Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone have a theory on this nit check policy?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:00 pm
I have boys in elementary and high school in a certain well known popular yeshiva. The yeshiva has a firm policy that thru 8th grade, no student will be allowed into class unless they are checked for nits. High school boys don't need to be checked. Any ideas why? I'm wondering if it's because all the nit checkers are woman and it's not tznius for them to check a high school bocher. It wouldn't explain why they can't ask a man to do the job.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:03 pm
Maybe high school boys are old enough to detect if they have nits.
I never heard of a girls' high school where the girls must get checked.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:31 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Maybe high school boys are old enough to detect if they have nits.
I never heard of a girls' high school where the girls must get checked.

Same.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 9:43 pm
In addition to above, lice aren't typically a problem with highschool aged children.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:17 pm
In our kid's school the boys in 7th and eighth grade don’t get checked. It never made sense to me because if one of them had lice they’d bring it in to the whole school, but I guess they don’t want women touching the boys. I think it’s a great money maker for some men/bochurom to learn how to check.

notshanarishona

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:19 pm
Boys have much less hair and it's more uncommon to get lice .

tigerwife

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:21 pm
Our high school never had lice checking either.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:24 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Our high school never had lice checking either.

My high school didn't have routine checking either but that doesn't mean that noone got lice. I had younger siblings, as did many of my friends, and so there were some lice issues. I got it at least twice in high school and I wasn't the only one.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:27 pm
out-of-towner wrote:
My high school didn't have routine checking either but that doesn't mean that noone got lice. I had younger siblings, as did many of my friends, and so there were some lice issues. I got it at least twice in high school and I wasn't the only one.

But you figured it out based on the itchiness and took care of it, right? There were no mandatory lice checks.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:29 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
In our kid's school the boys in 7th and eighth grade don’t get checked. It never made sense to me because if one of them had lice they’d bring it in to the whole school, but I guess they don’t want women touching the boys. I think it’s a great money maker for some men/bochurom to learn how to check.

It's not about the women not touching the boys. If they wanted the boys checked - they could very well get men to do it.

studying_torah

Post Sat, Aug 31 2019, 10:49 pm
We had nit checks in high school

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:34 am
notshanarishona wrote:

I thought the same. Until I found 100+ lice inside my four yr old son's hair.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 4:20 am
Just take a good lice comb and run it through his hair (after a haircut) and send a signed note that he has been checked.
Maybe it’s right maybe not. Just check him, it should take a couple minutes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:06 am
notshanarishona wrote:
That is just not true. Lice does not pick between long or short hair. Boys can have lice with short hair just as much as girls with longer hair can have lice.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:23 pm
Lice don't like oily/greasy hair, and teenagers tend to have hair that gets oily really fast. That may have something to do with why they don't get as much lice. What

suremom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have boys in elementary and high school in a certain well known popular yeshiva. The yeshiva has a firm policy that thru 8th grade, no student will be allowed into class unless they are checked for nits. High school boys don't need to be checked. Any ideas why? I'm wondering if it's because all the nit checkers are woman and it's not tznius for them to check a high school bocher. It wouldn't explain why they can't ask a man to do the job.

Actually, once girls and boys hit puberty they are not as prone to get lice anymore. (neither are infants if you realized.)
Following link gives some explanation why.

https://headlicecenter.com/how.....ults/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics