Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How many hours a week do you work? New York
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not really... he isn’t being mean about it, he’s just saying listen this is how it is in ny. Everyone works a lot. Pple make it work. I just don’t know how pple do it..

They have a support system - paid or otherwise.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:29 pm
do you need to live in ny?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:29 pm
I never worked f/t with nursing baby, and I hope to never have to.
Now, I work 36 hours a week (fri is half a day) out of the house, + another 10-15 at night from home, depending on the week.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:31 pm
I work just under 36 hours a week oot. Dh works 40-55 hours a week. We both have about 4/5 weeks PTO over the yr. It's hard and sometimes I dream about going part time or not working at all but at the end of the day we are able to put money away which is important for our growing family.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:32 pm
BH I work full time 40 hours a week. My salary isn’t amazing but my benefits are. Bh!

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:33 pm
I was working full time and loved it- but once you have school age children it's basically impossible. School finishes at 4, you have to be there to pick up your kid or wait for their bus. And all these off days like chol hamoed or eruv YT.... I'd get stressed about it 2 months before with no solutions around.
If you have a live in or someone who can put your child onto buses and things like that then it's different. Since I had none of those, I switched to a part time job (15-20) hours a week. Felt really privileged to find one...
One more thing tho- it isn't always easier to work full time or part time- it's really just what works for you and your family. I'd love to go back to full time if family circumstances would allow it.

pecan

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:50 pm
Just want to say that every family has different dynamics. People I know that work full-time with little kids either have husbands that are very helpful, have a nanny or housekeeper, have family support or rely on conveniences. It's all about priority and being honest about your capabilities with the help you have, the children you have ( some are more demanding) and what you value

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 12:58 pm
pecan wrote:
Just want to say that every family has different dynamics. People I know that work full-time with little kids either have husbands that are very helpful, have a nanny or housekeeper, have family support or rely on conveniences. It's all about priority and being honest about your capabilities with the help you have, the children you have ( some are more demanding) and what you value

And some are falling apart.

Do a search on this site for working full time, and you'll see.

Just because something is done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

gamanit

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
And some are falling apart.

Do a search on this site for working full time, and you'll see.

Just because something is done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

Agree 100%

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:14 pm
I work 40+hrs/week as a nurse. Husband works full time as well. Plus commutes for both of us. DH also does consulting in addition to his full time job. This is just to make ends meet and pay (subsidized) tuition. Average size family and no family nearby to help ever. And we are almost always barely hanging on by a thread.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 2:44 pm
I work part time. Dh full time and he makes a good salary bh. I might increase my hours when all my kids are in school full time.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:38 pm
Varies from 40-60 hours. I’m a single mom.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 3:59 pm
[quote="amother [ Forestgreen ]"]I work 40+hrs/week as a nurse. Husband works full time as well. Plus commutes for both of us. DH also does consulting in addition to his full time job. This is just to make ends meet and pay (subsidized) tuition. Average size family and no family nearby to help ever. And we are almost always barely hanging on by a thread.[/quote

Can I ask how much your combined income is?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 4:03 pm
I work about 72 hours a week. DH works about 90.
We have our own business and live in help.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 4:06 pm
I work for about 6 hours a week from home but I’m able to work up to 16 hours a week if my boss needs me to. I set my own hours.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 5:15 pm
Dh works about 50 hrs a week, I work about 15-22 hrs. I basically work all the hours the kids are in school (reason why it's 15-22 and not more is bec I also have travel time) when I have a nursing baby it's usually closer to 15 hrs or if I have a kid coming home at 3 and not 4 that year. We have 4 kids now. I can see us managing on this income with a 5 but after that I'm not sure. I get you OP. I don't know how people do more. I'm exhausted as is.

In general with the answers you got you need to factor in the amount of children - like do the people who work p/t have four children or eight? It makes a real difference

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 5:22 pm
I work 41 hours a week and my husband is in kollel. Don't know if it counts though because I run a daycare from home.

LibiBamizrach

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:09 pm
I work 25 hours a week plus commute. Dh is a rebbe and in kollel. It's tough...

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:58 pm
I work 46-60 hours a week with 6 kids, ages 1-15 (one still nursing). It sucks. I make do fairly well all things considered, but I wish dh had a way more lucrative career and I could relax a bit!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:16 pm
I live in NY. Dh works full time, I work part time. We BH don't go into real debt flit monthly expenses, but it's tight. When I worked full time, finances weren't any better because I paid so much more in childcare.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics