Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is your home jointly owned or just one one name? Why?
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 9:45 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Can both spouses own the home if only one spouse is on the mortgage? In theory it's better to have 1 spouse on the mortgage if possible, since in the event something goes wrong, only one persons credit gets messed up as opposed to both spouses.

Our home is owned jointly. Only my husband's name is on the mortgage. The bank account we pay mortgage from is a joint account.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:08 pm
Only dh name on the mortgage, I believe on the deed too. As some of you said just incase something c"v happens it should only be on someones credit.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:10 pm
My parents' house is in my mom's name only. My dad is a lawyer and they wanted to keep the house out of any potential malpractice suits.

apples1

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:15 pm
My dh is the only one on deed. This way we can still get first time home buyer rates again should we want to buy another home, and it would be under my name.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:28 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Can both spouses own the home if only one spouse is on the mortgage? In theory it's better to have 1 spouse on the mortgage if possible, since in the event something goes wrong, only one persons credit gets messed up as opposed to both spouses.

Yes both of you can be on title and deed but not on mortgage. So you can both own with just one of you on the mortgage

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:58 pm
Originally a joint ownership and mortgage with my ex (now it's just me on the deed). IMO, if two people are married and purchasing a house together, even if the money is from just one party's earnings, both should be on the deed.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:31 pm
J
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I own my house. My husband is a professional service provider - and though he has professional malpractice insurance should something go terribly wrong - our home is not an asset we want anyone to get their hands on.

Did he ask an attorney about this? Because AIUI, in most states, a lien against one spouse cannot be made on the principal residence held as tenants by the entirety.

tante_feige

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:48 pm
FYI, in some jurisdictions both spouses co-own assets with titles, every if only one spouse has their name on the title.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
JDid he ask an attorney about this? Because AIUI, in most states, a lien against one spouse cannot be made on the principal residence held as tenants by the entirety.

AIUI - not everybody lives in the states.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:22 pm
We own jointly although my husband wasn't able to make it to the settlement during our engagement. I arranged for him to go a week later and add his name to the deed. I did it because I wanted to set a precedent that we are equal partners despite me earning the money and him in kollel and me paying the bills and he not involved in that. I never wanted him to feel anything but total equality and security and partnership and I know he appreciates this. For the same reason I added him to my bank account although it makes no practical difference as he doesn't know how to use online banking etc.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating