Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Freezing gefilte fish?

cinnamon

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 3:04 am
Anyone try to freez cooked gefilte fish loaf? Did it work?

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 3:26 am
growing up my mother did this every week. She would make two loaves every week and save the leftovers. She wrapped it in two layers of foil and then put that in a plastic zip lock bag or shopping bag and it was as good as new the following shabbat.

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 4:02 am
I just did it for the first time last week!
I heard that people do this but I could not stomach the idea to eat cooked gefilte fish that was frozen. When I realized 2 weeks ago that we would be going away the following shabbos I decided to try. I froze the fish without liquid. I actually cut slices before I froze but I’m not sure that it’s necessary. I put it in a storage container and then put the container in a bag. Friday morning I left the fish on the counter for around an hour. Put it back in the fridge until shabbos started. Then plated it and put it on the table. It tasted 100% fine. It tasted regular! Couldn’t tell that it had been in the freezer at all! I would definitely do it again.

cinnamon

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 4:06 am
Cool. I'll try it! Thanks!

gold2

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 7:10 am
You can freeze it but it might taste more watery. To prevent this, I heat it up in the oven once it's defrosted for a few minutes to dry it out then let it cool.
It doesn't taste too dry. Tastes really good. I don't like the watery taste.

Surrendered

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 8:56 am
When my fish burned one week, I asked my mother if she has anough to spare, she said a big YES, after shabbos she asked how it tasted. When I said it was Delicious, she said it's from the freezer!
Ever since I had frozen mine several times. As long as the family doesn't know it's from the freezer it tastes just fine!
I take it till unfrosted, so it tastes fresh.

(Same thing with Chulent! Shhhh...)

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 8:58 am
gold2 wrote:
You can freeze it but it might taste more watery. To prevent this, I heat it up in the oven once it's defrosted for a few minutes to dry it out then let it cool.
It doesn't taste too dry. Tastes really good. I don't like the watery taste.

I froze it and it was not watery at all!
I did not freeze any liquid with the fish; only fish slices.

Blessing1

Post Fri, Aug 30 2019, 9:07 am
I always freeze cooked gefilta fish. I recook straight from the freezer in water and spices for a bit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics