Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Bayswater NY What can you tell me about it?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 9:49 pm
What are the prices of houses? Are taxes high? How big are the houses?
Where do the children typically go to school and how do they get there - is there busing?
What are the people like? Is there a sense of community? Are the families mostly younger, older or a mix? Is it considered a yeshivish community or more modern?

I know there has been threads asking about bayswater in the past, but am asking anyways since from what I've heard its been growing - which may have effected the prices, type of families there and ect....

Thanks!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are the prices of houses? Are taxes high? How big are the houses?
Where do the children typically go to school and how do they get there - is there busing?
What are the people like? Is there a sense of community? Are the families mostly younger, older or a mix? Is it considered a yeshivish community or more modern?

I know there has been threads asking about bayswater in the past, but am asking anyways since from what I've heard its been growing - which may have effected the prices, type of families there and ect....

Thanks!

Crowd is a mix. Some yeshivish, some non mainstream type, some out of town type of families, some jpf. Also a lot of Sephardic families have been moving in. Some lchabad families as well. No real five townsy types. Schools are mostly darchei and some siach, a few south shore. Tag and bby mostly. Maybe a few Shulamith. There is bussing only to nyc schools. So no bus to south shore or yeshiva ketana or shulmith.
Housing has skyrocket tbh. Last few houses were listed at high 700s all the way up to two houses in the 900s in the last month. Can still find some cheaper but not much under 600s. Pple are nice but not really a community unless u find ur niche.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:23 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Crowd is a mix. Some yeshivish, some non mainstream type, some out of town type of families, some jpf. Also a lot of Sephardic families have been moving in. Some lchabad families as well. No real five townsy types. Schools are mostly darchei and some siach, a few south shore. Tag and bby mostly. Maybe a few Shulamith. There is bussing only to nyc schools. So no bus to south shore or yeshiva ketana or shulmith.
Housing has skyrocket tbh. Last few houses were listed at high 700s all the way up to two houses in the 900s in the last month. Can still find some cheaper but not much under 600s. Pple are nice but not really a community unless u find ur niche.

Thanks for the info. Would you be able to post links from zilliow of a few houses that are in the jeiwsh neighborhood that are 650000 or below ? I just want to see what exactly I can expect for that price. Thanks

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:33 pm
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

not much for sale right now... this is about it for that price range

this one is more..

redt85

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:33 pm
I live in Bayswater and my husband is real estate broker has sold many houses in the area. Please feel free to call him 212-470-3856.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:40 pm
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1516-Dunbar-St-RT-Far-Rockaway-NY-11691/2083114645_zpid/

not much for sale right now... this is about it for that price range

this one is more..

Thanks that was really helpful. Looks like we are may be mostly priced out Sad - looking to spend in the low 600's

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:41 pm
redt85 wrote:
I live in Bayswater and my husband is real estate broker has sold many houses in the area. Please feel free to call him 212-470-3856.

Thanks!

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Aug 28 2019, 10:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks that was really helpful. Looks like we are may be mostly priced out Sad - looking to spend in the low 600's

sorry:( I know the feeling. depends what you are willing to take for that price.. there def are here and there for that price range , but it wont be big or beautiful. there is a major housing crisis in this fr/five towns area unfortunately. nothing is affordable..

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:23 am
We looked into the area probably 6-7 years ago. Even then it was out of our price range as well as most of the Queens, Long Island areas. That's when we picked up and moved out of NY. It wasn't an easy move with jobs and all, but B"H it worked out for our benefit in the end.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:28 am
sorry:( I know the feeling. depends what you are willing to take for that price.. there def are here and there for that price range , but it wont be big or beautiful. there is a major housing crisis in this fr/five towns area unfortunately. nothing is affordable..

Thanks. It's so fustrating. We worked hard to saved up enough for a down payment and can't find anything Sad We need something close enough that we can commute to Brooklyn (husband has a good job there and our special needs son goes to school there so not really an option to move further out). We are priced out of Brooklyn and heard Bayswater is cheaper so hoped we could find something there Sad

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:30 am
Did you try Staten Island?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:31 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
We looked into the area probably 6-7 years ago. Even then it was out of our price range as well as most of the Queens, Long Island areas. That's when we picked up and moved out of NY. It wasn't an easy move with jobs and all, but B"H it worked out for our benefit in the end.

Thanks we may just have to do that. Just dh has a job that's very hard to find plus I don't think other places would have such good special ed services or schools Sad

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. It's so fustrating. We worked hard to saved up enough for a down payment and can't find anything Sad We need something close enough that we can commute to Brooklyn (husband has a good job there and our special needs son goes to school there so not really an option to move further out). We are priced out of Brooklyn and heard Bayswater is cheaper so hoped we could find something there Sad

Very frustrating.. again u may be able to get something in low 600s here if u are able to lower ur expectations

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:37 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Did you try Staten Island?

We did look into it. It's not a growing community (unless your chassidish) but I guess we have to give in somewhere. It may be possible for us to find something just the school there is not a good fit for us and once we counted in the expense of carpooling in our kids to Brooklyn for school everyday it really added up.... Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:40 am
Very frustrating.. again u may be able to get something in low 600s here if u are able to lower ur expectations

Ok thanks will keep checking

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 9:51 am

Yes this is so true. People keep on moving out into the undesirable areas looking for affordable housing. There really is a housing crises there. BH we moved out of town last summer from Far rockaway. Also, I should mention if either of you work in Manhattan it's really not a great commute from Bayswater.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:02 am
OP - do you have to buy? Rents can be pretty reasonable.
We are living in Bayswater for a few years now and renting. We have one special needs child in a school in Brooklyn (for which we get BOE busing). We have looked into OOT but most affordable places can't meet our special education needs.
Because the housing prices are so inflated, we are thinking that we'll wait until sn child is older (high school age) and then consider moving OOT and buying (when hopefully at that point her educational needs can be met more easily).

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 10:34 am
You left out chasidish.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 11:00 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
You left out chasidish.

There really aren’t many. There are a bunch of families from chassidish backgrounds so u will see some streimels around but I wouldn’t say the community really has any real chassidish families.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 29 2019, 11:24 am
There really aren’t many. There are a bunch of families from chassidish backgrounds so u will see some streimels around but I wouldn’t say the community really has any real chassidish families.
That's inaccurate and insulting to the families who are really chasidish.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating