elaborate more . But that’s the basics .

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:03 pm
I personally know 2 people first hand that got help..
If you pray as the same Shul as R. A. (Initials only to respect his privacy) and know him you can contact him to verify.

Believe it or not It’s a Fact!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:06 pm
MrsEsther wrote:
I personally know 2 people first hand that got help..
If you pray as the same Shul as R. A. (Initials only to respect his privacy) and know him you can contact him to verify.

Believe it or not It’s a Fact!

He’s helping. Not giving out free houses to any Syrian person. It’s a whole cheshbon.
I’m one of them .

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:09 pm
Hi Everyone,

I am a member of the Syrian community- and the blanket statement that wealthy members of the community help other not-so-wealthy members buy a house is FALSE. As someone posted before, I know several people who needed to move out of town to afford housing. Yes, wealthy families generally do buy homes for their children, or help them with a large part of the down-payment. But no wealthy person helps random unrelated community members get together money to buy a home. If someone wants a home, they are free to pretty much beg wealthy relatives or friends to lend them money for a down payment- which they would need to pay back eventually.

Yes- there is one wealthy individual who may help kollel families with their mortgage- but he is definitely not buying those people houses outright.

Please check your facts before posting this kind of thing on a public forum. It's not true and can be hurtful because people assume wealth is just flowing to you because you're Syrian, and that's really not the case. Some of us have to actually work hard and live within our means. It's just like any other community. Wealthy ashkenaz parents would buy homes for their children and may help out a relative with a down-payment, but they wouldn't just buy random people homes. Neither do people by us.

MrsEsther

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
He’s helping. Not giving out free houses to any Syrian person. It’s a whole cheshbon.
I’m one of them .

Exactly! He helps towards a house

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:33 pm
MrsEsther wrote:
Exactly! He helps towards a house

Your missing the point. Yes, perhaps there's a wealthy guy in the community who has helped a some kollel families. Maybe there's even a few people that help. If you read the op's question she asked if Syrians "buy houses for others"? This was shifted to they give "substantial help". Either way it's being presented as the norm that in the Syrian community the wealthy are basically getting houses for those that can't afford. As several Syrian smothers have said, it just isn't true.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 25 2019, 10:36 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
I'm yeshivish and my brother in law gave a credit card to a random frum person who couldn't afford groceries and pays his bills. Doesn't mean you can apply for it. He happens to know the guy and feels bad for him.

So, because your bil helped a random frum guy with his groceries, it makes it more believable that the wealthy Syrians buy houses for those that can't afford? Is this what you're saying?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics