Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
From a former teacher
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 5:04 pm
Tomorrow is September 1 which means that here in israel everyone is going back to school tomorrow.
For the first time, I will not be returning to the classroom this year. Tonight, I made sure my kids were completely ready for school. Their knapsacks are packed and ready to go.
While every other year the night of August 31 is dedicated to getting my kids ready for school this year was different. It wasn't as rushed. I was able to give my kids a little extra attention, I even made special lunches and wrote cute notes to them to go with their lunches. Normally after my kids are packed up my attention immediately shifts to my students. I have to double check the class lists, reread every iep, double check the schedule for the first day, make sure all sheets I need are printed, make sure that everything I have planned is not just good, but amazing. I did this all on August 31, not bc it's the end of vacation and I suddenly woke up. I've had been going through this stuff and more all summer, but just like every professional the night before a big meeting, the night before I needed to check one more time that every thing was ready to go and perfect for presentation.
I often here people complaining about how teachers get so much vacation and free time but there is very little recognition to what they do in their free time, and very often that is thinking about your children.
As you get your kids ready for the first day of school, think about the teachers who are giving their kids a little less attention bc they have butterflies in their stomach when they think about meeting your kids.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 6:12 pm
I'm glad you are enjoying the time with your kids. Everyone knows that teachers spend time outside the classroom getting ready and generally caring for the children they teach.

You don't seem aware of the mothers who are busy working through the summer, often in caring professions, and are not able to have a relaxing time putting together backpacks and lunches.

As someone who has taught, been a sahm, and worked in the private sector, I can tell you that teachers have it pretty good. Not as easy as a sahm, but significantly easier than many other jobs.

Maybe you can use some of your new found time providing childcare to a stressed working mother.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 8:49 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I'm glad you are enjoying the time with your kids. Everyone knows that teachers spend time outside the classroom getting ready and generally caring for the children they teach.

You don't seem aware of the mothers who are busy working through the summer, often in caring professions, and are not able to have a relaxing time putting together backpacks and lunches.

As someone who has taught, been a sahm, and worked in the private sector, I can tell you that teachers have it pretty good. Not as easy as a sahm, but significantly easier than many other jobs.

Maybe you can use some of your new found time providing childcare to a stressed working mother.

I'm a stressed working mother.

And I'm a teacher.

What do you think I do in the summer? Sit down and relax? I get about two weeks, and then I am already tied down to what I'm doing next year. I'm busy doing professional development and figuring out what to do- since I've never taught the same thing two years in a row.

My psychiatrist told me that he's seeing a lot of students who are anxious about the new school year, and many, many teachers who are stressed about the upcoming school year.

A little empathy would be appreciated.

amother
White

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:03 pm
As a teacher, I related to every word in your post. Thank you, op.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:55 pm
I've never heard people complain about teacher's getting 'so much' vacation. Who are they complaining to?

Ravenclaw

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:19 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

You seem very stressed out. I hope things get easier. Being a working mother is not easy.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:19 pm
As a former teacher in a different profession todat, I must say this is very ignorant of most moms lives. Teachers are coming from ten weeks vacation. I've been working every day of the summer. The last two weeks with no camp or school is teh toughest time of year.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:42 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
You seem very stressed out. I hope things get easier. Being a working mother is not easy.

Thanks for the empathy. Actually, I'm not working now. This didn't come from a place of stress. I just find that teachers who complain about their work load don't seem to understand what other jobs entail. Most workers put in time outside the office. I promise that underpaid nurses and social workers (I'm neither of these) also spend time outside of work thinking about the people in their care.

Teachers do wonderful work, and I wish that we as a society valued them more. But let's not pretend that they have it harder than everyone else.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:46 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Thanks for the empathy. Actually, I'm not working now. This didn't come from a place of stress. I just find that teachers who complain about their work load don't seem to understand what other jobs entail. Most workers put in time outside the office. I promise that underpaid nurses and social workers (I'm neither of these) also spend time outside of work thinking about the people in their care.

Teachers do wonderful work, and I wish that we as a society valued them more. But let's not pretend that they have it harder than everyone else.

Teachers need to be "on" emotionally all the time. I'm not saying there are no other jobs that are like that, but teachers stand in front of 30 kids all day, many of whom hate school. It's really draining on the nerves.

The statistics of the percentage of teachers on antidepressants is astoundingly high. The attrition rate in teaching is incredibly high.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:48 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Don't we have threads multiple times a year about giving tips/gifts to teachers? We as a community value them.

Taking a moment to pause on the day before school to think about my children's teachers children is a bit much for me.

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 11:58 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Don't we have threads multiple times a year about giving tips/gifts to teachers? We as a community value them.

Taking a moment to pause on the day before school to think about my children's teachers children is a bit much for me.

Again, I think that teachers do truly valuable work. I don't think they work harder than everyone else. Pretty much everyone who doesn't do manual labor puts in hours outside of the office. That's the reality of the modern work force.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:07 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
As a former teacher in a different profession todat, I must say this is very ignorant of most moms lives. Teachers are coming from ten weeks vacation. I've been working every day of the summer. The last two weeks with no camp or school is teh toughest time of year.

I'm not going to comment on who has it harder but I just want to say there are alot of teachers who can't afford a ten week break and work in the summer - think of all the preschool morahs in day camps or all the head staff in camps

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:37 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:

Nurses and social workers? Nurses make double what social workers make and with half the training. Not sure why they are comparable. Off topic I know but just stood out at me.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:53 am
As a teacher myself, I totally disagree with the op.
I’m constantly thankful for an occupation that allows me to have the summer off.
I see my friends who work in the “real world” and feel bad that they work through the summer.
Not sure where this teacher entitlement comes from.
I feel blessed that I can work only 10 months a year. (Btw most summers I do take on camp jobs, but it’s still easier then 9-5 office job)

DrMom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:01 am
I hope this post isn't misconstrued, but what is the purpose of this thread? We all contribute to society, and most of us work pretty hard at it.

- Do auto manufacturers need to write a letter making sure everyone is thankful for school buses?
- Do bricklayers need to write a letter making sure everyone is thankful that schools are built?
- How about clothing manufacturers making sure everybody knows how hard they work to sew school uniforms?

OBnursemom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:36 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Nurses and social workers? Nurses make double what social workers make and with half the training. Not sure why they are comparable. Off topic I know but just stood out at me.

This is so untrue. I invite you to spend some time in nursing school if you really believe that. Nursing school is hard.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:40 am
What interesting directions this thread is taking off in.

This thread is ONE woman's musings, based on HER experiences.
I hope I can validate her without dissing all the other incredibly hard-working stressed out women reading this.

OP, I don't know what this next act of your life is about, if you're working somewhere else or if you're at a point where you really need to be home with your kids. But kol hakavod for all you've done for all our kids. Teaching today is really, really complicated. Not just because you have to be "on" as was mentioned, in front of increasingly larger classes, but because those classrooms are getting increasingly complicated. Besides juggling IEPs, individuated instruction, etc., there is so much attitude to deal with.

I wish all of our teachers, in whatever classrooms, only the best, and the koach and chachma they need to work well and effectively.

BTW, I just noticed this the Teachers' Room forum. Maybe talking about the terms of their schedules should be done elsewhere.

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:03 am
It is silly how this is morphing into a “Who has it harder” thread.

We all do, in our own way. Next.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:31 am
As a teacher and as someone who has worked in office positions I love the schedule. When my kids are off I don't need to look for baby sitters bec I have off too. However I get paid pennies for the work I do. Furthermore I don't ever get vacation as my kids are always off too. I'm not complaining. I chose this and I am happy. These are facts. It's not an opinion. It's not a contest. There have been threads here complaining about schools and teachers. Let's all celebrate and support each other. Yes we love your kids and think about them. We worry about them, we change our lessons to accommodate them. We are all in this together!

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:38 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
This is so untrue. I invite you to spend some time in nursing school if you really believe that. Nursing school is hard.

I am a nurse lol. All you need is an associate's degree (altho I do hold a bsn) a social work degree requires a masters. ALOT more expensive and time consuming. Where I live social worker starting salary is 35-40k working full time. Nurses start at 60k.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics