Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will anyone prevent Ateres Tziporah girls from going OTD?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 12:22 am
meme6 wrote:
There also needs to be a school for those that are not so yeshivish so saying they run different homes is not an answer they are Yiddish kids. My question is where are the big talkers like rechnitz remember what he said a few years ago never heard him act on it. It’s disgusting what’s going on with this school but I will say the same situation happens with yeshiva gedolah a lot don’t get accepted etc that’s what causes so many boys to go otd!

I’m pretty sure this school almost closed last year and rexhnitz saved it. You can’t expect him to keep saving a school that is not self Sestaining afloat forever. That’s not fair.

It’s not like people don’t know that Lakewood has a school shortage. And the ones that are open are a certain type. And yet people keep moving and expecting that magically there will be space and an appropriate school. There just isn’t. Is it fair to move to a community and expect them to be responsible to owning schools to accomodate you? I don’t think that’s fair to the existing residents who are already struggling and stretched so thin.
I think Lakewood residents are tired of seeing people coming in droves from oot and buying large gorgeous homes and then complain when the schools they expect don’t materialize. Why aren’t they responsible and held accountable to fix the situations. Why must it be old Lakewood?

dorothy1

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 5:04 am
meme6 wrote:
There also needs to be a school for those that are not so yeshivish so saying they run different homes is not an answer they are Yiddish kids. My question is where are the big talkers like rechnitz remember what he said a few years ago never heard him act on it. It’s disgusting what’s going on with this school but I will say the same situation happens with yeshiva gedolah a lot don’t get accepted etc that’s what causes so many boys to go otd!

He single handedly kept this exact school open last year

allthingsblue

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 7:18 am
meme6 wrote:

This come across as very disrespectful. "Big talker"? How about "big do-er!"
He has donated to this school and others. His speech was about inclusiveness in schools. He can't bring that to fruition- only the schools themselves can.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 8:53 am
Lakewood needs more diversity. My children go to a regular Lakewood school and they are picking up that anyone who is slightly different is something to be ashamed of. And the standard of a school in each area is the standard we have to have or its something to be ashamed of. No I wouldn't want to send my kid to Ateres Tziporah. But I wouldn't mind some kids joining our school bringing in some diversity. The children should be proud of who they are. And not look down on others. This vaad has made so many people cry. It's time for new leadership.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 8:59 am
I am so sorry about this situation and the families struggling through it.
however, the only ones who can make changes is yourselves and the only ones who can create situations to strengthen your children's yiddishkeit is yourselves also.
wishing you all much clarity strength happiness and hatzlocha

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 9:48 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I am so sorry about this situation and the families struggling through it.
however, the only ones who can make changes is yourselves and the only ones who can create situations to strengthen your children's yiddishkeit is yourselves also.
wishing you all much clarity strength happiness and hatzlocha

Do you have a guarantee with the Rebono Shel Olam that your children and children's children will never be in the above parent's and children's circumstances?

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 12:02 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I’m pretty sure this school almost closed last year and rexhnitz saved it. You can’t expect him to keep saving a school that is not self Sestaining afloat forever. That’s not fair.

It’s not like people don’t know that Lakewood has a school shortage. And the ones that are open are a certain type. And yet people keep moving and expecting that magically there will be space and an appropriate school. There just isn’t. Is it fair to move to a community and expect them to be responsible to owning schools to accomodate you? I don’t think that’s fair to the existing residents who are already struggling and stretched so thin.
I think Lakewood residents are tired of seeing people coming in droves from oot and buying large gorgeous homes and then complain when the schools they expect don’t materialize. Why aren’t they responsible and held accountable to fix the situations. Why must it be old Lakewood?

The way of the world is that big metropolitan areas were created out of tiny towns.
Lodz in Poland was a small insubstantial town. (Actually, it was more like a settlement) until the 1800's. Due to the textile industry, it became one of the largest cities in Poland and maybe the largest concentration of Jews in Poland, let alone the European continent.

Moreover, according to US statistics, demographics change every 10 years in both cities and suburbs. Lakewood is not above the ways of the world.

And if we keep our heads above the sands, our very own frum school systems produce Frum people with different hashkafas than their upbringing. This can be your cousin, your neighbor, someone you love's own children.

and twenty years ago their were already large gorgeous homes in Lakewood. It was ok to own one, as long as it was not in Brooklyn.
At the same time, it was politically correct to disparage city owners who lived in large gorgeous homes.

Reality, please.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 1:44 pm
Of course not there are no guarantees in life we do our hishtadlus - perhaps I wasn’t clear enough in my post

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 1:53 pm
Way back when, in lakewood, we all went to school together, chasidish, litvish, less yeshivish, more yeshivish, heimish etc. And we all came out okay. It is so much healthier to have schools like that. It isnt normal then in lakewood, there is a school for every type, one a drop diff then the next... But the main problem is really the size, we can all say to push more kids into schools, but their classes are full to the brim. no room for even another desk.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 2:06 pm
I am very strongly sceptical that AT's issue is the "type" of girls they are, and that schools are refusing them because of that.
There are many schools that are less yeshivish, and are happy to take non yeshivish IF THEY HAVE ROOM, WHICH THEY DONT.
In some grades, Bnos Brocha has 32 girls per class, Tehillas Chaya Sora has 29. Bais Faiga has 28-30. Bnos Devora 31. (I called to see who would accept from OOT).
I know many AT parents. Many are lovely families that I would be quite happy to have in my kids classes IF THERES ROOM.
However, there are a few parents that I know, who probably give the whole parent body a bad name. They refuse to follow school rules (not only tznius), refuse to pay tuition and brag about their vacations and luxury splurges, refuse to cooperate with school recommendations-evaluate, tutor, approve for pull out. I know these parents who proudly brag about these behaviors.
I could really understand why a school would be hesitant to take them even though I feel bad for the girls.
Personally, I think this type of parent makes schools hesitant to take "all AT kids" who don't have "someone" to vouch for them.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 2:56 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
and twenty years ago their were already large gorgeous homes in Lakewood. It was ok to own one, as long as it was not in Brooklyn.
At the same time, it was politically correct to disparage city owners who lived in large gorgeous homes.

I don't understand what you mean by this. Please explain.

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Way back when, in lakewood, we all went to school together, chasidish, litvish, less yeshivish, more yeshivish, heimish etc. And we all came out okay. It is so much healthier to have schools like that. It isnt normal then in lakewood, there is a school for every type, one a drop diff then the next... But the main problem is really the size, we can all say to push more kids into schools, but their classes are full to the brim. no room for even another desk.

I think one difference is technology and culture today is very different than it was 40,30,20 even 10 years ago.

So a kid who watches a non jewish movie in 2019 is getting far more shmutz than one who watched in 1985.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:14 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
The way of the world is that big metropolitan areas were created out of tiny towns.
Lodz in Poland was a small insubstantial town. (Actually, it was more like a settlement) until the 1800's. Due to the textile industry, it became one of the largest cities in Poland and maybe the largest concentration of Jews in Poland, let alone the European continent.

Moreover, according to US statistics, demographics change every 10 years in both cities and suburbs. Lakewood is not above the ways of the world.

And if we keep our heads above the sands, our very own frum school systems produce Frum people with different hashkafas than their upbringing. This can be your cousin, your neighbor, someone you love's own children.

Reality, please.

I’m just tired of hearing why isn’t Lakewood doing anything?

My DH and I work hard to pay 30 k in tuition a year and live so simply. My kids are in schools with 30 kids per class. 5 additional classes have been added since my son started primary - to the tremendous loss of the students.
I’m sorry kids don’t have schools. But I’m tired. My kids are being stuffed into schools. I’m fighting to pay tuition. And yet we are the bad guys.

Shouldn’t those moving in be doing something? Whose job is it to develop infrastructure?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:26 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
I’m just tired of hearing why isn’t Lakewood doing anything?

My DH and I work hard to pay 30 k in tuition a year and live so simply. My kids are in schools with 30 kids per class. 5 additional classes have been added since my son started primary - to the tremendous loss of the students.
I’m sorry kids don’t have schools. But I’m tired. My kids are being stuffed into schools. I’m fighting to pay tuition. And yet we are the bad guys.

Shouldn’t those moving in be doing something? Whose job is it to develop infrastructure?

The Lakewood Vaad.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:47 am
the lakewood vaad shouldnt be responsible, maybe the realtors that have been bringing all these pple to move to lakewood so that they can make money.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:50 am

We used to meet the principal’s family renting movies. But now everyone has the put on a frummer than you facade.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:51 am
the lakewood vaad shouldnt be responsible, maybe the realtors that have been bringing all these pple to move to lakewood so that they can make money.

That was one thought of mine. But really that's silly. We all have free choice; people choose to move here despite the lack of variety in schools.
I really do think a group of non-Lakewood parents should form a school. Perhaps they can get guidance from Far rockaway schools- those schools have a mixed parent body but are considered to be well run, mainstream, and have excellent kodesh and chol programs (thinking of YFR and Darchei). I would send to such a school if the clientele was mixed (and I was not the frummest 20%), the teachers were experienced and talented, and the goal of the school was to imbue the girls with a true love of judaism and foster a relationship with Hashem.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:51 am

making a living is acceptable.

Why isn't it the Lakewood vaad's responsibility? Don't they take it upon themselves to look out for the Jewish interests of Lakewood?

keym

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:52 am
allthingsblue wrote:
That was one thought of mine. But really that's silly. We all have free choice; people choose to move here despite the lack of variety in schools.
I really do think a group of non-Lakewood parents should form a school. Perhaps they can get guidance from Far rockaway schools- those schools have a mixed parent body but are considered to be well run, mainstream, and have excellent kodesh and chol programs (thinking of YFR and Darchei). I would send to such a school if the clientele was mixed (and I was not the frummest 20%), the teachers were experienced and talented, and the goal of the school was to imbue the girls with a true love of judaism and foster a relationship with Hashem.

And to add, if the school would have a certain level of financial viability.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:54 am
keym wrote:
And to add, if the school would have a certain level of financial viability.

Good point.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics