Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Bais Medrash Tuition

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 7:42 am
I'm in the process of registering DS into a BM (grade after 12th). The tuition requested is over double that of 12th grade. Around 15k. I'm shocked by the amount. I posted this in the Lakewood section cause I know others pay the same amount for all grades.

What are you paying?

kollel wife

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 7:46 am
What they quote as tuition is usually not what they actually charge - unless they think you're very rich or something. I was paying 6,000 a year including meals and dorm, plus $300 registration fee

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:03 am
Are you really a "kollel wife" or is that just your name... That may get you a better rate. I'm from the struggling middle class .
kollel wife wrote:
What they quote as tuition is usually not what they actually charge - unless they think you're very rich or something. I was paying 6,000 a year including meals and dorm, plus $300 registration fee

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:09 am
I'm a Kollel wife.

I've paid more in tuition per child than my sister, whose husband works, some years.

Definitely call the place and and see what you can negotiate, if the price is difficult for you to afford.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:15 am
I'm not necessarily suggesting you do this, just sharing my brother's experience.

My mother really wanted my brother to go to college and did not want him going to beis medrash. When they sent a tuition contract for $7500, she was livid. She called the R'Y and basically told them that she refuses to pay, and if they want him to continue learning, they'll figure out a way for him to pay it.

In the end, I believe he tutored younger boys in the yeshiva to pay the tuition. (I doubt it covered $7500, but that's the arrangement they made.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:19 am
Bais Medrash goes up a lot, one of the reasons is that they start dorming. Definitely ask them for a break. You also may qualify for student aid, like FAFSA. My son's yeshiva guided us in applying for FAFSA and B"H (or unfortunately Sad ) we were approved and it's making a tremendous difference.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 8:22 am
I understand the burden to run a school, I'm in no way trying to get out of it. I'm having a hard time making ends meet but try very hard to fulfill my obligations. OTOH if everyone is paying 6k-8k I don't want to be paying 11k-12k.
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I'm not necessarily suggesting you do this, just sharing my brother's experience.

My mother really wanted my brother to go to college and did not want him going to beis medrash. When they sent a tuition contract for $7500, she was livid. She called the R'Y and basically told them that she refuses to pay, and if they want him to continue learning, they'll figure out a way for him to pay it.

In the end, I believe he tutored younger boys in the yeshiva to pay the tuition. (I doubt it covered $7500, but that's the arrangement they made.)

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 11:29 am
Worst case scenario, do what many boys do..

Get an apartment, and go to BMG and sit down and learn. No one will tell them they can't be in Bais Medrash.

If you aren't a big name Lakewood family, no one will be the wiser...

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:35 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Get an apartment, and go to BMG and sit down and learn. No one will tell them they can't be in Bais Medrash.

No bmg rejected my brother..

kollel wife

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:39 pm
I'm not technically a kollel wife anymore, more like klei kodesh, but also struggling middle class. Ask for a discount - usually the amount they begin with is unaffordable. Tell them what you were paying, what you feel you can afford. Only some yeshivas are accredited as colleges - those can get FAFSA - eg. BMG.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:43 pm
We pay around $6000 for each of our boys, my husband works in klei kodesh and we have a large family.(over 10 children!)

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:45 pm
boys elementary school tuition is over $6,000 already in lakewood .

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
We pay around $6000 for each of our boys, my husband works in klei kodesh and we have a large family.(over 10 children!)

So u pay 60k for tuition each year?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:50 pm
As an administrator in a Bais Medrash program, this is what I tell parents of our students.
1. Fill out FAFSA.
2. Even if you don't qualify, we have a worksheet where you can ask for other circumstances to be taken into account (tuition for other children, unreimbursed high medical expenses etc.). The Dept of Education allows us to make adjustments to your eligibility for Pell Grant based on these circumstances.
3. If you still don't qualify, write me a note (it can be on form #2) explaining your situation.

Of course we grant scholarships. But the reasons must be valid.

Our real costs are $14-15K per boy. Food, dormitory, furniture, utilities, wages etc. Not every can pay and even with Pell Grants of course we're also raising money to cover scholarships for needy students. BH we have a substantial number of parents who are able to pay full.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:15 pm
I'm a nobody in Lakewood but was hoping my kids can be better than that :-)
naturalmom5 wrote:

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 4:11 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
So u pay 60k for tuition each year?

No because elementary and girls high school are a little less($4500)!
My kids are not all in bais medrash!! LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries