Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Seeking kosher bnb in Kingston PA, and then in Toronto ONT
1  2  Next

old_mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:33 pm
Hi!

I know there are kosher bnbs in Brooklyn and elsewhere. I tried several websites that are national and international directories of kosher bnbs, but I'm not coming up with anything. Yet I have heard there are kosher bnbs in both Kingston, PA and in Toronto.

I am planning on driving (without family members: solo!) to a family simchah in a few wks., and need to arrive in Kingston, PA at about midnight on a motzaei Shabbos, sleep for seven or eight hours, then drive the rest of the way to Toronto for the simchah. Then I need a bnb in Toronto where I'll stay overnight that Sunday night, from which I'll leave that Monday morning for the drive back home.

Does anyone have any solid info. as to how to find a kosher bnb in either or both places?

THANK YOU!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:39 pm
I have a friend who has an air ban in toronto.let me see if I can find her info

I also have a friend in Kingston who might know. Define kosher tho. I can’t imagine there’s anything actually supervised there. Also if you were to go to toronto via the thruway, you’d have access to supervised food in Albany, Rochester and buffalo.

No kosher food in Kingston. Bnb closed. 6 families that keep kosher there

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:42 pm
Sorry I don't have practical info, but why not just bring breakfast food along for Kingston,
and stay at a regular hotel? Then drive on to Toronto, where you can get a kosher lunch at one of the restaurants there?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 12:58 pm
No kosher food in Kingston. Bnb closed. 6 families that keep kosher there

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:01 pm
Kingston pa has a kosher pizza store some days contact Chabad .

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:11 pm
why do you need a kosher air Bnb in toronto for one night for one person? you can purchase food to eat.

(also a bit judgey of me - but did you ask the family to try to set you up for the night?)

old_mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:13 pm
To answer the question about "define Kosher," I am not worried about food; I'll be bringing my own. My using "Kosher" is my code for "frum-friendly accommodations."

I'd just rather give my "motel" business to a Yid, and maybe also save a few dollars, rather than subsidizing some hotel chain and wondering about the security aspect, since I'll be a woman traveling alone and arriving late at night. That is, I think that I'll sleep better if I'm in a Jewish place -- more heimish and all that.

As for "six families that keep kosher" in Kingston, PA, that's hard to make sense of since there are 30+ Chabad families living there. (Maybe there'd be only six such families in Kingston, Jamaica or Kingston, NY, but not Kingston, PA!) Anyway, as I said above, I'm not needing to obtain kosher food there.

Glad to have the opportunity to clarify here.

Thanks for such quick responses, for checking with friends, etc. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

(Still looking forward to hearing more info. about possibilities in Toronto, at least, and maybe by some miracle in Kingston, PA, too, please Hashem!)

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:20 pm
old_mom wrote:
To answer the question about "define Kosher," I am not worried about food; I'll be bringing my own. My using "Kosher" is my code for "frum-friendly accommodations."

I'd just rather give my "motel" business to a Yid, and maybe also save a few dollars, rather than subsidizing some hotel chain and wondering about the security aspect, since I'll be a woman traveling alone and arriving late at night. That is, I think that I'll sleep better if I'm in a Jewish place -- more heimish and all that.

As for "six families that keep kosher" in Kingston, PA, that's hard to make sense of since there are 30+ Chabad families living there. (Maybe there'd be only six such families in Kingston, Jamaica or Kingston, NY, but not Kingston, PA!) Anyway, as I said above, I'm not needing to obtain kosher food there.

Glad to have the opportunity to clarify here.

Thanks for such quick responses, for checking with friends, etc. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

(Still looking forward to hearing more info. about possibilities in Toronto, at least, and maybe by some miracle in Kingston, PA, too, please Hashem!)

so really you are just looking for a room in Toronto to sleep in a frum family home. Do ask your hosts. Lots of people have a spare bedroom.

old_mom

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 1:23 pm
PS: The part of my family giving the simchah in Toronto are distant family, who are not frum (though the food at the simchah is COR, with a mashgiach temidi), and many more-closely-related-to-them family members are already coming in from out of town. While my family will be very happy that I came, the more closely related relatives understandably got first dibs on family-favor overnight accommodations for the simchah.
Plus, I'd like having the option of leaving before the very end of the simchah if I want to, rather than (If I were staying with family-arranged housing in Toronto) leaving when my sleepover host decides to leave the simchah.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 9:13 pm
Try calling the yeshiva Beis Menachem 570-970-2480
Maybe someone on the staff can help you.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Aug 27 2019, 10:30 pm
A large chain hotel will have locks on the doors and other security measures in place. It's nice to direct your business to a frum family, but you'll be at least as safe in a hotel.

May you always travel for smachot!

old_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:13 am
B"H

Thank you to all! This has been my first post as a new Imamother member. I am in awe of this community of women!

Amein to all the brachos, too!

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 4:53 am
I would probably just go to a motel for a few hours to sleep and bring along my own food. If there are really no kosher bnb options I wouldn’t feel comfortable to be matriach someone I don’t even know.

old_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 5:00 am
I agree with you, anonymous seashell! It looks like a motel will be my best option after all, at least in the Kingston, PA area, and possibly also in Toronto.
(Scroll up and you will see that food wasn't the reason I said "kosher." I was never "worried about food" for this trip.)
Thanks!

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 5:28 am
There are plenty of people in Scranton who would probably put you up, and it is only 25 minutes away.

old_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 6:52 am
Thanks for your idea about the Scranton frum community, anonymous Orchid!

I would prefer staying by someone who does this for pay (that's why I asked about a BnB), as I am arriving late at night on a motzaei Shabbos -- not convenient for a host!

I'd rather stay in a motel than inconvenience a volunteer host I do not even know (and who doesn't know me).

Thanks again!

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:48 am
Scranton also has a kosher co-op where you might be able to pick up some food for the road. It's on the yeshiva campus, but I don't know the hours.

old_mom

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 1:13 pm
B"H

Thank you, Rubber Ducky! 'So good to hear about this!

shanie5

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 6:39 pm
old_mom wrote:
Thanks for your idea about the Scranton frum community, anonymous Orchid!

I would prefer staying by someone who does this for pay (that's why I asked about a BnB), as I am arriving late at night on a motzaei Shabbos -- not convenient for a host!

I'd rather stay in a motel than inconvenience a volunteer host I do not even know (and who doesn't know me).

Thanks again!

No BnB in scranton, but you are welcome to stay by me. I rarely go to sleep before 1am on a motzei shabbos, so midnight would be fine.
As to safety factor of taking in a stranger, If you accept my invitation, I'm sure we will talk and find someone in common who can vouch for both you and me Hi

Gerbera

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:07 pm
The kosher air bnbs in Toronto are expensive! You're better off in a hotel especially as it's one night. Toronto is also huge - wouldn't you rather stay close to where the wedding is? I live in Toronto and I've familiar with most of the places available for rent as we recently looked into them for guests. You probably won't find for one night anyways. They have minimum stay requirements.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics