Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Smartphone challenge!!
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 7:41 am
Who is up for it? Who here does not use their phone more than they should or not at the best times? There are far and few in between, if at all. You women out there without a smartphone, you pass the challenge every day, so kudos to you Applause .

These are the rules, more or less. You start by picking one day a week and if then you try to do it also the following weeks, but don't think about that. First try once! Each person will put upon them self different things. For example, if you see that you use it often when around your children and you don't really need to, don't. Remember this is only for one day (to start with at least).

I will be'zh pick tomorrow, Thursday and this is what I will try not to do...Since I use imamother on the computer, I'm not going to say not use imamother and besides I'm not eliminating that, but I often check out imamother on my phone and not log on. That is a no no for my challenge day. This is pretty much the same thing as the imamother, but I will try not to look at my phone just to look. I will still use it for phone and texting, but not check if I got any texts because we all need someone Hug . I will still use it for notes, calculator, and book. Since I don't have any games on my phone, that's a non-issue. Since I won't be using it for those extra things, using it when my children around isn't a big deal, but I will try not to, too. Also, since I use the subway, I will only use it then for reading my book, not even for texting unless it's an emergency of course. That's all I can think of for now. I'll let you know how it goes.

What do you think you can accomplish? Can you do it? One day at a time.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:26 am
I put time limits for apps and sites on my phone, and locked everything besides productivity and email/text apps for the hours kids are home.I mean now they are home all day, but whatever.

but I keep cheating and just entering the password and continuing anyway. I always tell myself it’s just for a second but you know how it works...

So my challenge is to keep to the limits I already put on phone and not to enter password. Sometimes it’s hard cuz I can be in the middle of a juicy thread when I hit the time limit, but too bad.

Thanks yo’ma!

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:39 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
I put time limits for apps and sites on my phone, and locked everything besides productivity and email/text apps for the hours kids are home.I mean now they are home all day, but whatever.

but I keep cheating and just entering the password and continuing anyway. I always tell myself it’s just for a second but you know how it works...

So my challenge is to keep to the limits I already put on phone and not to enter password. Sometimes it’s hard cuz I can be in the middle of a juicy thread when I hit the time limit, but too bad.

Thanks yo’ma!

Hmmm I'm going to try that. I might end up cheating, too, but the extra step might be a deterrent.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:42 am
Ravenclaw wrote:

Thanks yo’ma!

The things on the phone that sets the limits don't work for me either. It's like a diet, if there's a will, there's a way and who is going to actually stop me. I have to do it myself. This is only for one day and I'm sure anyone can do it.

creditcards

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 6:11 pm
I think my challenge will be not to touch my phone tonight from 6:30 to 7:30. And instead be busy with my kids.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 6:21 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:

Thanks yo’ma!

Would love to know how to do that on my iphone.

pizza4

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 6:50 pm
I'll join.
So my first thought is let me not be on my phone for the entire day I choose besides for phone/text. But they say cut your resolution in half and then in half again so you actually can keep it.
So mine is like this: I'll try not to be busy with it too much during the day, but mainly I want to turn it off at night. 11pm, phone away. No taking the phone to bed.
I'm not going to take tomorrow because that's Thursday and I'll anyway not be on it much, cooking and cleaning for shabbos. So Monday.

nicole81

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:14 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

I don't have an iPhone so I'm not sure if there's a built in function for this, but I purchased an app to monitor and filter my kids' phone activity. One of the features it has is app limiting, phone limits, etc.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:17 pm
I’m in. I will bli neder not use my phone for recreation between 3pm and 7pm when my kids are home and up.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:42 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Mine is an iPhone. It’s in settings under screen time, where you can see your stats. You can press downtime there

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:43 pm
yo'ma wrote:
The things on the phone that sets the limits don't work for me either. It's like a diet, if there's a will, there's a way and who is going to actually stop me. I have to do it myself. This is only for one day and I'm sure anyone can do it.

Yes but sometimes it’s mindless habit, so when the restricted page with code comes up it reminds you of resolution.

simba

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 8:46 pm
Thanks to this thread: I went out for a few hours with my kids today and turned off my data. Just used it sporadically for watsapp. I had such a good time. No distractions.

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:28 pm
Ok I'm in. Bn tomorrow I will not look at my phone while my children are talking to me. It will also not come to bed with me.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 8:46 am
yo'ma wrote:

I will be'zh pick tomorrow, Thursday and this is what I will try not to do...Since I use imamother on the computer, I'm not going to say not use imamother and besides I'm not eliminating that, but I often check out imamother on my phone and not log on. That is a no no for my challenge day. This is pretty much the same thing as the imamother, but I will try not to look at my phone just to look. I will still use it for phone and texting, but not check if I got any texts because we all need someone Hug . I will still use it for notes, calculator, and book. Since I don't have any games on my phone, that's a non-issue. Since I won't be using it for those extra things, using it when my children around isn't a big deal, but I will try not to, too. Also, since I use the subway, I will only use it then for reading my book, not even for texting unless it's an emergency of course. That's all I can think of for now. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm embarrassed to say, but I forgot that I was going to do this today. It only happened when I first woke up and then later I remembered and am trying to be careful. Hatzlacha to one and all!!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:17 am
I'm so proud of you all! I have a kosher phone, but that's not because I'm so much better than you. It's because I can't stand having anything that's smarter than I am! LOL

My hands shake, and I can't deal with the screen. I need actual, real life buttons to push. The sensory feedback is the only thing that registers with my brain. I have the same problem with ATMs and other touch screen technology.

So my advice to you, is to notice the color the sky is today. Look around and see if there are any flowers growing on your block. Smell the air. If you are feeling really daring, kick off your shoes and put your feet in the grass.

I think that our family life started to deteriorate with the invention of the TV dinner. After that it was the microwave, and instant meals that kids could make for themselves. From there it was all down hill, and that disconnect gets worse and worse every day.

I refused to take DD out to eat, unless she put her phone away. I was not going to pay for a nice meal, just to have her glued to the screen. She could take pictures of the food and post it to all her social media groups, but then she had to actually set down the phone and have a real life conversation. Sometimes there were awkward pauses, but it's good practice. You'll never learn how to communicate properly if you don't have experience in person.

By making a conscious effort to reconnect with our families and our community, we are actively doing tikkun olam and ahavas isroel, two very important mitzvot!

Enjoy life - and keep up the good work. Very Happy

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:19 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm so proud of you all! I have a kosher phone, but that's not because I'm so much better than you. It's because I can't stand having anything that's smarter than I am! LOL

My hands shake, and I can't deal with the screen. I need actual, real life buttons to push. The sensory feedback is the only thing that registers with my brain. I have the same problem with ATMs and other touch screen technology.

So my advice to you, is to notice the color the sky is today. Look around and see if there are any flowers growing on your block. Smell the air. If you are feeling really daring, kick off your shoes and put your feet in the grass.

I think that our family life started to deteriorate with the invention of the TV dinner. After that it was the microwave, and instant meals that kids could make for themselves. From there it was all down hill, and that disconnect gets worse and worse every day.

I refused to take DD out to eat, unless she put her phone away. I was not going to pay for a nice meal, just to have her glued to the screen. She could take pictures of the food and post it to all her social media groups, but then she had to actually set down the phone and have a real life conversation. Sometimes there were awkward pauses, but it's good practice. You'll never learn how to communicate properly if you don't have experience in person.

By making a conscious effort to reconnect with our families and our community, we are actively doing tikkun olam and ahavas isroel, two very important mitzvot!

Enjoy life - and keep up the good work. Very Happy

Why do I always love your posts so much? Very Happy

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:24 am
I absolutely refuse to take my phone into the shower. Refuse!!!

And I'm proud. It takes a lot of courage.
(But I don't want my phone to get wet)

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 1:28 pm
I think if we all do the same day of the week then it's easier to remember. I forgot until I saw the new post email.

superjew1

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 6:29 pm
There's an app I got, I think it's called screen timer and you could basically set a time for the app to remind you that times up. You can keep using the app if you wish but it works well to realize how much you are on an app.
For example I'll set 15 min every time I open chrome or Instagram and then after 15 minutes, it says times up and closes the app (you can also choose no limit if you need to like research or whatever and choose to use more time)
It's been really great at keeping me being mindful instead of just taking on those apps and mindlessly scrolling for hours (which happens often before I got this app)
Also another option is to get a screen time app or phone detox app with a code that only your husband knows and get him on board to not give you extra time unless it's really crucial.

mammale

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 7:56 pm
I'm in! Tomorrow I will not read on my phone, or check WhatsApp groups except if I am nursing without big kids around, and for 10 min. after bedtime (except it's Friday... I probably won't do that Very Happy). I will still use my phone for phone/ text/ looking up recipes/ setting timers etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics